proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
M4 Coupe or M4 Convertible?

A friend of mine once said "convertibles are for 50 year old bald men" and swayed me away from it. I love convertibles, I love having the top down but I don't like the price tag. I know the convo M4 won't be around for a few more months and I also know that the convo won't be as light as the coupe but should I wait? Will it be worth the extra ten grand?

Thoughts?
      06-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

To good: The convertible has a nice hard top, and its fun to drive with the top down

The Bad: It weighs 400+ lbs more than the hard top. With top up, profile looks awkward.
      06-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops
A friend of mine once said "convertibles are for 50 year old bald men" and swayed me away from it. I love convertibles, I love having the top down but I don't like the price tag. I know the convo M4 won't be around for a few more months and I also know that the convo won't be as light as the coupe but should I wait? Will it be worth the extra ten grand?

Thoughts?
Never let the opinions of others influence how you live your life.

If you love convertibles and can afford the extra cash, then by all means, get what you love.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 3
      06-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post

If you love convertibles and can afford the extra cash, then by all means, get what you love.
It's kind of hard to ignore the advice of The Most Interesting Man In The World... Even when he tells you not to listen to others and do what you want to do. Looking at his face, you just want to do what HE tells you to do!!!!!!!!!
      06-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I'm a 33 year old man and I drive a convertible. Also not bald. I think your friend may be a bit confuse.... To me it's worth the extra money and weight. Way to fun to cruise with the top down, and I don't track.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops
Quote:

It's kind of hard to ignore the advice of The Most Interesting Man In The World... Even when he tells you not to listen to others and do what you want to do. Looking at his face, you just want to do what HE tells you to do!!!!!!!!!
Stay thirsty my friend!

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post
I'm a 33 year old man and I drive a convertible. Also not bald. I think your friend may be a bit confuse.... To me it's worth the extra money and weight. Way to fun to cruise with the top down, and I don't track.
I don't plan on tracking either. My 2 concerns are:

1) Interior leather sun wear

2) Number of days in the year that I could actually take advantage of a convertible in this ridiculous Texas heat.
      06-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Stay thirsty my friend!
I will try. I sure will try sensei...
      06-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops View Post
I don't plan on tracking either. My 2 concerns are:

1) Interior leather sun wear

2) Number of days in the year that I could actually take advantage of a convertible in this ridiculous Texas heat.
I don't plan on having my car nearly long enough for leather issues. Also the top is only down on nice days while I'm driving. We have cold winters in NY so leather wear is non-issue for me. But it certainly does get hot sitting there in direct sunlight on summer days.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
But it certainly does get hot sitting there in direct sunlight on summer days.
Dude... you think it gets hot in NY on summer days? Try sitting in the Texas 110deg sun on summer days in your convo then complain!!
      06-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep

BTW - this is my first convertible and you will be surprised how dirty the interior gets (dusty) from driving with it open. ....still worth it though.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dude... you think it gets hot in NY on summer days? Try sitting in the Texas 110deg sun on summer days in your convo then complain!!
that's my point - i think it gets hot in NY - therefore I'm sure it's boiling in TX..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
BTW - this is my first convertible and you will be surprised how dirty the interior gets (dusty) from driving with it open. ....still worth it though.
I am fully aware... I had an '06 Mustang GT convertible for the better part of 2 years...
      06-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
that's my point - i think it gets hot in NY - therefore I'm sure it's boiling in TX..
Honestly I think I will only be able to take advantage of the top down in spring for a month and in fall for a month and that's it.

Sigh... what to do...
      06-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

When you have a convertible, you'll do everything you can to keep the top down. Here in FL w/my E93 328, I've been getting up early, going out on cloudy days, driving in the evening, or whatever else I can to enjoy the last few weeks of having my convertible.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Even if you have extra pounds for the 0-60 you lose what 0.2/0.3 secs? I have an order in for an M4 Convertible BSM/SO loaded except full leather (didn't want too much SO). The average American is 80% obese, so even if you are or not, the incentive is to work out and living longer to enjoy your car (1 hour moderate workout ~ 8 hours extra life) plus your car will go faster if you shed extra pounds.

Now, I haven't seen any performance tests comparing the handling of the coupe compared to the convertible. Given the weight distribution, it will be different. Some people said the road feel is better.. Also, if BMW comes back with a competition package or with reprogramming, you might get that 0.2 back.

For me, I've always wanted a convertible. In my view you have two cars in one. If you have friend(s)/family with you in the car, I think they would want to be in the convertible as opposed to a coupe. Don't you want to jump in the car without opening the door, like Batman? Or drive to a scenic place with your someone special and look at the stars? You might be asked by relatives to use your car for things like weddings and such. Blind spot detection is eliminate by lowering your roof. If you buy like those big Italian breads or have golf clubs, don't open the trunk - just toss it in the back seat which you opened the roof with Comfort access remotely while walking to your car. What's better to bring to the beach, a enclosed coupe or an open air fun convertible that happens to be an M4?

The drawback is that if you go out to eat with co-workers, they will all want to have you drive them to lunch.

Tracking? I'm not sure the special rules for a convertible, but I know from this board people do that.

If you are worried about losing that carbon roof of a coupe, just carbon wrap your convertible roof.

Thanks! I was on the fence as well, but you solidified my choice!

Good luck!!!

Last edited by GlobalScientist; 06-18-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalScientist View Post
Even if you have extra pounds for the 0-60 you lose what 0.2/0.3 secs? I have an order in for an M4 Convertible BSM/SO loaded except full leather (didn't want too much SO). The average American is 80% obese, so even if you are or not, the incentive is to work out and living longer to enjoy your car (1 hour moderate workout ~ 8 hours extra life) plus your car will go faster if you shed extra pounds.

Now, I haven't seen any performance tests comparing the handling of the coupe compared to the convertible. Given the weight distribution, it will be different. Some people said the road feel is better.. Also, if BMW comes back with a competition package or with reprogramming, you might get that 0.2 back.

For me, I've always wanted a convertible. In my view you have two cars in one. If you have friend(s)/family with you in the car, I think they would want to be in the convertible as opposed to a coupe. Don't you want to jump in the car without opening the door, like Batman? Or drive to a scenic place with your someone special and look at the stars? You might be asked by relatives to use your car for things like weddings and such. Blind spot detection is eliminate by lowering your roof. If you buy like those big Italian breads or have golf clubs, don't open the trunk - just toss it in the back seat which you opened the roof with Comfort access remotely while walking to your car. What's better to bring to the beach, a enclosed coupe or an open air fun convertible that happens to be an M4?

The drawback is that if you go out to eat with co-workers, they will all want to have you drive them to lunch.

Tracking? I'm not sure the special rules for a convertible, but I know from this board people do that.

If you are worried about losing that carbon roof of a coupe, just carbon wrap you convertible roof.

Thanks! I was on the fence as well, but you solidified my choice!

Good luck!!!
Sigh... and you made my choice even harder with all your valid arguments

06-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:

He posted in a Forum asking for advice and your response is to say dont take anyones advice, ever?
      06-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #19
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:

Thoughts?
Don't let history repeat itself the only thought that matter is yours and yours alone. Who give a f what the next person says. Holla
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian
Quote:

He posted in a Forum asking for advice and your response is to say dont take anyones advice, ever?
Not exactly. His friend made a comment that is pretty much crazy and inaccurate. There is nothing wrong with listening to the opinions of others. However, in the end he should do what he wants to do.

Too many people end up putting too much credibility in the opinions of others and end up with something they don't like.

Debating whether to get a convertible or not is right along the lines of debating an exterior color. In the end, it comes down to what you like.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #21
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Not exactly. His friend made a comment that is pretty much crazy and inaccurate. There is nothing wrong with listening to the opinions of others. However, in the end he should do what he wants to do.

Too many people end up putting too much credibility in the opinions of others and end up with something they don't like.

Debating whether to get a convertible or not is right along the lines of debating an exterior color. In the end, it comes down to what you like.
I should never have started this post... Now I'm depressed, and will have to cancel my coupe order.
      06-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #22
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Quote:

- For a guy, you want to find the opinion of another that agrees with you. You already made your choice. Just find someone that agrees with your choice and that lucky person will be the first one riding in your car going out for beers celebrating the expert advise he/she gave you. Makes perfect sense to me asking someone's opinion - that's the fun of it!
Appreciate 0