R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-21-2023, 08:32 PM   #1
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Paint defect. Bubbling and rusting?

Hi guys

Last week, I noticed my friend’s have tiny paint bubble near fuel filler housing.

After inspection by lifting rubber lip a bit, there are few small groups of tiny bubbles along lower edge, bubbles look like first pic (all of the pics not mine, took it from internet)

One of them shows small rust.

The car was purchased new 8 years ago and never repainted the area. He took it in under corrosion warranty and panel has to be repainted which he does’t like it.

SA told him that one of his client’s F82 had similar issue (my friend’s is F32)

Have no idea if bubbles are new or had it there first place but never spread.

Other options to fix this without repaint large area? Any rust repair product you guys suggest?

Thinking about sanding and touch up.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:50 PM   #2
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Sorry to hear about the rust under the paint bubbles. I hate to say it, but I have never found any rust “fixes” better than what a body shop would do prior to respray. The rustoleom stuff is just a bandaid and you will be forever facing more rust from the same spot. At least that was my experience with an old VW I had. Once the metal is rusted all corrosion resistance is gone and it will keep coming back

I personally can’t see rust, is it possible it’s just clear coat failure? If so a light sanding and touchup could be ok since it’s relatively hidden.

Others may have options, it’s possible I waited too long before trying to fix my VW.
P.S. There is a hole in the fuel cap door you can insert the cap in so it doesn’t rest on the paint.
Appreciate 1
Nomana1470.00
      03-23-2023, 12:20 PM   #3
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanislavK82 View Post
Sorry to hear about the rust under the paint bubbles. I hate to say it, but I have never found any rust “fixes” better than what a body shop would do prior to respray. The rustoleom stuff is just a bandaid and you will be forever facing more rust from the same spot. At least that was my experience with an old VW I had. Once the metal is rusted all corrosion resistance is gone and it will keep coming back

I personally can’t see rust, is it possible it’s just clear coat failure? If so a light sanding and touchup could be ok since it’s relatively hidden.

Others may have options, it’s possible I waited too long before trying to fix my VW.
P.S. There is a hole in the fuel cap door you can insert the cap in so it doesn’t rest on the paint.
Thank you for your input.
FYI the pictures are not from the actual car, just reference I took from online.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 01:00 PM   #4
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
Thank you for your input.
FYI the pictures are not from the actual car, just reference I took from online.
Ah thanks and my apologies, I missed that text in the original post I skimmed quickly. Pretty obvious now that I look back.
Appreciate 0