BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Definitive Information on September 2011 standard M-Drive

Forgive me, I realize that this is simply a subset of the information posted here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429079

But as far as I know this is the first time we've gotten official information about the M-Drive details for September 2011. Therefore, this deserves its own thread here, IMHO.

Essentially, it sounds like it is indeed taken straight from the GTS, with the addition of EDC (if equipped) of course. I am a little confused about the wording 'pre-program two “personalities”' since I think they really mean that there is just the defaults (key-dependent settings) and the M settings. It thus remains unclear whether the key dependent settings now include the full set of options available to MDrive, or remain just what is available via the console buttons (minus DSC OFF). Also, I notice that the M Button does not appear to effect the Power setting. I am wondering if that has not been omitted from the list accidentally? Finally, just as with the GTS, it seems as though there is no way to set the M Button to DSC OFF and thus no way to set S6 either.

Quote:
2011 BMW M3 Sedan, Coupe, Convertible

BMW raised the performance benchmark once again with the introduction of the 4th generation M3. The latest M3 is again available, as was the 2nd generation, as a Sedan ($56,275), Coupe ($59,275) or Convertible ($67,925). All share the unique, high-revving, 414-horsepower V-8 engine and choice of 6-speed manual or 7-speed M Dual Clutch Transmission with Drivelogic.

For the M3’s 2011 model year, which started in March 2010, buyers of the M3 Sedan and M3 Coupe can choose a new Competition Package which reduces vehicle ride height by 10mm and includes unique 19” wheels with wider offset for enhanced stability, standard Electronic Damping Control with enhanced programming, and higher-threshold programming for the M Dynamic Mode (if equipped).

Starting with September 2010 production, the 2011 M3 will receive a number of further enhancements. Mineral White Metallic exterior paint becomes available, as do new Palladium Silver / Black / Black and Fox Red / Black interior upholsteries. The celebrated M Drive system becomes standard. Identified by its now-famous M Button on the steering wheel, M Drive allows the M3 driver to pre-program two “personalities” for the vehicle and toggle between them with a press of the M Button. The button will:

* Activate the “second level” of Dynamic Stability Control known as M Dynamic Mode (MDM).
* Activate the Sport setting of the Servotronic variable power steering system.
* Arm the shift lights (when equipped with M-DCT).
* Select the pre-stored setting for Electronic Damping Control (EDC), if equipped.
* Select the pre-stored setting for Drivelogic (when equipped with M-DCT).

Finally, BMW’s Auto Stop-Start feature becomes standard on the M3 with September production. Auto Start-Stop is a BMW EfficientDynamics fuel saving measure previously unavailable in the US except on ActiveHybrid models. Auto Stop-Start will automatically stop the engine when the transmission is placed in Neutral and the clutch is released. The engine will immediately restart as soon as the clutch is depressed. The system is driver selectable and will only function once the engine is up to operating temperature and the ambient temperature is between 37 Degrees F and 85 Degrees F.

The new Manual M Sport Seats (M3 Sedan, Coupe) offer the same adjustments as the previous electric seats but with manual adjustment in order to save weight (approximately 5kg per seat) and expense when power memory seats are not required. Lumber support and seatback side bolters remain electrically adjustable. Power Seats remain standard in the M3 Convertible.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

So the bottom line is that MDM mode and Sport Servotronic are now standard as they ought to have been from the beginning. I strongly suspect (though again, its still not clear from the above) that Sport+ Power is still not included standard. But of the three originally missing settings, I would have to say that that one is by far the least important. In general, it certainly would not be worth option for IDrive just to get access to that setting. Some might consider it worth it to get IDrive to be able to set S6/DSC OFF via M Drive. Of course if you were going to order IDrive or ZCV anyway, these are moot points anyway.

Finally, as is apparently the case with the GTS (though I have not seen this documented) it may be possible to program the M settings via the OBDII port (perhaps even openning up access to Sport+ Power, who knows).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I assume the adjustments will be made via the button on the turn signal lever and the settings display?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
hbcpa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MR E90 M3

Did BMW raise the price or does the price listed above include destination?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

The base price is the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
301Bimmer9
It's Playtime
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

That would be a STEAL if sport plus came standard. It is amazing after having used it I would have to have it if I ordered. But if you haven't experienced it then you won't know what you are missing. I ordered the old tech package just to get MDM and the M customizable settings. Having it standard is the way it should have been. Navigation is ok I guess but not really necessary in my area.
      09-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoven View Post
I assume the adjustments will be made via the button on the turn signal lever and the settings display?
It's not explicit but since only EDC and Drivelogic can be set, I assume that it will be just like the GTS. I.e. you simply hold down the M Button briefly and whatever the current values for those settings are stored. In other words, I don't think there will be any GUI involved.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

IMO, the biggest addition is the start/stop feature! Hello saving a couple of miles per gallon on the city!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's not explicit but since only EDC and Drivelogic can be set, I assume that it will be just like the GTS. I.e. you simply hold down the M Button briefly and whatever the current values for those settings are stored. In other words, I don't think there will be any GUI involved.
So the driver will not have the ability to change the M button settings? It will default to Power=Sport, Servotronic=Sport, DSC=MDM, and EDC=Sport??
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoven View Post
So the driver will not have the ability to change the M button settings?
Some settings will be configurable, while others won't. Although as I had said above, you might be able to change the non-configurable ones using a laptop with the BT tool (or similar software) and an OBDII cable.

Quote:
It will default to Power=Sport, Servotronic=Sport, DSC=MDM, and EDC=Sport??
From my understanding of the press release:

Power: Unknown still, not mentioned in the release (but yes, probably Sport, IMHO).
Servotronic: Sport
DSC: MDM
EDC: Configurable via holding down the M Button to store current EDC setting (Default factory setting unknown, probably Sport IMHO)

And for completeness sake, if you have M-DCT:

Drivelogic: Configurable via holding down the M Button to store current Drivelogic setting (Default factory setting unknown, probably S5 IMHO)
Shift lights: On
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Some settings will be configurable, while others won't. Although as I had said above, you might be able to change the non-configurable ones using a laptop with the BT tool (or similar software) and an OBDII cable.

From my understanding of the press release:

Power: Unknown still, not mentioned in the release (but yes, probably Sport, IMHO).
Servotronic: Sport
DSC: MDM
EDC: Configurable via holding down the M Button to store current EDC setting (Default factory setting unknown, probably Sport IMHO)

And for completeness sake, if you have M-DCT:

Drivelogic: Configurable via holding down the M Button to store current Drivelogic setting (Default factory setting unknown, probably S5 IMHO)
Shift lights: On
Ok, so the driver will be able to configure the M button EDC setting. That's what I was getting at - I would think you would need that level of adjustability as sport mode is really stiff and might be a little too stiff/bouncy for some surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcpa View Post
Did BMW raise the price or does the price listed above include destination?
base price seem to stay the same but you lose power seats as standard so not really free. From the enthusiast point of view a good tradeoff/chage.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

Questions please:

Does this now standard M-drive require i-drive and the second dash hump?

I have an early 2008 production M3 with no i-drive but I do have EDC (which I always have on the firmest setting), and I always put on the power button. I have a 6 speed manual.

Therefore is it correct that the ONLY things I am missing from having this new feature is MDM and sport steering?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:26 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
Questions please:

Does this now standard M-drive require i-drive and the second dash hump?
No, that's the whole idea behind standard.

Quote:
I have an early 2008 production M3 with no i-drive but I do have EDC (which I always have on the firmest setting), and I always put on the power button. I have a 6 speed manual.

Therefore is it correct that the ONLY things I am missing from having this new feature is MDM and sport steering?

Thanks!
So far, yes. Although there is a Sport + power setting that is not mentioned in this newly standard M Drive.
Appreciate 0