BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
ithatel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xdrive diesel.

Hatch open after shopping

Hi Everyone.
A few times I have gone to the garage to find my 2016 F15 X5 35d with a open hatch.
The other day I went to a store, bought some stuff. Locked the X and went back it the store to look at something I forgot to look at, only to come out to find the hatch open in the parking lot. Luckily my stuff had not disappeared.
I carry the key fob in my pocket and I probably hit the release button on a display case I was bent over or something in the house from time to time.
Is there a way to stop this ?
Can I use BimmerCode to prevent the X from responding to the key fob button or can the key fob be changed.
I’m familiar with BimmerCode and used it on my 228i, but have not had time to delve into it yet for the X.
I did a search here and found nothing relevant.
Any suggestions and thanks in advance.
Doug
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

This will solve the problem, M Performance Key Fob Case - BMW Part # 82292355519 (82-29-2-355-519).
I accidentally opened the rear door on mine once, I bought this and it’s never happened again in over 6 years since.
      04-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

That does suck. I wish there was a on off switch or something on the fob
What's worse is accidentally opening your windows.... And what if it's raining?!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
sbrook02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithatel View Post
Hi Everyone.
A few times I have gone to the garage to find my 2016 F15 X5 35d with a open hatch.
The other day I went to a store, bought some stuff. Locked the X and went back it the store to look at something I forgot to look at, only to come out to find the hatch open in the parking lot. Luckily my stuff had not disappeared.
I carry the key fob in my pocket and I probably hit the release button on a display case I was bent over or something in the house from time to time.
Is there a way to stop this ?
Can I use BimmerCode to prevent the X from responding to the key fob button or can the key fob be changed.
I’m familiar with BimmerCode and used it on my 228i, but have not had time to delve into it yet for the X.
I did a search here and found nothing relevant.
Any suggestions and thanks in advance.
Doug
Yes there is a delay you can set with BimmerCode:

Boot lid opening delay
The delay when opening the boot lid with the remote control. This value can be increased to prevent accidental openings of the boot lid.

https://bimmercode.app/cars/f15/
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
cojer
Registered
Rep
Drives: '18 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrook02 View Post
Yes there is a delay you can set with BimmerCode:

Boot lid opening delay
The delay when opening the boot lid with the remote control. This value can be increased to prevent accidental openings of the boot lid.

https://bimmercode.app/cars/f15/
You can also code it so the boot won't open with the remote if the vehicle is locked.

In my case I didn't want to accidentally open the boot lid at home because my garage isn't that deep. If the boot did open inside the garage and I opened the garage door without noticing, pretty good chance I would scratch or dent the boot lid. So, I have mine set to NOT open with the remote if the vehicle is locked, and I also have the delay set to 10 seconds.

Even if I forgot to lock the vehicle in the garage, there's still a pretty good chance I'm not going to accidentally keep the button pressed for 10 seconds. I tried a couple of fob covers initially, but got tired of the extra bulk in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto some of the comments above. If you are actuating your tailgate when you put your remote in your pants pockets...and you have the Bimmercode app...then make good use of it and code some of the options for the tailgate. Or get a keyfob cover to help prevent accidental actuation.

You can see some of the coding you can do in the Bimmercode app for delaying tailgate opening when using the remote or locking the vehicle:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
maDjzo872.00
      04-13-2021, 05:50 PM   #7
ithatel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xdrive diesel.

Great !!
Thank you all.
I’ll dust off my OBD bluetooth adapter.
��
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:28 AM   #8
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e40 (F15)

Look for BMW FOB CASE in Amazon
Made the mistake and bought for X5 40e original BMW leather case making the FOB too bulky, then bought in Amazon a silicon case and no more open hatch.
If you have BIMMERCODE app and OBD adapter you can code, but useless to buy only for coding FOB delay. (my opinion, as I did not find anything useful to improve by coding)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:53 PM   #9
sbrook02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Ditto some of the comments above. If you are actuating your tailgate when you put your remote in your pants pockets...and you have the Bimmercode app...then make good use of it and code some of the options for the tailgate. Or get a keyfob cover to help prevent accidental actuation.

You can see some of the coding you can do in the Bimmercode app for delaying tailgate opening when using the remote or locking the vehicle:
"Open tailgate after unlock only" is a good idea. But an open delay of 10s is excessive. I set it to 5s and it feels like forever.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrook02 View Post
"Open tailgate after unlock only" is a good idea. But an open delay of 10s is excessive. I set it to 5s and it feels like forever.
I agree...10 second delay is excessive...I only highlighted it to show how long it can be delayed. And for those that wear tight or skinny jeans along with carrying their remote fob in their pocket...a 10 second delay may be required. It would probably get them far enough away from the vehicle that if the button got pressed as they sat down on a park bench or bent over to put a leash on their pet etc. the distance from the vehicle would be far enough that the tailgate wouldn't open.

If memory serves me correct, I only delayed the tailgate for a 1 second press when I coded my X5. I delayed it in case I accidentally pressed the tailgate button when trying to press the UNLOCK button...that way I wouldn't have to then close the tailgate and still unlock the vehicle.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0