Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
Copasetic222
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Akrapovic Exhaust owners please speak out

I've been doing a lot of forum searching to help me choose the best exhaust for me. I've read a lot of posts indicating the Akra and MPE aren't loud enough, are too pricey, etc.

On occasion, but not often, an Akra owner will chime in with positive comments. I'm hoping there are more Akra owners out there that will comment, positive or negative about the system.

I ask because I'm about to make a purchase and have narrowed it down to Akra (or MPE), Eisenmann Sport or possibly Dinan.

Cost is of course part of the decision but not the only part or the most important factor. I'm after more than the stock CP exhaust (better tone, not just loudness) and no drone!

I've searched hard to find cars to listen to vs video clips but I've been unsuccessful.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Redrckt135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5 & 17 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasetic222
I've been doing a lot of forum searching to help me choose the best exhaust for me. I've read a lot of posts indicating the Akra and MPE aren't loud enough, are too pricey, etc.

On occasion, but not often, an Akra owner will chime in with positive comments. I'm hoping there are more Akra owners out there that will comment, positive or negative about the system.

I ask because I'm about to make a purchase and have narrowed it down to Akra (or MPE), Eisenmann Sport or possibly Dinan.

Cost is of course part of the decision but not the only part or the most important factor. I'm after more than the stock CP exhaust (better tone, not just loudness) and no drone!

I've searched hard to find cars to listen to vs video clips but I've been unsuccessful.

Thanks!
You should look into switzer. Pm someone from AutoCouture or DME TUNING for pricing, they'll be able to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

I am coming from a 14 with CPE I now have a 16 with MPE and there is a tremendous difference in sound. The sound with MPE is perfect for me as it's a very different and much louder sound than CPE and kind of exotic. I also disabled ASD and the sound in the cabin is still louder than CPE with ASD. I wanted a full exhaust and didn't want anything crazy loud straight piped etc. The MPE is not the loudest option by far but suits the car perfectly IMHO. Yes some people on here say it's not loud enough and not worth the money but personally I wouldn't do anything differently. I like the way it sounds inside the car and heard it for the first time a few days ago outside the car and was like wow! If you are wanting more growl at low revs and a sweet scream when your on the throttle this is the exhaust for you.

Edit: btw I think I discovered what the exhaust flaps do lol minimize drone! I took my first interstate trip yesterday since I wired them open and was getting some drone at cruising speeds. Not too bad but I may unwire them or just deal with it because I like the result all other times.
Appreciate 1
gdavis34.50
      09-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep

Oh and can't beat the MP CF tips
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
gdavis34.50
patb2393.00
      09-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Hey buddy. I too went through the same thing when researching. Number 1 priority was to stay away from drone as past experience proved that I quickly become tired from driving a car that's loud all the time. Ultimately I choose akra over the eisenmann sport because I was looking for exotic tone over V8 muscle sound. Akra, like others, preserves the exhaust flapper valve, this is key to eliminating drone.

The Akra is quiet though. In the beginning I found that it sounded best at WOT. Unfortunately that means you have to be putting the pedal down just to hear it. I came across Exhaustmiester which allows you to control the flapper valve to leave it open. This helped to increase volume when desired, especially during slower, city driving.

I eventually wanted more... I added intakes to help, which they did. At this point I had already grown greedy... A few months ago I swapped out the factory cats with the AMS high flow ones. This was the biggest change which transformed the beast. The car is still somewhat quiet with valves closed, wild and exotic when open. WOT sounds like nothing else I've heard, most similar to the Maserati granturismo sport but in its own way, more "raspy" per se.

Granted at this point I'm over 10k deep but another factor to consider is resale value. I know that I will eventually sell these parts when my lease is up so that was important as well.

It is very tough to base anything on the videos. They don't depict how the car sounds during normal driving and then under load.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help out. Goodluck.

Oh and yes, definately disable ASD!
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Tanin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasetic222 View Post

Thanks!
Loudness is personal preference. Similar to vehicle color.
I've got MPE and catted DP and for me it sounds perfect. Burbles, pops, warm fuzzies, and can easily annoy neighbors and pedestrians when necessary. I've had a handful of different aftermarket exhaust on previous models and the Akra is hands down the best tone, loudness and rewarding system yet. Internet video clips are worthless for comparison. I'd suggest finding a local member to meet up with before you purchase any exhaust.
      09-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hov333
Hey buddy. I too went through the same thing when researching. Number 1 priority was to stay away from drone as past experience proved that I quickly become tired from driving a car that's loud all the time. Ultimately I choose akra over the eisenmann sport because I was looking for exotic tone over V8 muscle sound. Akra, like others, preserves the exhaust flapper valve, this is key to eliminating drone.

The Akra is quiet though. In the beginning I found that it sounded best at WOT. Unfortunately that means you have to be putting the pedal down just to hear it. I came across Exhaustmiester which allows you to control the flapper valve to leave it open. This helped to increase volume when desired, especially during slower, city driving.

I eventually wanted more... I added intakes to help, which they did. At this point I had already grown greedy... A few months ago I swapped out the factory cats with the AMS high flow ones. This was the biggest change which transformed the beast. The car is still somewhat quiet with valves closed, wild and exotic when open. WOT sounds like nothing else I've heard, most similar to the Maserati granturismo sport but in its own way, more "raspy" per se.

Granted at this point I'm over 10k deep but another factor to consider is resale value. I know that I will eventually sell these parts when my lease is up so that was important as well.

It is very tough to base anything on the videos. They don't depict how the car sounds during normal driving and then under load.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help out. Goodluck.

Oh and yes, definately disable ASD!
Does the Exhaustmeister "remember" the last setting or so you have to open again each time you restart?

Edit just read it defaults to OEM operation
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Ya it defaults which is great because you get in a drive. If you want more then you select
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Exhaust is really a personal thing but I needed something that didn't ring my ears on my 100 mile round trip commute yet gave the car some aggressive flair.

I went through every manufacturer and being in S. Cal I got to hear almost every combination that one might put on a list to choose between.

I really wanted to buy and love the Akra. I went in thinking, if this sounds as good as it looks then I'm all in. To me, if you were to do a blind sound test...you can only tell the difference between the competition stock exhaust and Akra on startup and WOT. When the car warms up, its almost hardly a difference inside the cabin or outside during cruising speeds.

The Eisenmann exhaust was a bit too tinny sounding to me. I was looking for a deeper tone. Again, a personal preference thing.

Never heard the Dinan. Never even considered it.

I ended up with the Meisterschaft GTC system with the 102mm exhaust tips. Some of the cons to this system is, it will wakeup ALL your neighbors on start up, the tips are hard to keep clean and the tips are so large, it fills up the exhaust opening on the stock diffuser. Once the exhaust warms down, the sound is a deep throaty purr. WOT with the remote valves open, it screams like a formula car. With the valves closed, the noise is rather tame. The beauty of this system is, it can be as loud and obnoxious as you want it to be. Then close the valves and it will just a deep rumble. Ying and yang of sorts.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #10
Eddybro
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne e90 and SG e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasetic222

Thanks!
Almost any full system will have drone.. if you want the best and most exotic sound.. you need Downpipes, to really wake it up, and have the burbles and rasps. Most of the videos you see online for those systems have downpipes on the car.

When you get downpipes, your going to need a flash tune...

Which means your gonna void your warranty..

So your ultimate your question should be, am I willing to void my warranty for the best possible sound, or do I just want to make my car louder?...

Work your way backwards from your ideal dream scenario..

It always starts with.. I want to make my car louder.. next thing you know your 10k deep... lol
      09-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

akra is overpriced. system is weak. they managed to even make the s65 motor sound weak.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #12
Copasetic222
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Thanks for the responses.

I will not void the warranty. That's not going to happen.

I've seen a lot on the Meisterschaft GTC system. I believe it would be louder than I want, most of the time. Seems like I'd be defeating the purpose to run it with the valves regularly closed.

I've tried (hard) to find installs to listen to in the closest major metro area and even to places I'll be traveling to soon. So far, I've been totally unsuccessful.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #13
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Akra is overpriced for the sound. Good quality, though, otherwise BMW wouldn't use it as a factory option.

I will post a video of Eisenmann Sport and catless once I get them installed
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

M Performance Exhaust is 100% titanium and quality it one of the very best.
Sound is not the loudest but it sounds very good! Much better than stock and comp pack exhausts.
If you want more sound and performance add a set of catless downpipes.
Catless downpipes and M Performance Exhaust is one of the best sounding exhausts for the M5 in my opinion.

And......ZERO drone!!
      09-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have the Akra - PDC installed and I bought the car off the dealers lot. The sound took some getting used to - I am a conservative kind of guy so was not too thrilled with the sound at the beginning of my ownership. Now i LOVE it. No drone whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #16
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

You could try Ageny Power Ti system... very similar to Akrapovic in sound but less than half the cost and has no drone?

Isn't the M-Performance exhaust just the Akra in BMW's badges??
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #17
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v
You could try Ageny Power Ti system... very similar to Akrapovic in sound but less than half the cost and has no drone?

Isn't the M-Performance exhaust just the Akra in BMW's badges??
From what I can tell the Exhaust itself is completely the same plus/minus the BMW logo.
The tips are completely different and the MPE Carbon tips are one of the best I've seen.
      09-25-2016, 12:08 AM   #18
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

^^^Agreed ... although I do like my blue 'flamed' Ti tips on the Agency Power system as they are a good match to the body colour.
Appreciate 0