Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-26-2023, 09:13 PM   #1
ejinm4
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 f82

Front mount intakes causing engine misfires?

Hi all just wanted to get some advice from those with MSR or any front mount intakes:

Had MSR intakes installed onto my f82 around 15k miles about 6 months ago (June 2023). Couple months ago (around sep23) I had a P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire, changed all 6 spark plugs out to NGK plugs and it went away. Then a while after that (nov23), got another misfire P0304 for cylinder 4 misfire that came once, it went away on its own within a day. Today it came back and stayed even after clearing codes out.

Car sounds alright? There is some up and down rpm sounds, no knocking but there has always been a rough cold start/idle since intake installation and that’s it. Rpm’s hit about 2-2.2k during cold start and then settles. Was told this is expected w the intakes

Car isn’t tuned, only has Active autowerkes midpipe swapped on, everything else is stock.

I have a new pack of coils that are ready to be replaced if needed, and I can replace injectors easily as well. Just odd to me since the car is only now 16k miles.

Question is, for those who had the same misfire issues, did you figure out if cleaning your MAF sensors solved it? Or what other things should I be considering/looking at? I’m understanding this is an issue with the intakes but want to just know what other owners have dealt with. Some are saying vacuum leaks and others are saying MAF sensors, so wanted some more input or advice.

Appreciate your help n advice in advance 🙂
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 07:16 AM   #2
Dsmdrew
Private
Rep
Drives: Go5

Those filters are junk. You must like dirt and sand in ur bmw
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

If the problem started months after your install its likely that the intakes themselves maybe are not the issue.

Those filters are great for water since they aren't cotton but not the best when it comes to actual filtration. Try a little maf cleaner just to be sure but it sounds like another issue to me if it's only certain cylinders.
Appreciate 1
ejinm46.00
      12-27-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
ejinm4
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
If the problem started months after your install its likely that the intakes themselves maybe are not the issue.

Those filters are great for water since they aren't cotton but not the best when it comes to actual filtration. Try a little maf cleaner just to be sure but it sounds like another issue to me if it's only certain cylinders.
Mm that’s a good point too especially since it has been 6 months. I’m gonna clean the MAF sensor today, but if the intakes themselves are not the issues i’m assuming this is going in the direction of injectors/coils maybe?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 07:58 PM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinm4 View Post
Mm that’s a good point too especially since it has been 6 months. I’m gonna clean the MAF sensor today, but if the intakes themselves are not the issues i’m assuming this is going in the direction of injectors/coils maybe?
Guessing but I would assume so. Could also just be a bad spark plug coil.. Bad injectors are usually fairly noticeable.
Appreciate 0