BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
Scandinavian_Flick
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Fast!

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
E92 M3 Diff Bolt Failure -> Subframe Replacement

So, I thought I did pretty well by finding a 30k mile M3 back in December, but it looks like the car gods still dislike me for some reason.

While driving home from a friends house I got on the throttle and heard a *Tink* noise from the rear end of the car, but didn’t notice anything drastically wrong with the car at the time, and so I nursed it along the ~3 miles back to my house. When I jacked the car up the following day I poked around the rear end and found one of the front diff mounting bolts to be broken clean off…..

Name:  IMG_6337 2.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  327.1 KB

From what I’ve seen this isn’t a common issue by any means, but there’s definitely a good handful of people that have had it happen. Unfortunately, in my case the movement of the diff allowed for the remaining piece of the bolt to smash around in the subframe bushing and ended up causing some pretty severe damage to my subframe. I confirmed with a local performance shop what I thought to be the case; replacement subframe needed. Its feasible that the original subframe could be fixed, but better to get a replacement and know 100% that it’s solid.

Name:  IMG_6352.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  275.7 KB

With that, I knew that the subframe from a donor vehicle wouldn’t be as sharp as the one coming out of my clean (although broken) 30k mile car, so I knew that I would want to replace the bushings with new. It took some serious convincing from a friend of mine to sway me, but eventually I decided to go with solid subframe mounts instead of replacing with new stock mounts. Eventually I figured that if the subframes in the M3 GTS, F10 M5, and F80 M3 were solid mounted, the increased NVH couldn’t be that bad. I also decided to upgrade to moonball bushings for the trailing arm and will upgrade that arm in the future.

Here’s a list of everything that went into the car:
- Bimmerworld solid subframe mounts
- Bimmerworld rear trailing arm bushing monoballs
- New stock camber arm bushings
- New stock differential bushings
- New stock subframe bushings and brackets
- New mounting hardware and clips
- Stainless steel brake lines (front as well to match)

Name:  IMG_6740.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  527.6 KB
Name:  IMG_6742.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  324.4 KB

First I went about burning out the bushings from the donor frame before stripping/scuffing the paint and adding a few new coats of black paint and clear coat before pressing in the remainder of the bushings. Heres some shots of everything installed on the subframe, ready to go in the car:

Name:  IMG_6624.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  434.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6657.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  152.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6682.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  732.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6739.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  358.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6738.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  413.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6746.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  235.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6753.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  281.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6752.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  466.1 KB

Here’s the tricky bit; I wasn’t able to find anyone who really addressed the issue of ‘aligning’ the subframe in the car. My local performance shop (who runs a highly accredited race team mind you) told me that they don’t bother aligning the subframe in the car, but rather just bolt it up and fix any inconsistencies in the wheel alignment process. What!?!?! – Ok ok, I’m sure that’s fine, but I figure since I have the time to make it perfect, let’s spend the time and get it as close to perfect as possible.

Name:  IMG_6755.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  232.7 KB
Name:  IMG_6754.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  300.4 KB

I was able to get the subframe in the center of the car I believe pretty accurately by getting out a ruler and measuring the gap on each side from the mounts. I got the rear two mounting points centered within about a millimeter or so, and the front centered within a half millimeter – Perfect. Here's photos of me measuring the front side below.

Name:  IMG_6757.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  276.1 KB
Name:  IMG_6758.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  333.0 KB

Re-assembled the rest of the car and took it for a test around the block, and it feels good, went back and checked the torque on all the bolts and all was good. The car needs a good alignment; as of right now, it’s riding on my eyeball spec alignment that I didn’t even do at ride height, although in an oddly worrying way, it drove pretty straight lol.

I’m going to make another post reviewing the solid subframe bushings and the monoball RTABs soon here, and I'll link it here in an edit once I post it, so if you don't see it here yet, just hang tight.

Thanks for reading - feel free to ask me any questions if you have them!

Last edited by Scandinavian_Flick; 03-03-2022 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 9
Ajolives922.00
akkando5869.00
jun_e92140.50
haile90164.50
Davisca4552207.50
GotV8?1050.50
      03-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #2
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandinavian_Flick View Post
So, I thought I did pretty well by finding a 30k mile M3 back in December, but it looks like the car gods still dislike me for some reason.

While driving home from a friends house I got on the throttle and heard a *Tink* noise from the rear end of the car, but didn't notice anything drastically wrong with the car at the time, and so I nursed it along the ~3 miles back to my house. When I jacked the car up the following day I poked around the rear end and found one of the front diff mounting bolts to be broken clean off…..

Attachment 2825946

From what I've seen this isn't a common issue by any means, but there's definitely a good handful of people that have had it happen. Unfortunately, in my case the movement of the diff allowed for the remaining piece of the bolt to smash around in the subframe bushing and ended up causing some pretty severe damage to my subframe. I confirmed with a local performance shop what I thought to be the case; replacement subframe needed. Its feasible that the original subframe could be fixed, but better to get a replacement and know 100% that it's solid.

Attachment 2825951

With that, I knew that the subframe from a donor vehicle wouldn't be as sharp as the one coming out of my clean (although broken) 30k mile car, so I knew that I would want to replace the bushings with new. It took some serious convincing from a friend of mine to sway me, but eventually I decided to go with solid subframe mounts instead of replacing with new stock mounts. Eventually I figured that if the subframes in the M3 GTS, F10 M5, and F80 M3 were solid mounted, the increased NVH couldn't be that bad. I also decided to upgrade to moonball bushings for the trailing arm and will upgrade that arm in the future.

Here's a list of everything that went into the car:
- Bimmerworld solid subframe mounts
- Bimmerworld rear trailing arm bushing monoballs
- New stock camber arm bushings
- New stock differential bushings
- New stock subframe bushings and brackets
- New mounting hardware and clips
- Stainless steel brake lines (front as well to match)

Attachment 2825956
Attachment 2825954

First I went about burning out the bushings from the donor frame before stripping/scuffing the paint and adding a few new coats of black paint and clear coat before pressing in the remainder of the bushings. Heres some shots of everything installed on the subframe, ready to go in the car:

Attachment 2825952

Attachment 2825966

Attachment 2825953

Attachment 2825957

Attachment 2825969

Attachment 2825958

Attachment 2825960

Attachment 2825961

Here's the tricky bit; I wasn't able to find anyone who really addressed the issue of 'aligning' the subframe in the car. My local performance shop (who runs a highly accredited race team mind you) told me that they don't bother aligning the subframe in the car, but rather just bolt it up and fix any inconsistencies in the wheel alignment process. What!?!?! – Ok ok, I'm sure that's fine, but I figure since I have the time to make it perfect, let's spend the time and get it as close to perfect as possible.

Attachment 2825970
Attachment 2825962

I was able to get the subframe in the center of the car I believe pretty accurately by getting out a ruler and measuring the gap on each side from the mounts. I got the rear two mounting points centered within about a millimeter or so, and the front centered within a half millimeter – Perfect. Here's photos of me measuring the front side below.

Attachment 2825963
Attachment 2825964

Re-assembled the rest of the car and took it for a test around the block, and it feels good, went back and checked the torque on all the bolts and all was good. The car needs a good alignment; as of right now, it's riding on my eyeball spec alignment that I didn't even do at ride height, although in an oddly worrying way, it drove pretty straight lol.

I'm going to make another post reviewing the solid subframe bushings and the monoball RTABs soon here, and I'll link it here in an edit once I post it, so if you don't see it here yet, just hang tight.

Thanks for reading - feel free to ask me any questions if you have them!
Damn good work - love the attention to detail. For the record, I don't think you're too far off base with centering the subframe, I'd probably do the same - if I'd get off my lazy ass and install mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Nice work! Curious why the diff bolt would snap at such a low mileage. Do you drag/drift the car often?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
Scandinavian_Flick
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Damn good work - love the attention to detail. For the record, I don't think you're too far off base with centering the subframe, I'd probably do the same - if I'd get off my lazy ass and install mine.
Yeah it really didn't take me any time to get it "perfect" maybe only 5 min or so to measure and adjust it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 06:21 PM   #5
Scandinavian_Flick
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Nice work! Curious why the diff bolt would snap at such a low mileage. Do you drag/drift the car often?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I only picked the car up in December and have only put like 1500 miles on it. I'm probably more aggressive than most, but not in the form of drifting it or dragging the car. Plus these cars should realistically be able to handle some abuse like that.

I'm not really sure what the crux of the issue was, but the bushings that came out of the subframe were really bad, so perhaps they were just allowing way too much driveline slop which allowed the diff to move enough to stress the bolt. The combo of solid subframe mounts and new diff bushings should really help to lock down the driveline in the car and prevent this from potentially happening again.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 08:19 PM   #6
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

This is more of a prevalent issue on the vert, likely due to the lack of rigidity in the body itself.

None the less, good call on replacing the subframe I would’ve never attempted to repair a damaged diff mounting point cause one you put heat to it it’s never at strong as it was designed to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 07:01 AM   #7
k_mann
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Nice work! I like the bigger lip the bw bushings use.

In regards to subframe alignment, I personally didn't do it. The front two go into index posts and there really wasn't any play. Plus who's not to say no matter how "even" it is by your measurements it didn't offset it more? I think there's such minimal play it really doesn't matter. That's what adjustable suspension components for alignments are for

Insta: @kmannc
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 12:11 PM   #8
Scandinavian_Flick
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mann View Post

In regards to subframe alignment, I personally didn't do it. The front two go into index posts and there really wasn't any play. Plus who's not to say no matter how "even" it is by your measurements it didn't offset it more? I think there's such minimal play it really doesn't matter. That's what adjustable suspension components for alignments are for
I understand where you're coming from, but at least in my case I was still able to move the subframe side to side by about a centimeter even though it's indexed on the front. While the alignment can most definitely dial out any discrepancies, I'd rather avoid having to adjust the front end drastically to accommodate for a bad thrust angle. Either way, the car drives great right now, and all elements of the alignment were perfect (well the front needs way more camber but its maxed out currently).
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2022, 10:00 PM   #9
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandinavian_Flick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mann View Post

I understand where you're coming from, but at least in my case I was still able to move the subframe side to side by about a centimeter even though it's indexed on the front. While the alignment can most definitely dial out any discrepancies, I'd rather avoid having to adjust the front end drastically to accommodate for a bad thrust angle. Either way, the car drives great right now, and all elements of the alignment were perfect (well the front needs way more camber but its maxed out currently).

Glad to hear you got it all resolved. What're tour thoughts on the solid subframe bushings compared to oem?
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 01:33 AM   #10
Scandinavian_Flick
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
Glad to hear you got it all resolved. What're tour thoughts on the solid subframe bushings compared to oem?
I'll be making another post in the future that I'll link here (probably this weekend, this week is insane for me). In summary, they're not too harsh, and definitely make the rear more planted. If you're considering between OEM, then I would definitely consider your use case first, if its purely a daily driver that doesn't see any track time, then the tradeoff probably isn't worth it. I'm young and willing to put up with some harshness in favor of higher performance since my car sees hard driving pretty regularly, and in the future I plan on doing anywhere up to 10 trackdays a year.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 07:13 AM   #11
Mog-10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

I had used an exhaust expander to round out a crushed front diff mount it was easy and did it with it still installed took less then a few minutes.

Last edited by Mog-10; 03-08-2022 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 12:51 PM   #12
Scandinavian_Flick
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog-10 View Post
I had used an exhaust expander to round out a crushed front diff mount it was easy and did it with it still installed took less then a few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog-10 View Post
Glad that was able to work for you, however that would not have been viable in this case.
Appreciate 0