Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Get the MPE system they said...it will sound GREAT they said..

*UPDATE REVIEW*
As I put more miles on it and get the system up to normal temp, it's starting to sound A LOT better. A lot of good advice and opinions in here, I think I prematurely judged this system. After the install I took a bunch of short drives and the system never got up to temp, it was really raspy and I hated it. Well like someone said earlier, once the titanium warms up the harsh rasp mostly goes away and what's left is a pretty good tone to the system. Nothing I would call amazing or anything but definitely pretty good sounding. Overall satisfied.

I LOVE everything about my new M3, but one area that really stinks is the way it sounds stock. God. Awful. Sounding.

After searching long and hard, it seems like everyone recommends the MPE system. Everyone says it will sound awesome and this is how the F8x should have come with. Well I trusted you guys with my wallet.

Had my system installed yesterday morning and took it for a drive all day yesterday and today, holy hell it sounds even worse at WOT. At partial throttle it sounds pretty decent, once you drop the hammer the car is possessed with the soul of a Honda 4 banger packing a 6" fart cannon. (Scratch that, I've heard Honda 4 Bangers with fart cannons sound better than this) My gawd, it sharts, it rasps, it pops and bangs. I'm kinda embarrassed to give it more than half throttle now.

Here's hoping it gets better as the miles go on or else I might be looking into another solution.

Oh and quick question for you current MPE owners, are your tips exactly centered with the diffuser? After installing mine, there is no adjustment at all, mine is slightly off. I can fit only 1 finger between the tip and diffuser on the driverside, but almost 2 fingers on the passenger side. Anybody else have this issue?

Last edited by DanMpower; 02-12-2018 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

You have ZCP? The ZCP tune (burbles activated) truly unlocks the sound of this car.

vs

2015 Black Sapphire F82 M4: Bootmod3 Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT TCU DIFF Flash / Remus Catback / VRSF Charge & J Pipe / MST Intakes / Mishimoto TMIC / RK Autowerks Crank Hub / Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5 ET22 19x10.5 ET45 / Powerflex Bushings / MSS HAS / Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Hotchkis Sways
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Ya, I only really like the MPE if you have ZCP. What kind of sound are you going for?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

The valves can make it sound bad. Get a controller or unplug them to have them stay open. Consider adding an x-pipe to deepen the tone and reduce rasp. Can be a cheap addition from a muffler shop or you can purchase a bolt on midpipe. Big names on this forum are AA and Fabspeed. The MPE is practically an axel back until you change the midpipe portion.
Appreciate 1
dubsesd6344.50
      02-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
The valves can make it sound bad. Get a controller or unplug them to have them stay open. Consider adding an x-pipe to deepen the tone and reduce rasp. Can be a cheap addition from a muffler shop or you can purchase a bolt on midpipe. Big names on this forum are AA and Fabspeed. The MPE is practically an axel back until you change the midpipe portion.
I think you're right Sancho, I've been driving it today and noticed it sounds pretty decent at times and pretty terrible at others depending on the mood of the valves.

I think it's kinda starting to sound a little better the more I drive it, might have jumped the gun making this thread.

So does anybody have the tip slightly off center like mine?

Last edited by DanMpower; 02-09-2018 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

get a canflap valve controller. basically plugs ibnto your obd port, and allows your bc stalk button to become a valve open/close buttton when pressed for a longer moment.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanIAM3 View Post
Quote:
I think you're right Sancho, I've been driving it today and noticed it sounds pretty decent at times and pretty terrible at others depending on the mood of the valves.

I think it's kinda starting to sound a little better the more I drive it, might have jumped the gun making this thread.

Oh by the way my car is not a ZCP, I think if it was with the overrun burbles I would hate it even worse. I guess I'm getting too old. So does anybody have the tip slightly off center like mine?
I have a CF diffuser and mine looks perfectly centered but the passenger side looks a little lower than the driver side.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Quote:

So does anybody have the tip slightly off center like mine?
It'll sound better as it breaks in. All exhausts do. As far as side to side adjustment goes, you can try loosening the hangars, reposition, and tighten back down. You might need a friend to help you.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Pair Active Auto midpipe with MPE, it will get rid of the rasp and give you a deeper sound. I had it on my 15’ and loved it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

I have High Flow cat downpipes, and Meistershaft Single midpipe with MPE rear. Non ZCP. Sounds unbelievable!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=3s&v=vkzJq7cvAXs
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #11
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Give it some time to break in. Also you gotta get some heat in titanium to make it less raspy. Give it some good pulls and she will open up. Also +1 on the valve controller. Open all the time
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I LOVE everything about my new M3, but one area that really stinks is the way it sounds stock. God. Awful. Sounding.

After searching long and hard, it seems like everyone recommends the MPE system. Everyone says it will sound awesome and this is how the F8x should have come with. Well I trusted you guys with my wallet.

Had my system installed yesterday morning and took it for a drive all day yesterday and today, holy hell it sounds even worse at WOT. At partial throttle it sounds pretty decent, once you drop the hammer the car is possessed with the soul of a Honda 4 banger packing a 6" fart cannon. (Scratch that, I've heard Honda 4 Bangers with fart cannons sound better than this) My gawd, it sharts, it rasps, it pops and bangs. I'm kinda embarrassed to give it more than half throttle now.

Here's hoping it gets better as the miles go on or else I might be looking into another solution.

Oh and quick question for you current MPE owners, are your tips exactly centered with the diffuser? After installing mine, there is no adjustment at all, mine is slightly off. I can fit only 1 finger between the tip and diffuser on the driverside, but almost 2 fingers on the passenger side. Anybody else have this issue?
Don't let anyone lie to you nothing will make this car sound "good". It can go from absolutely horrible to somewhat livable. Not trying to be a troll it just is what it is. It's the "thing you have to deal with" if you want an S55 powered M.
Appreciate 6
      02-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #13
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:

Don't let anyone lie to you nothing will make this car sound "good". It can go from absolutely horrible to somewhat livable. Not trying to be a troll it just is what it is. It's the "thing you have to deal with" if you want an S55 powered M.
Agreed. There is truly no good option for the s55 engine, just less bad ones. They all sound terrible to some degree.
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00
      02-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #14
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Pretty subjective but my car's setup sounds phenomenal. It just cost a bunch of money to make it that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:

1) No my tips are perfectly aligned and fitted. I had them installed by the dealership. I have the Carbon Fiber tips:

2) Like you, I hated my previous non ZCP 2017 M4's exhaust sound so much, it made me hate the car really, didn't feel like I was driving something special so with my 2018 M4 ZCP this time, I made sure I ordered it with the MPE from day one and it's been the best upgrade ever! I can't get enough of it even after owning the car for more than 6 months now. I rarely listen to music now, just wanna hear that roar of thunder and burbles that are even louder with the MPE! Pure addiction!

Watch my video here:

LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #16
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Downpipes + stock exhaust still sounds the best to me.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #17
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Agreed. There is truly no good option for the s55 engine, just less bad ones. They all sound terrible to some degree.
Agreed.

To me the least "Bad" option is going with AA midpipes with stock exhaust. Cost is reasonable and to me it sounds way better than MPE or Akra (the two most popular options from what I've seen on the forum). Second IMO has to go to Dinan Axle-back with stock resonators and DPs.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #18
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:

I have ZCP , turn off DSC and MDM.... Improved the sound for me. The power cut from the nannies distorts the pure exhaust note, hence the farting.. I'm not sure about the valves but it makes sense to try this too. I think ZCP sounds good when the nannies are off.

Last edited by Ilikemike; 02-10-2018 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #19
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Not much to do with ZCP or not. OP got it spot on. With MPE, low end is decent, middle range is a bit raspy and up top is ear-piercing. If paired downpipe, it's not livable at all anywhere outside of track.

S55 is a very inferior sounding engine, there is no fix to it.
      02-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #20
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

All the negative opinions notwithstanding - I'm absolutely loving my MPE combined with the ZCP - I just make sure I drive it in Sport or Sport+ throttle all the time - I just can't get enough of it...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #21
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post

Snappy, the CF tips looks awesome with the diffuser on your car. I had second thoughts about going with the CF tips but I went and ordered an M-Performance diffuser. I'm glad I did because it looks great together.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #22
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

I heard the MPE in person while shopping for an exhaust, it sounds horrible. Too much rasp

Went with AA midpipe and Remus rear section, it sounds PERFECT. No drone, dead quiet at cruising speeds and has some balls when you step on it

Deep and burbly sound.
Appreciate 0