BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2021, 07:38 AM   #1
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Potentially Buying Used 2015 5.0i

Currently own a F30 328dX and spend most of my time on here lurking on the F30 forum.

Anyway, searching for a new car for my wife. I have the opportunity to buy a used 2015 X5 5.0i. White on black. Has most of the options. LDW, panoramic sunroof, surround view, Harmon Kardon, etc...

Has 85k miles and has been maintained by the dealer it's entire life. The local dealer knows I've been looking for a white on black X5 for the past couple months. This was traded in yesterday and not listed yet in their inventory. Really have been looking for a diesel w/ M package but we need to get rid of our Grand Cherokee.

Test drove it yesterday. It drives really nice. It's in great shape. Is fun to drive and hauls ass.

Dealer is asking 26,200 after 795 discount. Wanted to see your guys thoughts?

FYI - I used to own an E53 4.4i and was one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. I understand the maintenance that came with those early models. Tranny and lurching problems non stop but drove like a dream after I lowered it. I used to hang out on X5world.com which became Xoutpost.com years ago.

I need to call them back today before it gets listed. Is this a good deal in your eyes?

And yes, I've read through quite a few threads already. It seems the 5.0i is not as reliable compared to the inline 6.

Thanks
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:48 AM   #2
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

The 50i is relatively less reliable than the 35i, but quite reliable overall (leaps and bounds over the E70 N63 nightmare). Pricing looks ok (maybe slightly overpriced given the miles).

If you're open to other colors (space Gray), here's an excellent (and rare) nearly fully loaded one (MSRP $95K+ with DHP, B&O, DAP+ with ACC, etc), with low miles and brand new tires, and not too far from CT. This is a steal for $30600 with such low miles, one owner clean carfax.

https://www.bmwrochester.com/wholesa...072ff4a052.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Currently own a F30 328dX and spend most of my time on here lurking on the F30 forum.

Anyway, searching for a new car for my wife. I have the opportunity to buy a used 2015 X5 5.0i. White on black. Has most of the options. LDW, panoramic sunroof, surround view, Harmon Kardon, etc...

Has 85k miles and has been maintained by the dealer it's entire life. The local dealer knows I've been looking for a white on black X5 for the past couple months. This was traded in yesterday and not listed yet in their inventory. Really have been looking for a diesel w/ M package but we need to get rid of our Grand Cherokee.

Test drove it yesterday. It drives really nice. It's in great shape. Is fun to drive and hauls ass.

Dealer is asking 26,200 after 795 discount. Wanted to see your guys thoughts?

FYI - I used to own an E53 4.4i and was one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. I understand the maintenance that came with those early models. Tranny and lurching problems non stop but drove like a dream after I lowered it. I used to hang out on X5world.com which became Xoutpost.com years ago.

I need to call them back today before it gets listed. Is this a good deal in your eyes?

And yes, I've read through quite a few threads already. It seems the 5.0i is not as reliable compared to the inline 6.

Thanks
Tom
My 2 cents is that you should look for 2017 and up for 50i.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #4
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
The 50i is relatively less reliable than the 35i, but quite reliable overall (leaps and bounds over the E70 N63 nightmare). Pricing looks ok (maybe slightly overpriced given the miles).

If you're open to other colors (space Gray), here's an excellent (and rare) nearly fully loaded one (MSRP $95K+ with DHP, B&O, DAP+ with ACC, etc), with low miles and brand new tires, and not too far from CT. This is a steal for $30600 with such low miles, one owner clean carfax.

https://www.bmwrochester.com/wholesa...072ff4a052.htm
Thank you for the advice. White on black is a requirement though. Wife settled for black on black with the Jeep and doesn't want to settle again. I don't necessarily want a 5.0i. Optimal would be a diesel white on black w/ M package. I am willing to drive. I saw a white 5.0i in the classifieds that is gorgeous. For the right car and price, I'd drive or fly but not completely across the country.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #5
Yo_Holle
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i E46 M3 Cabrio

If you can wait then wait and get exactly what you want. when i was buying mine i saw enough different engines, options and prices to really have my choice. and it was always new ones popping up on the market every week.

I bought the 50i with 95k miles and after me putting 10k miles still have no problems
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #6
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

With the 2015 you won't have CarPlay and will lose 3G Connectivity next year. For the price, I think having a modern infotainment system can make the experience much better.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Coupe

I just bought a 2014 50i with 72k miles for $24500 by the way, that seems a bit overpriced to me but not far off. Mine is a decently optioned xLine
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 07:33 AM   #8
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegfx4 View Post
I just bought a 2014 50i with 72k miles for $24500 by the way, that seems a bit overpriced to me but not far off. Mine is a decently optioned xLine
We ended up buying it. Nothing signed yet though. Just deposit.
So far nothing but problems with the dealership. Got it for 26,200 but because of all the headache they are installing an OEM trailer hitch like for free and are paying the first month payment. They dropped off the X5 on Tuesday night. Yesterday the wife drove it to work and on the way home got a warning for low oil, add 2 quarts immediately + low tire pressure. It was also delivered without things being repaired that were supposed to be repaired. Broken driver power seat switch, paint chips showing metal, missing 2nd key fob, and not spectacularly clean. I also smelled coolant when they dropped it off and have raised this twice with them. Texted the list of issues to the GM last night.

Empty promise after empty promise. At this point I am exclusively dealing with the GM. By the way, this is the local BMW dealership. Not Joe's Used Cars. I don't want to bad mouth the dealership so I will leave those details private.

I was quoted $3,500 for a 2yr 35k warranty which apparently doesn't exist. They are going to honor it anyway. When negotiating, they told me it was listed at 32k but when I asked them to show me, they couldn't. Called them out on that.

The GM has been apologetic however I feel like a pest or "that customer", but I have to speak up because I don't feel that I should be dismissed and I should get what I pay for. I just want a decent deal and a simple transaction but not once has anyone at the dealership lives up to their word. I will call at X time and you never get a call back. We have to follow up with them constantly. It's been 2.5 weeks now since placing my deposit.

They came and picked up the X5 already to take it back into the shop and dropped off a loaner (another x5). Talked to the GM last night. They will be doing another full inspection and he's going to personally look over the car after they are done. Will fix the list of things I highlighted. Regarding paint chips, they will address and apply a clear coat. Then wax again.

Honestly, it's been the most stressful and worst car buying experience I've ever had. I went with this one instead of the X5 listed on here because I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for a title to come in especially being that I would have had to travel half way across the country to get it. Looking back I kind of wish I did but then again I would have to deal with selling our car and out of state registration, etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #9
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Quote:
We ended up buying it. Nothing signed yet though. Just deposit.
So far nothing but problems with the dealership. Got it for 26,200 but because of all the headache they are installing an OEM trailer hitch like for free and are paying the first month payment. They dropped off the X5 on Tuesday night. Yesterday the wife drove it to work and on the way home got a warning for low oil, add 2 quarts immediately + low tire pressure. It was also delivered without things being repaired that were supposed to be repaired. Broken driver power seat switch, paint chips showing metal, missing 2nd key fob, and not spectacularly clean. I also smelled coolant when they dropped it off and have raised this twice with them. Texted the list of issues to the GM last night.

Empty promise after empty promise. At this point I am exclusively dealing with the GM. By the way, this is the local BMW dealership. Not Joe's Used Cars. I don't want to bad mouth the dealership so I will leave those details private.

I was quoted $3,500 for a 2yr 35k warranty which apparently doesn't exist. They are going to honor it anyway. When negotiating, they told me it was listed at 32k but when I asked them to show me, they couldn't. Called them out on that.

The GM has been apologetic however I feel like a pest or "that customer", but I have to speak up because I don't feel that I should be dismissed and I should get what I pay for. I just want a decent deal and a simple transaction but not once has anyone at the dealership lives up to their word. I will call at X time and you never get a call back. We have to follow up with them constantly. It's been 2.5 weeks now since placing my deposit.

They came and picked up the X5 already to take it back into the shop and dropped off a loaner (another x5). Talked to the GM last night. They will be doing another full inspection and he's going to personally look over the car after they are done. Will fix the list of things I highlighted. Regarding paint chips, they will address and apply a clear coat. Then wax again.

Honestly, it's been the most stressful and worst car buying experience I've ever had. I went with this one instead of the X5 listed on here because I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for a title to come in especially being that I would have had to travel half way across the country to get it. Looking back I kind of wish I did but then again I would have to deal with selling our car and out of state registration, etc...
Is this BMW Portland by chance? They also never follow up and have to be the one who calls for updates. The only time when they reach out is when they want money...err when they want to make sure I take my car to have it serviced there.

When we got our first BMWs we thought BMW dealerships treated us like royalty compared to VW and Subaru dealerships (which were pretty good to us btw) but now almost a decade later my experience with BMW dealerships haS been lackluster and don't see them any different that your run of the mill shady dealerships with sleazy dealers. The only difference is they offer free pastries and have a higher end presentation.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #10
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
Is this BMW Portland by chance? They also never follow up and have to be the one who calls for updates. The only time when they reach out is when they want money...err when they want to make sure I take my car to have it serviced there.

When we got our first BMWs we thought BMW dealerships treated us like royalty compared to VW and Subaru dealerships (which were pretty good to us btw) but now almost a decade later my experience with BMW dealerships haS been lackluster and don't see them any different that your run of the mill shady dealerships with sleazy dealers. The only difference is they offer free pastries and have a higher end presentation.
he’s from Connecticut.
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 12:15 AM   #11
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Potentially Buying Used 2015 5.0i

GM called. Said they changed the oil. They didn't want to just put 2 quarts in blindly. He said it could be an oil sensor. He said something about replacing the oil sensor.

I asked if they measure how much oil they dropped out and he said no. They just emptied it into their oil pan. I found that to be a little odd. That would be the first thing I would check. Is it I really low on oil? It feels like they guessed because he said something about it happens again

Paint chips getting fixed, seat fixed, etc... wants to coordinate signing the papers tomorrow...

You ever get that feeling in your stomach... If I wasn't so far into buying this car I would walk away. This car buying process has been the disappointing and stressful. Its like I'm their #1 customer and as soon as they hang up the phone the brush the dirt off their shoulder and laugh about us. I think I have feelings of regret at this point and somewhat of embarrassment for the GM although the grave was self dug.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #12
MrJayhawk85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5

Quote:
GM called. Said they changed the oil. They didn't want to just put 2 quarts in blindly. He said it could be an oil sensor. He said something about replacing the oil sensor.

I asked if they measure how much oil they dropped out and he said no. They just emptied it into their oil pan. I found that to be a little odd. That would be the first thing I would check. Is it I really low on oil? It feels like they guessed because he said something about it happens again

Paint chips getting fixed, seat fixed, etc... wants to coordinate signing the papers tomorrow...

You ever get that feeling in your stomach... If I wasn't so far into buying this car I would walk away. This car buying process has been the disappointing and stressful. Its like I'm their #1 customer and as soon as they hang up the phone the brush the dirt off their shoulder and laugh about us. I think I have feelings of regret at this point and somewhat of embarrassment for the GM although the grave was self dug.
In your first post, you mentioned ‘the dealer’ had maintained car. Was it this one? They should still know from key when oil was changed last and being low if 2 down is reasonable. It is troubling they didnt bother to measure what came out. Based on your other comments I would have extreme second thoughts about finalizing this with apparent Three Stooges BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #13
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

If you haven't signed, I'd run away from this deal so fast. This will only get worse. Wait and buy the diesel... so much more reliable if you want a X5.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #14
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
If you haven't signed, I'd run away from this deal so fast. This will only get worse. Wait and buy the diesel... so much more reliable if you want a X5.
Agreed. I would walk away
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #15
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

The 50i has 4 Water pumps, 3 Fuel pumps, 9 heat exchangers, more then a dozen external engine sensors and enough hoses and tubes to circle the Earth TWICE (ok I may slightly embellished that last one).... With that being said It's an amazing SUV to drive and just a simple tune and air filter swap can make it an 11 second SUV that's faster then most muscle cars but this is NOT the X5 to take a chance on. Purchase only if you have an iron-clad written in blood warranty or they knock another 6k off and you turn the wrenches yourself.

BTW, n63tu while much improved, is still not immune from the valve stem seal issue that plagued the first gen n63. That alone is a 4-6 thousand dollar job as it takes 40+ man hours. I have my suspicions that the engine in this X5 is having that issue. If you proceed to purchase, at least test the seals (idle for 5min, then accelerate while someone follows you to note if any smoke comes out the exhaust)
Appreciate 2
CT335xi684.00
dubs40.50
      05-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #16
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
Agreed. I would walk away
Yeah. Not all dealers are the same. I bought my X5 from a dealer that said it was bought and serviced there and actually showed me the full record. They also did the CPO check and showed me in person everything that was replaced. There is something fishy with this car…
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #17
moneypitlexus
Rep
Drives: e46

Any reason why you don't want the 35i?

Seems it common knowledge for the past 2 decades to never buy a V8 engine. The i6 are fairly reliable as long as you don't overheat them and change all the seals.
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2021, 09:16 PM   #18
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypitlexus View Post
Any reason why you don't want the 35i?

Seems it common knowledge for the past 2 decades to never buy a V8 engine. The i6 are fairly reliable as long as you don't overheat them and change all the seals.
My preference is a diesel m sport but I haven't find been able to find one. I wasn't looking for a 5.0i. It's just kind of happened. We'd been in contact with the salesman since oct 2019. Everyone that came around was too expensive or wasn't right. Brown interior, tan interior, not white, miles vs year vs price vs condition.

We also basically just got tired of the Jeep. This were starting to happen to it. Got a new head, oil cooler replaced, and more coming.

Anyway they dropped it back off tonight. It really is a beautiful truck.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #19
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
The 50i has 4 Water pumps, 3 Fuel pumps, 9 heat exchangers, more then a dozen external engine sensors and enough hoses and tubes to circle the Earth TWICE (ok I may slightly embellished that last one).... With that being said It's an amazing SUV to drive and just a simple tune and air filter swap can make it an 11 second SUV that's faster then most muscle cars but this is NOT the X5 to take a chance on. Purchase only if you have an iron-clad written in blood warranty or they knock another 6k off and you turn the wrenches yourself.

BTW, n63tu while much improved, is still not immune from the valve stem seal issue that plagued the first gen n63. That alone is a 4-6 thousand dollar job as it takes 40+ man hours. I have my suspicions that the engine in this X5 is having that issue. If you proceed to purchase, at least test the seals (idle for 5min, then accelerate while someone follows you to note if any smoke comes out the exhaust)
This is good advice. I'll do the test. I wasn't aware of that issue even after my research.

It probably is the fastest truck I've ever drove. Thing gets down. I'm hesitant to tune it because of the warranty. I'm sure they would try to wiggle out if anything might happen. It is in writing. I think it's through Care Guard if I remember correctly. They said it's honored at any BMW dealership. It's a powertrain warranty through May, 2023 or 115k miles. Was $3,500. It seemed worth the piece of mind, but I still have some reservations.

This is not my first X5 by the way. I had a black E53 4.4i lowered (air susp) + exhaust a few years ago. Had a few issues. Tranny went at 92k miles. Was torque converter. I was constantly by working on that thing. I know the truck can be expensive to maintain first hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 11:39 PM   #20
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Quote:

This is good advice. I'll do the test. I wasn't aware of that issue even after my research.

It probably is the fastest truck I've ever drove. Thing gets down. I'm hesitant to tune it because of the warranty. I'm sure they would try to wiggle out if anything might happen. It is in writing. I think it's through Care Guard if I remember correctly. They said it's honored at any BMW dealership. It's a powertrain warranty through May, 2023 or 115k miles. Was $3,500. It seemed worth the piece of mind, but I still have some reservations.

This is not my first X5 by the way. I had a black E53 4.4i lowered (air susp) + exhaust a few years ago. Had a few issues. Tranny went at 92k miles. Was torque converter. I was constantly by working on that thing. I know the truck can be expensive to maintain first hand.
If I were you I'd take it upon myself to change the Tcase and tranny fluid as long as it won't void the warranty. Assuming you want to keep it for a while it could save headaches down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #21
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If I were you I'd take it upon myself to change the Tcase and tranny fluid as long as it won't void the warranty. Assuming you want to keep it for a while it could save headaches down the road.
I plan on keeping it until the warranty expires. Then trading in for a diesel M sport. Probably will have it 1-2 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #22
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

On Saturday after driving for a bit, we parked the truck and had steam coming out of the passenger side kidney grille. Smells like coolant and oil a little bit too.

I don't how to upload a video on here. Are there any common issues that would cause this? I did search a bit and found a video from someone else with a similar issue.

I sent the video to the GM but haven't heard back yet.
Appreciate 0