E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins fit on 335is???

07-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
aphroti
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is coupe

Ohlins fit on 335is???

Is Ohlins fit on 2011 335is???
Wondering between kw v3 and ohlins R&T...

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
stupordave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Can't comment on coilovers but I went for the Dinan stage 2 upgrade and couldn't be happier. Got the right balance with a slight drop in the front and the car handles much better in the corners.
      07-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
aphroti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupordave View Post
Can't comment on coilovers but I went for the Dinan stage 2 upgrade and couldn't be happier. Got the right balance with a slight drop in the front and the car handles much better in the corners.
thx, how what's the change on a Dinan stage 2 suspension to stock?

And how do you like the stage engine tune? worth the money? Dinan stage 2 engine tune together with the intercooler and oil cooler mod is quite a money.

ZYZ
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Yes Ohlins R&T fits any E9X 3-series...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
stupordave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Stage 2 includes progressive springs, stiffer front sway bar and new rear shock mounts to increase travel. Drops the front about 1/2" which matches the rear perfectly. Really flat in the corners and seems less harsh than stock.

I'm running the Dinan FMIC and oil cooler but a COBB eTune by pro tuning freaks. Really brought the IS to another level in terms of fun.
      07-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
I'm super happy with my Ohlins. Transforms the car without any harsh ride characteristics. Highly recommended! And stay away from Dinan engine tunes for 335is. Search and you will find many problems. Go with Cobb or JB4.
      07-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
aphroti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400
I'm super happy with my Ohlins. Transforms the car without any harsh ride characteristics. Highly recommended! And stay away from Dinan engine tunes for 335is. Search and you will find many problems. Go with Cobb or JB4.
Really the Dinan is that bad? Let me check.

ZYZ
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphroti View Post
Really the Dinan is that bad? Let me check.

ZYZ
Don't mean to hijack thread but be careful with Dinan products. I have nothing against all Dinan products in fact I have their CAI and love it. But it is a fact that Dinan products are way over priced compared to other vendors. Only reason to go with Dinan is their warranty which gives some people comfort.

I had Dinan stage 2 tune for a few months and it worked fine for me but cost almost $2,000. Cobb is so much better if you want a Flash tune and costs less than half of Dinan. JB4 is even cheaper than Cobb and has great features. Go with Cobb or JB4 most everyone agrees with this. I removed my Dinan tune and never looked back. Dinan is simply an inferior tuning solution. And Dinan has been unable to fix problems with 335is installations.

Unless you track your car you do not need upgraded oil cooler. If you do want to upgrade anyway then go with ER oil cooler not Dinan. FMIC is another story you can definitely benefit by upgrading. Once again Dinan costs twice as much for their Oil Cooler and their FMIC compared to solutions from other vendors of equal or better quality.

See a pattern with Dinan?
      07-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
aphroti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
Don't mean to hijack thread but be careful with Dinan products. I have nothing against all Dinan products in fact I have their CAI and love it. But it is a fact that Dinan products are way over priced compared to other vendors. Only reason to go with Dinan is their warranty which gives some people comfort.

I had Dinan stage 2 tune for a few months and it worked fine for me but cost almost $2,000. Cobb is so much better if you want a Flash tune and costs less than half of Dinan. JB4 is even cheaper than Cobb and has great features. Go with Cobb or JB4 most everyone agrees with this. I removed my Dinan tune and never looked back. Dinan is simply an inferior tuning solution. And Dinan has been unable to fix problems with 335is installations.

Unless you track your car you do not need upgraded oil cooler. If you do want to upgrade anyway then go with ER oil cooler not Dinan. FMIC is another story you can definitely benefit by upgrading. Once again Dinan costs twice as much for their Oil Cooler and their FMIC compared to solutions from other vendors of equal or better quality.

See a pattern with Dinan?
Thx,
ohhhh, seems quite a bit people dislike Dinan here. Anyway I won't choose Dinan cuz it cost simply too much and all other tune-ups are way cheaper and seemed not bad according to their specs. I think I might prefer Cobb cuz it seems easy to use.
While I just start to look into tune cars and I need more knowledge and exp for engine tunes..... I just change the coilover and looking for brake options (gosh they are expensive).
ZYZ
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

What are your suspension goals? Ohlins in particular is quite a performance oriented option and isn't the best solution for "just lowering" if that's what you are looking for. Tell us more.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
thx, how what's the change on a Dinan stage 2 suspension to stock?

And how do you like the stage engine tune? worth the money? Dinan stage 2 engine tune together with the intercooler and oil cooler mod is quite a money.

Dinan is attractive to those who don't know better.

Their suspension kits for instance use stock rubber bushings, stock suspension arms, stock rear subframe bushings....you get the idea. A turd.

You'll be much happier with Eibach Sports and Yellows. Happier yet with M arms, using Delrin. Ecstatic with a Wavetrac LSD. Transcendent with M rear subframe bushings and M sways.

Dinan tune? Don't bother. Can't remove & resell - once bought, your cash is permanently gone along with your stock tune. Inferior to, yet much more expensive than, the best popular tunes.

They do, however, have a badge. A company that exists for poseurs, you get: A pot metal badge that says DINAN. But only if you spend a minimum of many thousand$. See, you have to "earn" the Dinan badge.

Name:  Hair on fire.gif
Views: 494
Size:  10.1 KB

Easy to spend $20k there. Falls short of $7500 wisely spent elsewhere.

Way, way short.

Wow.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-06-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
aphroti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
What are your suspension goals? Ohlins in particular is quite a performance oriented option and isn't the best solution for "just lowering" if that's what you are looking for. Tell us more.
I'm not seeking just lower. its already low enough...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Ok, that eliminates what you aren't seeking. I repeat- what are your goals?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
aphroti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
just for performance needs xD. maybe I can refer to some of your options...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
aphroti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, that eliminates what you aren't seeking. I repeat- what are your goals?
goal? better corner handling better braking experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
stupordave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Dinan is attractive to those who don't know better.

Their suspension kits for instance use stock rubber bushings, stock suspension arms, stock rear subframe bushings....you get the idea. A turd.

You'll be much happier with Eibach Sports and Yellows. Happier yet with M arms, using Delrin. Ecstatic with a Wavetrac LSD. Transcendent with M rear subframe bushings and M sways.

Dinan tune? Don't bother. Can't remove & resell - once bought, your cash is permanently gone along with your stock tune. Inferior, yet much more expensive than the best popular tunes.

They do, however, have a badge. A company that exists for poseurs, you get: A pot metal badge that says DINAN. But only if you spend a minimum of many thousand$. Easy to spend $20k there. Falls short of $7500 wisely spent.

Way short.

Wow.

I'm pretty happy with my poseur stuff... although I'm not quite sure which subculture I'm posuer'ing. Was a good option for me on a fairly new car and it performs flawlessly. To each his own, badge and all.
Attached Images

07-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
aphroti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupordave View Post
I'm pretty happy with my poseur stuff... although I'm not quite sure which subculture I'm posuer'ing. Was a good option for me on a fairly new car and it performs flawlessly. To each his own, badge and all.
nice! so u didn't go the dinan tuning but the cobb from ptf....what's the difference between cobb and ptf?

ZYZ
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #18
stupordave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

COBB is the manufacturer of the AP (access port) that comes preloaded with some OTS (off the shelf) maps depending on your mods and octane availability. The OTS maps are great, but may be too conservative for some...or overly agressive for others. Pro-tuning freaks (PTF) uses the access port to fine tune a map specifically for your car and wants. I wanted great throttle response, with strong predicatable power and they delivered in spades. Really delivered a fast, great driving car. If I was doing it again, I'd just buy the COBB AP from PTF with an included eTune map. Would have saved a couple of hundred over buying separately from different vendors.

As others have stated above, I chose to stay away from the Dinan tune. Can't talk from personal experience but quite a few guys switched from DINAN to COBB and never looked back. Probably a great a tune, I just chose the COBB route instead.

That's my opinion from my experiences...but there are a lot of opinions on this site!
      07-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
goal? better corner handling better braking experience.
With the Ohlins on my car I sit 1/4" above my previous height with the M-Sport suspension and everything about the ride is better and the handling is superior.

Drove down to HP Autowerks in Santa Barbara for the install and then home on the Ohlins. Night and day difference. It is much firmer but the jolts from impacts are softened.
      07-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
With the Ohlins on my car I sit 1/4" above my previous height with the M-Sport suspension and everything about the ride is better and the handling is superior.
To be fair, they ride that high because whoever fitted them for you set them at that height. Ohlins are height-adjustable, so they could just as easily have been set 1/4" lower than the M-Sport than above...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #21
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
To be fair, they ride that high because whoever fitted them for you set them at that height. Ohlins are height-adjustable, so they could just as easily have been set 1/4" lower than the M-Sport than above...
Exactly, and it is what I asked for.