BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

05-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Lime Rock with SCDA

Nice day yesterday with SCDA at Lime Rock. As usual, Ian Prout and Elivan Goulart run a great event. Always a nice mix of cars--911s of all vintages, Caymans, Boxsters, E36 M3s, E46 M3s, E90/92/93 M3s, E36 race cars, Ferrari Challenge race cars, Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes, Subarus, Audi RS4s, Minis, Toyotas, Hondas, a Fiat Abarth (!), you name it.

It was hot, in the high 80s all day, and I was in a rush so didn't put up my tent in the paddock for sun protection, so I was pretty wiped out by the end. The car did great, as usual, but I definitely notice that, all other things being equal, it runs faster in cooler weather. I felt smooth and in the groove yesterday, but didn't break out of the 1:04s. In contrast, I ran there on Monday when it was 20 degrees cooler out, and managed a 1:03.16.

05-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Nide vid - like the racekeeper stuff. I gotta get me one of dem DCT cheat boxes!!!!!!

Doing NJMP at the end of June with SCDA?
      05-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
bklynbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Very very nice! I have to get myself that race keeper tech... where did you get yours?

You going back to Lime Rock on the 14th?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Excellent. I love running with SCDA. Great organization. Are you using a Schroth quick-fit pro? I wasn't aware they made one that fit the e92?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
very cool, track looks like fun, (at least it is in iRacing). Nice data overlay as well, keep'em coming.
      05-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Nide vid - like the racekeeper stuff. I gotta get me one of dem DCT cheat boxes!!!!!!

Doing NJMP at the end of June with SCDA?
Nope, but doing NJMP Lightning June 21 with HOD. The DCT is very nice, but one of these days I'd like to do a stripped E36 or E46 M3 with a manly manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynbimmer View Post
Very very nice! I have to get myself that race keeper tech... where did you get yours?

You going back to Lime Rock on the 14th?
Got the RaceKeeper setup through Performance Information Technologies (PITData), which is based out of NJMP Thunderbolt. Rob Fini is the guy--his office is in the back of the General's Store at Thunderbolt. Nice guy and very helpful. He'll install a unit in your car for you to try for the day when you're down there, and will give you coaching based on your runs and data for $225 or so. That cost then goes toward the RaceKeeper if you choose to buy. The system provides tons of data, more than I know what to do with, and allows you to compare runs directly side-by-side, with video and data all integrated. The only downside is that the cameras aren't the same resolution as an HD GoPro. You can hook up to 4 cameras to the unit, though, and various race series use this setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03///m3 View Post
Excellent. I love running with SCDA. Great organization. Are you using a Schroth quick-fit pro? I wasn't aware they made one that fit the e92?
Yep--QuickFit Pro, and it works great. It's the one designated for the R55 Mini Cooper, but it works just fine in our cars--quite a few of us on here are using this setup. See the thread on here about the long saga of getting the specific E9X M3 QuickFit Pro authorized for our cars based on seatback testing, etc. We've given up and gone with the Mini harness, which is likely the exact same.
      05-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Awesome driving, love how you're using the whole track, almost like your on the grass Total roller coaster of a track and looks like a helluva lot of fun. Think I'd get dizzy on a sub 1 min lap. Sweet vid and overlay, looking good
      05-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I was there running in the blue group. It was a great day. What color is your car? I have the Jerez Black M3 with the Volk wheels. I was parked near the restrooms on the back side near all the standing water. Damn I wish knew who you were I woulda stopped by to say hello.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
very cool, track looks like fun, (at least it is in iRacing). Nice data overlay as well, keep'em coming.
Thanks. I need to try iRacing sometime. Although once I got it set up with all the accessories, my kids would probably be on it all the time. I'd never get to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Awesome driving, love how you're using the whole track, almost like your on the grass Total roller coaster of a track and looks like a helluva lot of fun. Think I'd get dizzy on a sub 1 min lap. Sweet vid and overlay, looking good
Thanks. It would be a good combo trip for you--Watkins Glen and Lime Rock in one road trip. Relatively close to each other, just a few hours apart, and beautiful country to drive through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
I was there running in the blue group. It was a great day. What color is your car? I have the Jerez Black M3 with the Volk wheels. I was parked near the restrooms on the back side near all the standing water. Damn I wish knew who you were I woulda stopped by to say hello.
Interlagos blue sedan. I was parked at the other end of the paddock, all the way over by turn one. I came late, around 12:30pm, so they let me mix into different run groups in the afternoon. I ran with Advanced twice and Int 1 twice, even though I was registered for Int 2. I saw your car and noticed the TE37SLs. Looks great. I was going to say hi, but didn't see anyone around the car when I walked by. Catch you next time.
      06-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Nope, but doing NJMP Lightning June 21 with HOD. The DCT is very nice, but one of these days I'd like to do a stripped E36 or E46 M3 with a manly manual.

Got the RaceKeeper setup through Performance Information Technologies (PITData), which is based out of NJMP Thunderbolt. Rob Fini is the guy--his office is in the back of the General's Store at Thunderbolt. Nice guy and very helpful. He'll install a unit in your car for you to try for the day when you're down there, and will give you coaching based on your runs and data for $225 or so. That cost then goes toward the RaceKeeper if you choose to buy. The system provides tons of data, more than I know what to do with, and allows you to compare runs directly side-by-side, with video and data all integrated. The only downside is that the cameras aren't the same resolution as an HD GoPro. You can hook up to 4 cameras to the unit, though, and various race series use this setup.

Yep--QuickFit Pro, and it works great. It's the one designated for the R55 Mini Cooper, but it works just fine in our cars--quite a few of us on here are using this setup. See the thread on here about the long saga of getting the specific E9X M3 QuickFit Pro authorized for our cars based on seatback testing, etc. We've given up and gone with the Mini harness, which is likely the exact same.
That's great. I wasn't aware that we could use the quickfit for the R55. I will definitely be getting one. I see you have an E90. Do you know if it should fit with an E92 as well?

Also iRacing is awesome in case you haven't tried it. I'd completely addicted.

Last edited by 03///m3; 06-01-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03///m3 View Post
That's great. I wasn't aware that we could use the quickfit for the R55. I will definitely be getting one. I see you have an E90. Do you know if it should fit with an E92 as well?

Also iRacing is awesome in case you haven't tried it. I'd completely addicted.
Definitely fits the E92 as well. Here's a good how-to guide, put together by another forum member:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748462

Pretty straightforward. Just give yourself time to do it and it's pretty easy.

Most have been getting them through HMS:

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...k-fit-pro-mini
      06-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Ian is a great guy. This was my first time running with SCDA and they did a great job. Intermediate 1 became very interesting during session 2. There were two spins, one resulting in an off and both occurring within about five minutes of one another. One spin was directly in front of me coming into turn one. The guy came in way hot. I took evasive maneuvers and came out ok. As a result we got a "black flag all" which I have never seen. I guess there was a little too much testosterone on that run.

There wasn't nearly as much drama on sessions 3 and 4. I had to pit in about half way through session 4 as I was running out of gas. Gotta love the V8!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Raydogg920
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I am on the fence but really want to get involved in the next limerock day.
I see on the scda site a novice must have an instructor in shotgun, any experiences with that?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ian is a great guy. This was my first time running with SCDA and they did a great job. Intermediate 1 became very interesting during session 2. There were two spins, one resulting in an off and both occurring within about five minutes of one another. One spin was directly in front of me coming into turn one. The guy came in way hot. I took evasive maneuvers and came out ok. As a result we got a "black flag all" which I have never seen. I guess there was a little too much testosterone on that run.

There wasn't nearly as much drama on sessions 3 and 4. I had to pit in about half way through session 4 as I was running out of gas. Gotta love the V8!
Sometimes it's hard to pick which way to go when someone spins in front of you. I had a Corvette blow its engine in front of me at NJMP last year. I was lost in a cloud of white smoke and luckily chose the right path through it.

Love the V8--I go through a quarter of a tank per session!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydogg920 View Post
I am on the fence but really want to get involved in the next limerock day.
I see on the scda site a novice must have an instructor in shotgun, any experiences with that?
Have you done a trackday before? Instructors are a must and mandated by most organizations for novice groups. I even ask for one every once in a while in high intermediate/advanced to give me additional advice/pointers.
      06-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Definitely fits the E92 as well. Here's a good how-to guide, put together by another forum member:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748462

Pretty straightforward. Just give yourself time to do it and it's pretty easy.

Most have been getting them through HMS:

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...k-fit-pro-mini
Thanks I appreciate the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
bklynbimmer
Private First Class
Rep

I may have ran out of gas on the up-hill a few months ago.... rolled all the way off track, past pits, and into a parking spot

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:

Intermediate 1 is the worst group to run in, especially first session of the day...a lot of people just signed off to run solo and really excited about it mixed in with folks with a little more experience. It has the biggest speed differential between cars in the group, which is a recipe for freight train hell at LRP.

All of the groups I run with this year (and late last year) have stopped doing "hot pulls" of stuck cars at HPDEs and bring everyone in. I think an event last year had someone drive into a recovery crew during a hot pull at an HPDE, so every one is more safety conscious now.
      06-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes it's hard to pick which way to go when someone spins in front of you. I had a Corvette blow its engine in front of me at NJMP last year. I was lost in a cloud of white smoke and luckily chose the right path through it.

Love the V8--I go through a quarter of a tank per session!

Have you done a trackday before? Instructors are a must and mandated by most organizations for novice groups. I even ask for one every once in a while in high intermediate/advanced to give me additional advice/pointers.
Quote:
I may have ran out of gas on the up-hill a few months ago.... rolled all the way off track, past pits, and into a parking spot
I have done four track days at LRP previous to this one and I don't ever remember running out of gas. I must have been doing it right this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Intermediate 1 is the worst group to run in, especially first session of the day...a lot of people just signed off to run solo and really excited about it mixed in with folks with a little more experience. It has the biggest speed differential between cars in the group, which is a recipe for freight train hell at LRP.

All of the groups I run with this year (and late last year) have stopped doing "hot pulls" of stuck cars at HPDEs and bring everyone in. I think an event last year had someone drive into a recovery crew during a hot pull at an HPDE, so every one is more safety conscious now.
You are absolutely right, Intermediate 1 was a free for all. It was a mix of capable drivers and some drivers that didn't have a clue (including the miata that was doing about 30mph though the esses while pointing people by.) On the flip side there was a little 325i that was eating me up through the downhill and westbend. We had some pretty good trains going, and also the point-bys were very spotty, especially down the front straight. I was riding with a Skippy instructor who finally just told me to pass a few times even without a point-by. If I run with them again I may bump to Intermediate 2. Hopefully there will be less drama.

Last edited by M3 Esq; 06-03-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will I see you at LRP on 6/14 with CVC?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Nice driving.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #21
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
cool video OP... your e90 is ripping it up... the weather has been so humid and I sure that affects times but great job! imo, it is a tricky track... like T-bolt in the hook.
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
bklynbimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Will I see you at LRP on 6/14 with CVC?
I will be there!
Appreciate 0