BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #1
SSR941
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F80 ZCP

Need help!!! BM3 issues

I just tried to flash my F80 with BM3 for the very first time and it failed. Battery charger hooked up 13.5+ volts, all doors closed, AC off, latest software agent, great internet connection, etc.
Two different errors. Preconditions not met and Internal error. My F80 is now bricked in my driveway and Bootmod3 help portal is down.

Please if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it. Car will not start, trunk will not open.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Did you make sure to turn off any firewall or antivirus? I know that caused issues for some? Their tech support works I just tried it did you try the right link?

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/servi...tomer/portal/1
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR941 View Post
I just tried to flash my F80 with BM3 for the very first time and it failed. Battery charger hooked up 13.5+ volts, all doors closed, AC off, latest software agent, great internet connection, etc.
Two different errors. Preconditions not met and Internal error. My F80 is now bricked in my driveway and Bootmod3 help portal is down.

Please if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it. Car will not start, trunk will not open.
First thing is no need to panic at all. Preconditions check failing means one of 11-12 checks wasn't allowing you to flash the car (e.g. battery too low, ignition off, etc). That can be skipped and we hope you didn't skip checks to force it but regardless we'll look into it and resolve it with you.

Tech support is hosted by Atlassian. Its one of the largest tech support ticketing and other collaboration software as a service providers, not something we've built. Them being down is almost like Twitter or Gmail being down, highly unlikely. In addition, any emails to our support at protuningfreaks dot com also generate a support ticket. Make sure you sign up with a separate login on the Tech Support portal. It doesn't use your bootmod3 login.

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 02-28-2018 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3816.50
      02-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Did you make sure to turn off any firewall or antivirus? I know that caused issues for some? Their tech support works I just tried it did you try the right link?

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
SSR941
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post

It is now working. Just submitted support ticket. I will confirm firewall is turned off today.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
It is now working. Just submitted support ticket. I will confirm firewall is turned off today.
Definitely make sure on that. Some 3rd party firewall solutions such as McAfee in particular can be very nasty in terms of how they 'protect' your computer from so called 'intrusion'. Here's a post from a customer just recently on a similar issue:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=637

We've reached back out through the ticket to you. Let us know and we'll remote in and have a look.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3816.50
      02-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #7
rexb16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 362i

no offense guys, but maybe it's time to recommend that customers not attempt this on their own until all the bugs are worked out. I feel like I'm reading one of these posts every day.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
AlpineWhite_F80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 M3C, 21 X6 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb16 View Post
no offense guys, but maybe it's time to recommend that customers not attempt this on their own until all the bugs are worked out. I feel like I'm reading one of these posts every day.
I had 0 problems like most people, not all BM3 customers are here and the big majority only post when they have a problem and then they disappear.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:27 AM   #9
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it can certainly seem that way when most guys that post are guys that may run into an issue. There were for instance around 35 cars done over the last 3 days and things have quieted down considerably starting with OBD Agent version 0.9.69 (we're at .72 now with changes for dual DMEs) which has opened up time for us to also add support for the N55 and have done testing with dual DME cars otherwise there would be no time.

As of now there are no known issues with the offline flasher or unlock. In the odd chance a fuel light error comes up after a flash the online recode is there to clear that up. McAfee and similar network protection/firewall tools will cause issues if left turned on but it can be anything rally and the more people use the system out in the wild we'll see it being used in various scenarios as people use software in different ways. It can also be a bad ENET cable at times as the guys offering coding can attest to seeing over time.

There are now over 240 active offline flasher users and its our default flash option used not just by the S55 customers but also N55 EWG/PWG, N20/N26 and as of yesterday N63tu/S63tu. We reached out to the OP to help and see what may have been root cause but he's away until 430-5pm today.

We know and have screenshots of other tools failing as well and have emails from users who have switched to BM3 due to similar fails with other solutions. We won't share them here but do keep in mind that usually what's posted is about an issue and someone wanted to simply get as much attention to it as possible at a given time to resolve it asap, and its only natural to do that. We typically get instantly messaged on facebook, here, instagram and only then, maybe/hopefully, on our tech support that really should be the go to support channel but that's life.
Appreciate 3
      02-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I cant stress the anti-virus enough. My car did the same thing as yours and we got another set of eyes to remote in and within a couple minutes he saw the securities running on my laptop. Disabled them, reflashed to stock remotely, then we did the flash for tune and TCU. Both went thru without any hitch whatsoever after that friggen anti-virus and firewalls were disabled!!

I have been in your position and the first time I ended up getting the car re-programmed at the dealer unfortunately but Dzenan was at the ready every time i needed him so he will get you squared away.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
SSR941
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Quote:
Yeah it can certainly seem that way when most guys that post are guys that may run into an issue. There were for instance around 35 cars done over the last 3 days and things have quieted down considerably starting with OBD Agent version 0.9.69 (we're at .72 now with changes for dual DMEs) which has opened up time for us to also add support for the N55 and have done testing with dual DME cars otherwise there would be no time.

As of now there are no known issues with the offline flasher or unlock. In the odd chance a fuel light error comes up after a flash the online recode is there to clear that up. McAfee and similar network protection/firewall tools will cause issues if left turned on but it can be anything rally and the more people use the system out in the wild we'll see it being used in various scenarios as people use software in different ways. It can also be a bad ENET cable at times as the guys offering coding can attest to seeing over time.

There are now over 240 active offline flasher users and its our default flash option used not just by the S55 customers but also N55 EWG/PWG, N20/N26 and as of yesterday N63tu/S63tu. We reached out to the OP to help and see what may have been root cause but he's away until 430-5pm today.

We know and have screenshots of other tools failing as well and have emails from users who have switched to BM3 due to similar fails with other solutions. We won't share them here but do keep in mind that usually what's posted is about an issue and someone wanted to simply get as much attention to it as possible at a given time to resolve it asap, and its only natural to do that. We typically get instantly messaged on facebook, here, instagram and only then, maybe/hopefully, on our tech support that really should be the go to support channel but that's life.
I appreciate the quick support response. Looking forward to diagnosing later today.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
SSR941
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1857 View Post
I cant stress the anti-virus enough. My car did the same thing as yours and we got another set of eyes to remote in and within a couple minutes he saw the securities running on my laptop. Disabled them, reflashed to stock remotely, then we did the flash for tune and TCU. Both went thru without any hitch whatsoever after that friggen anti-virus and firewalls were disabled!!

I have been in your position and the first time I ended up getting the car re-programmed at the dealer unfortunately but Dzenan was at the ready every time i needed him so he will get you squared away.
Awesome! I'm sure it's simple. We will get it resolved I have no doubts.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #13
SSR941
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

SOLVED! My issue ended up being not enough voltage. Using TeamViewer Dzenan helped me out and it's back to life. Great support! Thank you.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3816.50
      03-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

So what was it then?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #15
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
So what was it then?
In the post above yours he said not enough Voltage
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #16
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
This is almost always much more an issue with whoever is flashing the car and not an issue with something PTF has provided. Usually its voltage-which happens. Thankfully PTF is awesome at support and helping to remedy the situation!
Appreciate 1
FSociety3816.50
      03-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #17
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Quote:
SOLVED! My issue ended up being not enough voltage. Using TeamViewer Dzenan helped me out and it's back to life. Great support! Thank you.
this is exactly why they recommend a charger on the battery. strange how yours was hooked up and still had a voltage drop. Dzenan recommended a few things to me before my flash and everything went butter smooth. extremely happy with bm3!
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 1
FSociety3816.50
      03-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
M4_MLT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A specific charger that has diagnostics mode is crucial on all F series bmw tuned via obd. Ecu needs alot of stable current

2018 Audi RS3 ? on the way
Appreciate 1
FSociety3816.50