BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

09-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Running Camber Plates vs stock perches on lowered springs

I have been trying to put pieces together from reading different threads but want to shine some clarity on an issue.

So folks running stock EDC shocks and upgrading to lowering springs (in my case am looking at Eibach) needed to shave the stock spring perches and run an E36 M3 bumpstop.

I have GC Camber Plate and cannot modify (shave in this case) the unit. Are folks out there still running lowering springs with stock shocks and GC or Vorshlag equivalent plates? If so, will the process be the same as running E36 bumptops without modified plates? Any set backs (reduced travel etc.?)

Thanks in advance.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I'm under the impression that the shaved plates don't do anything for travel (this is achieved by the bump stops), but they physically locate the strut shaft closer to a stock position (i.e. the position of the strut shaft relative to the strut body) when using lowering springs. Not much you can do when using camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
I'm under the impression that the shaved plates don't do anything for travel (this is achieved by the bump stops), but they physically locate the strut shaft closer to a stock position (i.e. the position of the strut shaft relative to the strut body) when using lowering springs. Not much you can do when using camber plates.
Thanks Apecush, so long and short, no adverse reaction.

Can run Eibach's with the shortened bumptops with my EDC shocks and Camber tops without any other fabrication/modification right?

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

pretty much the exact set-up I'm installing next spring, so yes.
Appreciate 0