BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-28-2022, 10:56 AM   #1
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Limp mode triggered by braking system?

My car went into limp mode (maximum 2k revs, really sluggish throttle response and 1100 idle speed) twice in the last few days, each time within a mile from cold start.

The iDrive displayed an amber engine management warning light and said that driving moderately was OK but I should take it to a dealer (obviously...).

I tried charging the battery for 48 hours between incident 1 and 2.

BMW Assist tech guy came to my home today, and read the limp mode messages from the OBD, but the car started and ran (for about 4 miles) without problem.

He did say that the brake vacuum system (pump, sensor or seals) was indicating a fault however (and the pedal did feel a bit "soft").

I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow for repair.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
      06-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #2
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
There is a pressure sensor under the brake fluid reservoir that can go bad if somebody spills brake fluid on it during a service.
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6731.50
nah dude238.50
brettcp348.00
      06-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

If it genuinely is a brake system problem, surely it would make sense for the iDrive error message to state this, explicitly?
      06-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #4
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
My car went into limp mode (maximum 2k revs, really sluggish throttle response and 1100 idle speed) twice in the last few days, each time within a mile from cold start.

The iDrive displayed an amber engine management warning light and said that driving moderately was OK but I should take it to a dealer (obviously...).

BMW Assist tech guy came to my home today, and read the limp mode messages from the OBD, but the car started and ran (for about 4 miles) without problem.

He did say that the brake vacuum system (pump, sensor or seals) was indicating a fault however (and the pedal did feel a bit "soft").

OP, did you recently have a brake flush?

I experienced the same issues when I had my brake fluid flushed and the indy shop haphazardly overfilled the reservoir and fluid runoff malfunctioned the brake fluid reservoir.

You should hear your a whining noise coming from the footwell. The pump staying on longer than it should.

I was able to prove my case and the shop remedied the issue. At first they wanted me to pay to address the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 11:28 PM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacegrayMe90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post

I experienced the same issues when I had my brake fluid flushed and the indy shop haphazardly overfilled the reservoir and fluid runoff malfunctioned the brake fluid reservoir.

You should hear your a whining noise coming from the footwell. The pump staying on longer than it should.

I was able to prove my case and the shop remedied the issue. At first they wanted me to pay to address the issue.
+1👆🏼Very common.
      06-29-2022, 07:20 PM   #6
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Somewhat common for this sensor to fail and cause limp mode. Failure is almost all ways due to fluid contamination.

If this sensor is the fault, braking ability is not reduced as vacuum is not reduced, only its data stream to the DME is faulty.

iDrive notifications are exceptionally vague, they never identify anything useful.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6731.50
      06-29-2022, 09:46 PM   #7
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Somewhat common for this sensor to fail and cause limp mode. Failure is almost all ways due to fluid contamination.

If this sensor is the fault, braking ability is not reduced as vacuum is not reduced, only its data stream to the DME is faulty.

iDrive notifications are exceptionally vague, they never identify anything useful.
That has been my experience with iDrive diagnostics as well. Slightly less vague than a 50 dollar autel.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6731.50
      06-30-2022, 06:15 AM   #8
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Easy DIY - had the same problem in May

Replacing Brake Vacuum Pressure Sensor https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338052
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6731.50
      07-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #9
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacegrayMe90 View Post

Hmmmm....

Brake fluid change about 6 weeks ago.....by the Main Dealer.
I have not heard any excess pump noise, nor noticed the pump running for longer than normal (TBH - I am not sure that I have noticed any pump operating noise anyway).

If it is bad work by the dealer, I think I might well be refusing to pay the £100 excess on the warranty claim.
      07-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #10
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post

I would say that brake pedal feel has been quite "soft" recently. I had to brake quite hard to avoid rear-ending someone who changed his mind during an overtake. Pedal went a long way down and I was surprised that the ABS did not activate.

Dealer left me a voicemail this morning, stating that it is not a faulty sensor, but there is a vacuum leak, which they are still trying to locate.