BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Mr Friese
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Is it Frowned Upon to Repaint?

Hey guys, I have some very slight road rash on my rockers and rear bumper and was thinking about just getting them resprayed after the winter instead of attempting any kind of repair. I'm kind of new to getting parts on my car repainted, but is it ok to have these pieces done / is this something that is commonly done? I've heard that repainting won't affect resale as long as it's a plastic panel, but I wasn't sure. Also, I would want to get these areas covered with clear bra as not to have this happen again. How long would I have to wait after the repaint to have this done?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
Hey guys, I have some very slight road rash on my rockers and rear bumper and was thinking about just getting them resprayed after the winter instead of attempting any kind of repair. I'm kind of new to getting parts on my car repainted, but is it ok to have these pieces done / is this something that is commonly done? I've heard that repainting won't affect resale as long as it's a plastic panel, but I wasn't sure. Also, I would want to get these areas covered with clear bra as not to have this happen again. How long would I have to wait after the repaint to have this done?

Thanks!
To be honest, spraying the side skirts isn't that big of a deal in my opinion.

Spraying other parts like trunk, doors, etc...that's what I would really care about. Spraying the sideskirts however isn't a big deal in my eyes, just make sure they painter can properly match the paint.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Well, if you need to get it done, you need to get it done. It will be better for resale than having it messed up. It is really not a big deal, but you need to find a good body-shop. Do your research, it will save you tons of trouble... or just ship it to IND. But paint jobs will mostly always effect resale, unless you got an aftermarket bumper (gotta paint those anyway). It is always best IMHO not to focus and stress to much about resale value... just enjoy the time you have with the car.

BTW, this was two years ago... shit happens, but life is too short to stress over these things.
+1. Anyone can hit you on the road and there goes resale value. Better to enjoy the car than worry about what's already a depreciating financial black hole regardless of whether you respray or not.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

A good shop respraying a bumper or rockers isn't going to impact value much as long as it is a good job (well matched paint) and the rest of the car is in good shape. A ladder fell off a truck in front of me and wound up clipping my bumper, pretty bad gouge so no way to touch up. Pissed but at least it wasn't the hood... Don't sweat it.
      01-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

If the repair is perfect, there is not really an impact on resale. The trick is a good body shop. Some can even match the orange peel pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
If you do it have it done at a BMW certified Body Shop, they do a good job.

I just refurbished our 1987 e28 it is a 535is (replaced both front bumpers) and the Certified BMW Body Shop used original OEM paint all looks great.

In lager centres BMW normally use Body Shops that are certified by them meaning some of the staff has been BMW trained and they use OEM original paint. Ask your dealership.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
TyroneJohnson
Banned
Rep
Drives: 99 civic ex

make sure you use lots of clear coat mang. i painted some thangs n they gots all scratched up cuz i aint use nuff clear coats
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
If the repair is perfect, there is not really an impact on resale. The trick is a good body shop. Some can even match the orange peel pretty close.
Yes, you can get paint jobs that are better then the original. Many custom paint shops can do the "orange peel", with no problem. It will cost you, but then it will look very nice. People that restore cars to "better then factory" are hard to find but they are out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I think he is serious - if the shop makes the clear coat mirror-finished, it will be noticeable compared to the rest of the paint, which normally has some orange peel effect. So ideally they would match it.

One advice as for resale - always take the before pictures and save them. If you show the buyer a minor scrape upfront and explain that it was what caused the repaint, they will have no reason to imagine your car was in a bigger accident. Also saving a paper invoice from the shop may serve the same purpose - no one is going to worry if it's just a $400-700 touch up job.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

My brother is a body man/painter and I always opt for flat sanding the whole thing, but he id talented enough to create enough texture in the paint so that there isn't a glaring difference between the two. It does not cost anything more however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
BeamingE39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slower than I'd like

Can you please take pictures of the roadrash on your rockers and rearbumper? I want to see if the damage is noticable enough for me to warrant clearbraing. After 11 years my e39 has rockchips on the bottom 4 inches of the hood and fenders, and all throughout the front bumper. But I don't see any on the rockers or rearbumper, and 2 reputable shops have told me it's not worth clearbraing those areas. I'm just curious thats all.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
If you do it have it done at a BMW certified Body Shop, they do a good job.

I just refurbished our 1987 e28 it is a 535is (replaced both front bumpers) and the Certified BMW Body Shop used original OEM paint all looks great.

In lager centres BMW normally use Body Shops that are certified by them meaning some of the staff has been BMW trained and they use OEM original paint. Ask your dealership.

Just FYI, independent body shops do fine work as well. Just have to find the right shop. I dare you to find a bad paint job with IND.

And please refrain from comments such as that one, because you have no idea about that subject. Clearly..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I've decided that I don't care about resale anymore. I'm going to keep my E90 as long as I can. I'm just trying to decide if I want to repaint it or just vinyl it. It's JzB, and while I don't mind it, it's not my favorite anymore. I'd love to have Mineral White, but if I vinyled it I'd do a matte white.

So I agree with everyone else. Enjoy the car, don't worry about resale for now.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Treat others like you expect to be treated

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
Just FYI, independent body shops do fine work as well. Just have to find the right shop. I dare you to find a bad paint job with IND.

And please refrain from comments such as that one, because you have no idea about that subject. Clearly..
This is what is done in Canada as long as as a BMW is under warranty. I assumed the same applies in the the USA, however I stand to be corrected.

After a BMW is past the warranty one can do whatever one likes.

As for your post (highlighted in italic above) I can only reply ... 1) you don't know me and 2) you have no clue whatsoever what my background and experience is.

So I can only recommend you read this first rule of this forum ... and if you have read it perhaps a second reading is in order

1) Respect. By far the most important rule here. Through the generations of BMW, enthusiasts have come together for the love of the car and the community. So the basic rules of real life apply here, show each other respect and you will get respect as well. Don't bash someone else here because you feel like it. Derogatory or insulting remarks will not be tolerated. This applies to all corners of the site - including posts, profile visitor messages, and thread tags.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-30-2012 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Made changes & added Forum Rule #1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #15
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Along these lines, anyone know whether an insurance claim prompts a Carfax report? I drove through a major puddle, it flooded my headlight out, 3200 bucks to replace the headlight, or 100 dollar on my insurance deductible, but then it may show up on carfax? And there's no body damage, just a new headlight cluster. Still can't really worry about resale, as wisely mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #16
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Taking pictures is a great idea... along with getting a quality body shop to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
dhahlen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 318is, e90 335i, e92 m3

local dealer jacked up my car, I am in the same boat. No way I'll let their body shop touch it, but it has to get done somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
Taking pictures is a great idea... along with getting a quality body shop to do it.
+100

... after all it is a M3 no one would send that kind of money for a car then drive it with unmatched colours or paint that would start to peal off in 12 to 18 months. I've learned this the hard way been there done that ... been driving BMW's since 1987

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Along these lines, anyone know whether an insurance claim prompts a Carfax report? I drove through a major puddle, it flooded my headlight out, 3200 bucks to replace the headlight, or 100 dollar on my insurance deductible, but then it may show up on carfax? And there's no body damage, just a new headlight cluster. Still can't really worry about resale, as wisely mentioned above.
I guess the only one that can really answer this would be a Body Shop I am thinking. Regulations may change from country to country or even State to State (Province to Province up here in Canada).

I would pose this question to the Body Shop Foreman/Manager to be sure. This way you will know 100% what the outcome will be.

Anyway, that is what I would do in your shoes $100- verses $3,200- is well worth this exercise / extra effort before proceeding.

Good Luck

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #20
Mr Friese
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Thanks for the comments so far guys. No question, that should I get the job done I will get it done at a BMW certified shop / dealer. My salesman had said that repainting plastic items on the car was known as a "wear and tear repair" and was fully acceptable, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys. From, the sounds of it though, he was right.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

not a big deal at all.

do your research and take your car to a reputable shop you will be fine.
Appreciate 0