BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

making the jump!

Hi Gents,

Well after almost a daily conflict of my S5 vs. a M3 I ordered an 11' M3 as follows.

Blk/red extended interior
6-spd
compt. package(will powder coat rims)
all other options.
Carbon roof

I've been wating for the dealer to get in a used M3 so it can really be driven. It was a DCT/convertable but even with the extra weight the engine pulled harder than my modded S5(380hp).

While I will lose the refinement of the S5, the M3 truely is a performance machine, the S5 more of a GT. Tough call though. I was waiting on the RS-5 but sadly no manual option. A deal breaker for me.

They had a 4dr comp package on the floor, you can see the difference with the small drop and the rims look great.

A few questions please.

Will adding carbon fiberhood and trunk help with weight at all? The roof saves 100 pounds, I was hoping for the same with them as well.

i will be modding the car to around 450 hp. possible rear end swap as well.
Thoughts on recaro type seats swaps?

Now no more fighting in my garage between the X6 50i and the audi S5

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
S5 to M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
Hi Gents,
Well after almost a daily conflict of my S5 vs. a M3 I ordered an 11' M3
I've been wating for the dealer to get in a used M3 so it can really be driven. It was a DCT/convertable but even with the extra weight the engine pulled harder than my modded S5(380hp).
You have (finally) shown good taste! Just kidding, Audis are nice - RS5 would be a closer competitor, but as you note, needs a manual.

Quote:
Will adding carbon fiberhood and trunk help with weight at all? The roof saves 100 pounds, I was hoping for the same with them as well.
You are way off on the roof weight savings. It's 11 lbs for CF vs. steel, but gets up to more like 45 if you add a sunroof to the steel. The hood is already aluminum, so only change it for looks if you like. Trunk savings are nominal; again, looks are the main reason to change. You can save a few pounds a corner with good forged wheels, and a Ti exhaust is good for maybe 25 pounds. There are threads on all the various other savings areas on this forum.

Quote:
i will be modding the car to around 450 hp. possible rear end swap as well. Thoughts on recaro type seats swaps?
Check the sub-forums for info of this type.

Quote:
Now no more fighting in my garage between the X6 50i and the audi S5
You and your X5 will enjoy it!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0