BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
M3CoolGuy
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Front Headrest - removal

Hey all,
I got the idea the other day that the debossed ///M3 headrests would look a lot better if I was able to get them color embroidered. So I went about trying to pull one out and see about disassembling, removing the material and bringing to a local custom embroider shop. Didn't get very far and I have a potentially embarrassing question to ask!

When I squeeze the adjustment collar, you know where the headrest post inserts at the top of the seat?, and then pull the whole rest UP, expecting it to simply slide right out, it stops suddenly and I can't get it out. Hmmm, seems like every other I've had, you just squeeze the collar and the rest pops right out the top!

So Um, what obvious step am I missing to remove the front headrests? I did a quick forum search, but didn't see much. Feel free to redirect me or give me a page # to RTFM? Or better yet, just a quick note to say "do this" would be amazing. Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The headrest will not come out unless you begin disassembling the seat itself. Starting in 2009, I think, the M3 came with active headrests (theyare supposed to move forward in the event of a crash so as to reduce neck injuries). That's why they won't come out like they used to.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
M3CoolGuy
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Safety 3rd, that's whatI always say. Thanks rantarM3.
Appreciate 0