BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-10-2007, 04:06 AM   #1
wilkoal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Msport

My own test drives

A word of caution...the following are just my own opinions following 3 (three) different test drives I had the chance to make in the past weeks. I now have a pretty good idea as the car feels.

As I own a 325i (with sport suspension and 17 wheels) I will try to give some feedback point by point vs the M3.

Driving position:
Excellent just like my E91 with a slight difference.
Brake and throttle pedals seem a bit closer and this makes easier the "heel and toe" (blipping with the throttle , in order to raise the engine revs, when downshifting.) That's important and will explain why in a moment.
From the driving seat the view is somehow disturbed by the powerdome which is too big (in my opinion) and hide partially the view of the front opposite side.

Steering and M steering wheel:
The M wheel is not new to me as I have it on my car and just love it.
The steering.....In my very first drive impression was a bit negative, too light and little feedback comparing to my E91.
By the time of the second and third test drive the overall impression got better and could be summarized:
in the city and at low speed feels at least 50% lighter than my car;
u turns and parking this M servotronic feel just like the Active steering option (E90/91/92);
as speed increase with bends it is still at least 30% lighter than my car but precise. You know where you are placing your tires however because of the lighter feeling it takes full attention when driving "spirited".

Engine/Clutch/Gearbox:
The engine is fantastic, as simple as that.
I mashed the car a bit and easily got 120km/h in second at 8400rpm and 180km/h in third. It revs so fast that once you past 6500rpm you better be ready to shift because you'll reach redline in a heartbeat. In a sense is like riding a sport motorbike where you are always very much ready to timely shift at high revs. Bikers know what I'm taking about!

Clutch and gear stick feels slightly lighter than mine and that's a surprise considering torque and power under the hood. It is not a fast stick as you would expect from such a car. When speeding, downshifts from 3 to 2 (without heel and toe) can result in block of wheels and/or resistance/opposition of the stick. This car really call for a proper heel and toe technique and fortunately the pedals alignment allow an average driver like myself to do it. (I will be eagerly waiting the DCT to address this).

Brakes: they are responsive but not breathtaking as I personally would expect from this type of car.

Dynamics and grip: nothing short of awesome in dry conditions. Tires stick like glue and DSC will do its job with no much intrusion.
A mention to the "sound" ..... addictive!

The cars I test drove had 19" wheels Mdrive and EDC and I intentionally left all the seettings to normal as I will consider ordering one with no such options.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Thanks for the report!
I've got one question: To which steering setting are you referring your comparison of 30%/50% lighter than on E91? Normal Servotronic setting or Servotronic Sport setting?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
wilkoal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Msport

Normal Servotronic setting.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
you might want to do the comparison in sports when going fast and normal or comfort when in the city.

nice review, anywayz. I am feeling really jealous that you got to drive the m3.

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkoal View Post
Normal Servotronic setting.

cheers
Thanks, what can you say about sport setting?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

[QUOTE=wilkoal;1518879]A word of caution...the following are just my own opinions following 3 (three) different test drives I had the chance to make in the past weeks. I now have a pretty good idea as the car feels.

As I own a 325i (with sport suspension and 17 wheels) I will try to give some feedback point by point vs the M3.

thanks for sharing:-)
are you Italian?

bye
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Thanks for the report
      10-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkoal View Post
The cars I test drove had 19" wheels Mdrive and EDC and I intentionally left all the seettings to normal as I will consider ordering one with no such options.

My 2 cents.

EDC Sport Mode is a must, as is the ability to make Steering Heavy and also make Throttle Response Quicker. Traction is less of an issue but you'd get it anyway. For me, the overall feel in Normal was light so ok for town driving but to really enjoy the car you need the above stuff at the press of the M Button - and when you do - the change is instant.
Appreciate 0