BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
x5m5
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw m5

Considering Purchasing a 2014 50i

New to the forum and looking at a fully loaded 50i with 115k miles. Not too familiar with the platform and wondering if I should even consider getting something with that high miles. PPP came out fine with only minor issues and is offering me a 3 year 36k mile Endurance warranty for 4500. I would definitely prefer a lower mileage version so I don't have to think too much about warranty but I can't find anything with all these options unless I get an x5M. Car is going to be the wife's car primarily so I don't mind maintanence I just don't want a headache. A little background I've owned most recently an e70 50i (2011) that was virtually headache free for two years, an e53 4.8is, and an e60 m5 so I'm familiar with turning a wrench here and there. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

My N=1 experience says absolutely amazing and fun to drive, but a horror to own. My exhaust valve in a cylinder was blown recently and it was traded in as it needed a new engine. May be ok with warranty. Or not.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #3
x5m5
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj22 View Post
My N=1 experience says absolutely amazing and fun to drive, but a horror to own. My exhaust valve in a cylinder was blown recently and it was traded in as it needed a new engine. May be ok with warranty. Or not.
Thanks my only concern is getting into a situation where the car is constantly in the shop. When I bought my e60 M5 I did a major maintenance to make sure and even with the supercharger it's still been very reliable.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I believe there is not a lot of feedback to be found for 100K+ f15 50i's. But overall the N63TU seems to be a much more reliable engine than the previous generation.

I just reached 100k on my 14. Have had the usual issues; crankcase vent hose, rear airbags, coils, injectors. Also had some stuff replaced in the front suspension (control arms? around 60k, don't have the paperwork here, forgot what exactly it was).
Otherwise pretty much no troubles, except potholes and damaged wheels, still runs strong.
Its' been one of the more overpriced vehicles I have bought, considering the rapid depreciation, but also been a lot of fun to drive around, lots of smiles per miles. (and 16-17mpg average these days)

I still really enjoy driving her, however, as she get's older, I might put stock springs back, and get myself a different vehicle for daily driving, and keep this one as a back up/ tow vehicle. Unless something major goes wrong, I'll probably keep her until the wheels falls off, or someone I know needs a vehicle.

BMW claims lifetime oil for I believe the differentials, transfer case and transmission. If you were to buy the vehicle you are looking at, I would start with changing all those fluids out, because it has likely not been done. I had mine done at around 90k, just to be on the safe side, even though I was told I was wasting my money doing it..
Also if you have rear air suspension, find out when the bags were replaced last. If you have bags, my guess is that they have been replaced at least once on a vehicle with 115k miles. If no record of when bags were last replaced, I would examine them and if any signs of cracks, just replace them right away.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #5
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5m5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj22 View Post
Thanks my only concern is getting into a situation where the car is constantly in the shop. When I bought my e60 M5 I did a major maintenance to make sure and even with the supercharger it's still been very reliable.
Your biggest concern will be engine failure (n = 2) do make sure the warranty covers that. Otherwise control arms, coils, plugs like 1norseman said. Mine is in the shop now for injectors but those and I believe the crank vent hose are covered till 10 years/130k.
Appreciate 0