E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Electronics: Audio / Video / Phone / Alarm / Navigation / Radar > E9X iPad Mini Retrofit Kit (iPad Included, Video Inside)

05-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
E9X iPad Mini Retrofit Kit (iPad Included, Video Inside)

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 550.00

Item Interest
Unfortunately I have decided to sell my iPad mini retrofit kit to help free up money for other projects that I want to embark on.

Here is a video from when the project was almost complete:
Please note that the issue of unplugging and replugging the cable is no more, thats what the iStreamer is for.

Cost Breakdown:

iPad Mini 32GB WiFi $350
HRT iStreamer $200
Steelie Mount $25
RCA-3.5mm Cable - $20
Lighting Cable - $20

Total: $615 not including some velcro and sweat equity

I am looking to sell the whole kit for $550. If you are local we can discuss me installing for you.

Pro's:
Whole music library at fingertips
Great GPS (you need to purchase 50-60 Bluetooth GPS device)
Pandora/Internet Radio if you Jailbreak phone
Really anything an internet connected iPad can do!

Cons: iPad will get very hot on summer days and will give a temperature warning, should go away after a minute or two of AC blowing on it.

Quote:
To make the iPad look more OEM I set the ConnectedDrive video as the lock screen's wallpaper and the BMW Link App wallpaper as the iPad background.

Using Activator (jailbreak app) I have programmed the iPad to auto lock when it loses charging power (iPad locks when car turns off) and also to pause any playing music.

On my iPhone 5s I am running a jailbreak app called MyWi which is a tethering app since I did not want to get a 4G iPad and pay for another data plan.

On my iPad I am using MyWi on demand. the way it works is this:

When the iPad screen turns on it automatically will look for my phone that is running MyWi. When it finds it it will auto connect it to my phones internet. This usually works fast enough that by the time the car turns on the iPad has internet.

Maps will be using a device called XGPS150A which is a bluetooth GPS receiver that will allow the WiFi model iPad to be used for turn by turn !

The iPad is mounted using a Steelie car mount and some high strength velcro. It is easy to remove to throw in the glove box if you feel like you are parking in a less then safe neighborhood.

Last edited by smithf80; 05-08-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Bump
      05-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

pics of how this unit looks with the steelie mount? Also can you explain the benefits of the isteamer and how you have it installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
pics of how this unit looks with the steelie mount? Also can you explain the benefits of the isteamer and how you have it installed?
Will take them today.

The iStreamer is a DAC (Digital Audio Converter). It happens to be the only automotive DAC that supports enough power to charge an iPad. It is dual purpose; its lets the iPad both play music and charge through one cable and it also samples the audio at full quality, making for a much cleaner input thru the aux and an extremely clean input when used with an aftermarket audio system.

It is currently hidden behind the climate controls, the lighting cable snakes up the dash and comes out behind the iPad, and the audio and power cables run thru the center console trim piece and into the armrest where the plug in.