BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Joining darkside:) placing M3 order-Q on optionss

Hi all,

Little back ground, since I've in Germany the last couple years I've been planning buying a new BMW before I return to the states. I've been following the 1M very closely the last year or so and have had a 3K deposit down on it for the last half year. Well as it seems the 1M will not be offered by military sales(maybe in November) any time soon and instead of wasting my last summer in Germany waiting on the possibility of getting the 1M I decided to pull the trigger on the M3.

I am looking for feedback from owners on a couple options I am split on. The main appeal of the 1M for me was the back basics approach, with that in mind I am getting a pretty stripper M3. Le mans blue, carbon leather trim, competition package, iPod adapter, alarm and sat radio.

My questions are can the iPhone play music through the iPod adapter? Any issues with the alarm? I figure even if is just a light that acts as a deterent it is worth the $400. Finally, and this depends on each individual, but experiences on the sat radio? Obviously I haven't had any first and experience with it over here.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
1.) Yes the iPhone can play music through the iPod adapter.

2.) Alarm Issues? Please explain.
Maybe not issues but experience with the alarm. I remember reading on 1addicts that some pax said the alarm was not worth the hassle of false alarms. I find it a little silly a 60k car does not come with an alarm so it makes sense to check that block, but I was just wondering if there was a valid reason not to.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

It is indeed strange that they don't just include it as standard - it's not like there are bunch of extra or expensive parts required to integrate the alarm. I guess BMW just wants the opportunity to charge extra for the option.

I have the alarm. Haven't had any issues with false alarms or anything of the like. Whether it's worth it or not depends on where you park. I always park in a secure garage, so I'm never concerned with security. I'm still glad I got it because I like the sound it makes when I lock/unlock the car (that might be available without the alarm, but I don't think it is) and I like the blinking red light that indicates it's armed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Let me see if I can help.

LMB all the way. Well, it is almost as hard to keep clean as black. I have it with Fox Red leather.

Since I am talking about leather, cloth is great on this car, but no longer comes with electric memory seats. If that is not an issue for you, stick with cloth.

Heated seats? Where do you live. For $500 - no brainer.

ZCP - nice wheels, but otherwise as Clarkson would say a button that makes it uncomfortable. If you want 19s, and like the ZCP wheels (I do), ZCP is a good value. But consider skipping ZCP and sticking with 18s and no EDC.

SAT radio? I dunno, HD radio works great.

USB adaptor, you may not need it. Maybe a smart German dealer will be able to help, but new M3s should have bluetooth streaming standard with Bluetooth phone prep. I do not know which option if any is required, and BMW NA does not either. But assuming you get Bluetooth streaming (no cables), just get Bluetooth, and have it for phone calls as well.

iDrive? Now, at first it seems like a lot of money for a nav. But it is more than a Nav. It is a computer interface to settings in your car. Like Bluetooth streaming, EDC and "POWER" button settings, etc. As well interface if you want to perform software updates yourself (not engine, but electronics.) Since I got ZCP - settings, Bluetooth, USB, and rear parking sensors. Getting Conv.package would have been less than $1,000 and well worth it. You also want alarm - in Conv. as well.

In short, either get Comp. Pack, Conv. Pack and Prem. Pack or get none of the expensive options such as alarm, bluetooth, carbon leather, EDC, 19s. Car like that is $70K, you must get significantly below $70K to mak it worthwhile. For me that is a white car with 18s, cloth and no EDC, Nav, etc.
      02-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep

Thanks, some good points on the convenience and premium packages.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

what was "back to basics" on the 1 series M coupe? even the name is too long.
the m3 is probably the last of the traditional M mantra vehicles. the car is heavy already so i wouldn't be fretting over getting as few options as possible to make it "light-weight". I think Nav and heated seats definitely come in handy for one.
      02-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Got the alarm for the audible indicator mostly.

iPod interface is a little sucky if you don't get the Nav, but gets the job done. My major concern with it though is that the sound quality is much worse than when using a USB memory stick - so I end up using the memory stick only, despite some functional issues.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0