BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

11-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Giovanna360
Rep
Drives: Ducati S4R

M3 or No M3?

Hey,

So I have a dilemma. I currently live and go to school in Florida. The only vehicle I have down here is my Ducati. My father just informed me that my grandmother has given my sister and I each a check for $36k to buy a car with (late graduation present for me). I am either going to buy a 07 Tahoe LTZ, or a used H2SUT, and keep my bike or, if I sell my bike (which my father hates) he will most likely pay the difference for me to get a new M3. My last car was a E46 M3 which I had for a year. Whatever I choose will be the last vehicle my family assists me with, as I am currently on my own (aside from this). Thanks for your input I cant decide what to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Since it's obvious that you aren't hurting for money, get the ///M. M or SUV? Is that a serious question?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Some will probably offer wiser financial advice on what to do with $36k being that you're a student but I'll be the devil's advocate and tell you what I'd do myself if I were in your age and in the same situation. I'd sell the bike, get the M3 and live it up in a climate where driving an M3 all year would be pure heaven. Without the bike, you'll live longer and with the M3, you won't miss the bike as much. It's not financially sound advice but when it came to cars, I was never the wiser in my 20's and even less so now that I'm 35. And if I were the father in the same situation, I'd gladly pay the difference to get my son an M3 if it meant getting him out of riding a bike. So I'm not surprised at his stance regarding this

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Your Ducati is 1000 times more fun (and more dangerous) than any car.

You are young, stay with the bike, and get a 135i
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Let's be gentlemen with helpful/constructive responses please. Thanks.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
Giovanna360
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Some will probably offer wiser financial advice on what to do with $36k being that you're a student but I'll be the devil's advocate and tell you what I'd do myself if I were in your age and in the same situation. I'd sell the bike, get the M3 and live it up in a climate where driving an M3 all year would be pure heaven. Without the bike, you'll live longer and with the M3, you won't miss the bike as much. It's not financially sound advice but when it came to cars, I was never the wiser in my 20's and even less so now that I'm 35. And if I were the father in the same situation, I'd gladly pay the difference to get my son an M3 if it meant getting him out of riding a bike. So I'm not surprised at his stance regarding this

Enjoy!
Hmm. Yea the money is specifically for a vehicle. I might actually invest it if I was allowed to. My dad is against giving me "money" because he wants me to be hungry when I get out of school. Yea M3 would be SO much fun but the image that keeps popping into my head is my idiot friends packing into it. On the bike, the only passenger is occasionally a hot girl . I could then have the SUV for my idiot friends. Maybe throw a good sound system in. Idono. I love the idea of driving an M3 tho. My family races cars and I have always LOVED driving performance cars. The bike is a solid source of adrenaline tho.

Quote:
Your Ducati is 1000 times more fun (and more dangerous) than any car.

You are young, stay with the bike, and get a 135i
Yea that is true and I LOVE the bike. Its almost too fast. I hate the 135i. I think there is more to a car than performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Giovanna360
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Since it's obvious that you aren't hurting for money, get the ///M. M or SUV? Is that a serious question?
Yea it is because I would have to sell my sweet bike lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Giovanna360 is the mature one
Pointless thread. He is not mature. He starts cursing when you pull his leg, which got deleted along with my poking fun at him (and come on, the post deserves some humor in return). You are cursing, too, by the way.

To answer the question, he should get the SUV since he has had a M3 before.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Giovanna360
Rep

Quote:
So, do you think Lewis Hamilton is not worthy to be in F1 because he is too young?

Quote:
Wow, what a prick you are. There was no need to attack him and go on with BS about "kid not even out of college has no business owning an M3" and "punk that wouldn't have shit without daddy paying for it". WTF?! Who are you to say if someone has any business owning an M3 or not despite their age. Age has little to do with it. There are some azzhats much older than him that have no business driving an M3, and who is to say he's not a very mature and responsible kid who lives a privileged life? Perhaps he deserves it? Nobody knows. But based on what I've read on this thread so far, Giovanna360 is the mature one, and you are looking more and more like just some jealous bitter a55hole whining about how him driving a 335 and some kid with the means to get an M3 equates to something being seriously wrong with this country. Geez. This thread did not suck until all the stupid jealous comments started popping up.

And no, I'm not another youth driving a hot car who finds it necessary to defend another. I'm 35 and have worked my butt off to buy my toys, but also find nothing wrong with the lucky ones who have the opportunity to enjoy such things while they're even younger.
Thank you! This is why I still check this forum daily. Maybe I should have specified my question to people like you.

Quote:
Pointless thread. He is not mature. He starts cursing when you pull his leg, which got deleted along with my poking fun at him (and come on, the post deserves some humor in return). You are cursing, too, by the way.
I apologize for cursing. I got angry with that guy...probably too fast. I don't think you can say that I am immature because of one slip though?

Quote:
To answer the question, he should get the SUV since he has had a M3 before.
Finally lol. Yea that's what I was originally thinking. I was thinking about a used 996TT but do not think I could sell that idea to my dad. I also don't like AWD sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesier1111 View Post
Yeah, right.......sure, I bet you are a professional driver already. Your right back to topic of THIS IS ANOTHER RIDICULOUS THREAD. An idiot with a 335, yup thats me. Your the punk that wouldn't have shit without daddy paying for it.

Hmm. I am torn on this subject.

I will say that hitting a highway barrier or another car at 100mph is going to kill weather you are in an M3 or a Honda Civic. Both are more than capable of killing a stupid or immature driver. The arguement that the M3 is any more dangerous in the hands of a young dosnt have a lot of merit when even late 90's Civics are fast enough to end your life in a heart beat. Does hitting another car at 100mph or 150mph really make that big of difference?

My point being that a stupid or immature driver, regardless of age, is going to kill himself/herself in Civic as easily as they could in an M3.

Another point is that there are some seriously young race car drivers out there, including teenage F1 drivers that have more skill in there pinky fingers than all the skill on this forum.

Jason
      11-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:

Enjoy!
+1,000
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #12
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanna360 View Post
Hmm. Yea the money is specifically for a vehicle. I might actually invest it if I was allowed to. My dad is against giving me "money" because he wants me to be hungry when I get out of school. Yea M3 would be SO much fun but the image that keeps popping into my head is my idiot friends packing into it. On the bike, the only passenger is occasionally a hot girl . I could then have the SUV for my idiot friends. Maybe throw a good sound system in. Idono. I love the idea of driving an M3 tho. My family races cars and I have always LOVED driving performance cars. The bike is a solid source of adrenaline tho.

Yea that is true and I LOVE the bike. Its almost too fast. I hate the 135i. I think there is more to a car than performance.
why not wait for the M3 sedan or a used m5?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Pointless

I agree on this thread being mostly pointless. This forum is for folks to talk about the M3. Well the M3 as well as close its competitors in the sports/GT class as well. It is not so much for helping someone who is so undecided he can not decide between an M3 an SUV or a Ducati. OP - you have some serious "soul searching" to do if you need to go to m3post.com to inquire about deciding among the vehicles you listed - JMHO.

I don't want to get into the age/finances aspects of your post too deeply, but nonetheless, I do think your desire to immediately (<10 posts) talk so much about the finances of said purchase and family aspects of your decision say something about you that is shall we say..."undesireable" to many on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #14
Bemve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW/FR e92 M3

pfff so easy to answer this problem of yours....

M3 hands down
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

If you get your dad will kick in the difference for the M3 then TAKE IT. I mean, come on, that's free money no matter how you slice it. If you really want a Ducati then just wait til you can afford to buy one on your own - probably the year after you graduate if not sooner.

If you need to cart a few friends, maybe go for the E90 M3 instead of the E92.

Think about it this way - no one, and I mean no one - who sees the M3, rides in the M3, or who just knows you own the M3 will ever say, "Yeah, this M3 is great, but you really should have bought a Tahoe LTZ or H2SUT instead.". I mean wow - a Tahoe LTZ?!? Are you planning to cart some kids to a soccer game between classes?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #16
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

This thread is dumb, stupid and irrelevant to this forum. Dear Abby would be proud.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #17
zzzdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: Imola M3

m3 easy one.

tahoe in college? who doesn't have one? get the m3 or the range ss
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread