BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
ERG505
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35d

2017 X5 3.5d maintenance.

Hope all is good.

My lease on my 2017 X5 3.5d is about up and I’m thinking about buying it out. Any thoughts on the cost of maintaining a diesel, I’ve heard that new restrictions have made them really expensive.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
gvarr03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY'15 X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERG505 View Post
Hope all is good.

My lease on my 2017 X5 3.5d is about up and I’m thinking about buying it out. Any thoughts on the cost of maintaining a diesel, I’ve heard that new restrictions have made them really expensive.

Thanks in advance!

- Obvious.. changing oil/filter, air filter, coolant etc regularly. Adding DEF, changing fuel filter every 20-30k miles.

- If you do more city driving, take it at least once a week on a highway for a longer period of time to let DPF to regenerate and burn the soot and you should be fine.

Maybe I'm missing something...other members could pitch in
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

DPF regeneration takes place at any speed on any road. While it is true that is more effective at speeds above 40mph, driving on a highway to do this is only a myth.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERG505 View Post
Hope all is good.

Thanks in advance!
What restrictions are you talking about? Right to repair? Not yet. Download ISTA D (aka Rheingold) and you will have almost same diagnostic software as dealership.

The big question is: who will be doing the maintenance? You? Dealership? Indy?

Oil changes cost a bit more because of DEF refills. However, everything else is the same as with gas variants. With D, you don't have to worry about plugs, or coils. Just change fuel filter on regular basis.

Cost of maintenance is bit higher than Honda or Toyota, due to frequency of required maintenance. For example: brake flush every two years, coolant flush every two years, dif oil changes, oil changes every 10k miles, etc. However, even Honda and Toyota are getting close to maintenance requirements as BMW since they started going with direct injection turbo engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:50 AM   #5
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Regen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
DPF regeneration takes place at any speed on any road. While it is true that is more effective at speeds above 40mph, driving on a highway to do this is only a myth.
Do u ever here your car doing a regen i used to be able to smell it but not after the egr vale and cooler got replaced . On my Vw i can tell all the time rpm go up and smell and exhaust sound like a slight burble . I could not tell u the last time my x5 35d has done one. Just thinking maybe it only does a regen on the highway ? Dealer says its working
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Check the oil temp gauge on the dashboard. When the indicating needle is slightly to the right of the middle position, the car is doing DPF regen.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

I'm pretty sure BMW still hasn't solved the CBU (carbon build up) issue with the diesel's, hence the reason they are no longer offered in North America. That's the only reason I didn't buy mine out after the lease was up. Here in Illinois we get terrible quality BioDiesel that wreaks all kinds of havoc on the emissions equipment.
      02-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #8
weareweird69
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
I'm pretty sure BMW still hasn't solved the CBU (carbon build up) issue with the diesel's, hence the reason they are no longer offered in North America. That's the only reason I didn't buy mine out after the lease was up. Here in Illinois we get terrible quality BioDiesel that wreaks all kinds of havoc on the emissions equipment.
No one ever will solve the carbon build up. Diesel is inherently dirty, and sooty. Of course shoving all of the "unburnt diesel" back into the intake will cause build ups. That stuff is extremely sticky lol

We have about 85,000 on ours now. Had the recall done on it, and if it ever gets to the point where it needs emissions equipment replaced. Its going in the dumpster... The emissions.
      02-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
Quote:
No one ever will solve the carbon build up. Diesel is inherently dirty, and sooty. Of course shoving all of the "unburnt diesel" back into the intake will cause build ups. That stuff is extremely sticky lol

We have about 85,000 on ours now. Had the recall done on it, and if it ever gets to the point where it needs emissions equipment replaced. Its going in the dumpster... The emissions.
I hear you on that. I got rid of my 2015 35d right at 50K miles when the maintenance and warranty ran out. I think the people who have the most problems with CBU are the ones who never put their foot down and rev the engine out, and drive short distances to the point that the regen doesn't properly kick in. That's great to hear you've gotten so many miles without issue.
      02-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #10
weareweird69
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I hear you on that. I got rid of my 2015 35d right at 50K miles when the maintenance and warranty ran out. I think the people who have the most problems with CBU are the ones who never put their foot down and rev the engine out, and drive short distances to the point that the regen doesn't properly kick in. That's great to hear you've gotten so many miles without issue.

We do a lot of short trips, usually a 20 mile jaunt each way during the week. But, at times, usually a few times a month, we go out and rip on it lol
      02-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Diesels are not inheritently dirty; it's the emissions bolt-ons such as EGR that cause the bulk of CBU issues, further affected by quality of fuel used, driving patterns, condition of other components and other factors that may be within or not of your control.

The maintenance itself isn't much different - $$ wise,- than gazzers. But there are just more components that may break/require attention.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #12
weareweird69
First Lieutenant
Rep

Wipe your finger on a non-emissions diesel exhaust pipe. Bet your finger turns black. lol The whole back corner of my truck is black.... Diesel fuel being burnt creates soot, no matter how good of the fuel, or how you drive. It only increases or decreases how much it makes. Route that back into an intake (EGR), and naturally you get build up. I didn't say the diesel engine makes the intake dirty. The emissions are the issue. Routing dirty exhaust back into the intake. Ive been working on diesel vehicles for 15 years. Trust me, I know how they work lol

When you replace a catalytic converter on a gasoline vehicle, you're talking a few hundred. Replacing a DPF or Catalytic converter on a diesel, you're talking a few thousand for it all. EGR has been around for decades on gasoline engines. They generally don't cause issues. EGR's on diesels have been causing issues since day one. Add in the catalysts and their components and holy crap is it bad. Had a pump burn up on a piece of equipment... $4,700 to replace the pump. Thats not including labor. Its all a racket.