F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Picking up 328i today! Driving 350 miles tomorrow
ARMA SPEED

02-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

Picking up 328i today! Driving 350 miles tomorrow

My car came in over the weekend and I am happy to say I am getting it today!

I am owning not leasing.

I wanted to know what everyone thought about break-in on the car. Is it better to break it in in short trips around town, or to drive a lot at one time. I am taking a business trip tomorrow (350 miles or so) and was not sure about taking the new car. It would be mostly Interstate, so I would be driving in 75 mile an hour range for extended periods (of course I can mix the speed up up some). In years past, it was recommedned to vary your speed alot during the break-in period.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
HTRules
1LT Co. B 16th Signal Battalion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4; 2022 X4MC

See P. 160 in the owner's manual.

IMO the best way to fully break in a new car is to find a nice seconday road with lots of curves and hopefully some elevation changes. Thats the best way to break in the engine, transmission, diff., tires and brakes.

Stay off the freeways, as driving at freeway speeds for prolonged times is probably the wrong (or, at least, not the best) thing to do.

If you do find that great road with some hills and lots of curves built into it, you should also bring some skin lotion to help wipe away the laugh and smile-line wrinkles that are sure to exist on your face after driving your new Bimmer!

Have fun...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
anjizkit
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (So on SO)

not really a break in expert.. but congratulations on the new car!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
everettpa1
Rep
Drives: 13 335i M Sport

Don't sweat it. Nothing excessive or repetitive in the first 1,200 miles or so. Limited redlining and vary highway speeds and you are good.

I think highway driving is a good way to chew up these miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

It's not about varying speed as much as it is varying engine speed or RPM. The manual recommends that you do not use the kickdown detent, which is capable of shifting from 8th to 2nd. The cogs need to be lubricated, and the best way to do that is with some city driving. If you must cruise on the highway (do not use cruise control), stay below 100 mph for the tires and make sure to use manual mode to vary engine speed no higher than 4500 rpm and dart around the lanes a bit. Slow down and speed up, make passing maneuvers, anything that will keep the engine at speeds between 1500 and 4500. Don't demand too much, but don't dawdle.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
fafs
First time Bimmer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EBII M Sport XDrive

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
It's not about varying speed as much as it is varying engine speed or RPM. The manual recommends that you do not use the kickdown detent, which is capable of shifting from 8th to 2nd. The cogs need to be lubricated, and the best way to do that is with some city driving. If you must cruise on the highway (do not use cruise control), stay below 100 mph for the tires and make sure to use manual mode to vary engine speed no higher than 4500 rpm and dart around the lanes a bit. Slow down and speed up, make passing maneuvers, anything that will keep the engine at speeds between 1500 and 4500. Don't demand too much, but don't dawdle.
Varying engine speed is KEY so 350 miles at one rpm level wouldnt be the best but won't cause any harm either.....its only 350 miles....just get off the hwy a few times.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I did not take my new 328i on the business trip, but did take an ATS

Okay, so I decided not to put 400 miles on my new 328i the second day I owned it. I rented a car, and I lucked into renting a Cadillac ATS 2.0T with 14 miles. So, here are my impressions of the ATS:

I had considered the ATS when I was shopping for a new car. And test drove it before I looked at the 328i. After I test drove the ATS, I was impressed. But of course, I knew it was not in the same league as the BMW when I got in the 328i for a test drive.

Anyway, I had a good chance to put the ATS through some paces (400 mile one-day trip). Overall, I remain impressed with the Cadillac. It is in my opinion that the ATS may be the best driving Cadillac made to date. Here are the positives and negatives I took note of during my drive:
Positives:
• Ride was smooth. It provided a comfortable ride, yet still retained a good feel for the road.
• Steering was excellent. Responsive. The car handled corners well.
• Engine exhibited good acceleration, and gave me plenty of power when I asked for it.
• The technology in the car (rental did not have nav) worked well. My phone paired effortlessly, and contacts appeared quickly. It very easy to make and receive calls. Bluetooth mic and speaker performed well.
• Interior materials seemed very high quality
• I liked the instrument panel’s information display. It has three rectangular areas next to each other that the driver can elect to display info from a long list. So you can pick three items to constantly display (easily cycle through the others from any of the three areas).

Negatives:
• I witnessed firsthand the criticisms of the transmission. It was clunky, seemed to shift at awkward times and there were noticeable pauses when shifting from first to second.
• Interior styling was too busy. It struck me as too ambitious, trying to impress to hard and things seem cluttered. Too many colors and design patterns.
• CUE actually worked better than I thought. While driving I was able to navigate through its many menus and choices. However, I still experienced the occasional miss hit and accidental election. I am skeptical about any touch screen system for a driver, and this one reinforced my skepticism. I also had my phone charging on a USB cable and the cable on numerous occasions brushed against the controls and changed the volume and other settings.
• I was dissappointed with the fuel economy- it got 25 miles per gallon on mostly interstate driving in normal (not sports) mode.

Overall, the ATS is a good car. The trip was actually It does not stand up against the styling and performance of the BMW, or the Mercedes or Audi for that matter.

Last edited by bimmermeupscoty; 02-20-2013 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty View Post
Okay, so I decided not to put 400 miles on my new 328i the second day I owned it. I rented a car, and I lucked into renting a Cadillac ATS 2.0T with 14 miles. So, here are my impressions of the ATS:

I had considered the ATS when I was shopping for a new car. And test drove it before I looked at the 328i. After I test drove the ATS, I was impressed. But of course, I knew it was not in the same league as the BMW when I got in the 328i for a test drive.

Anyway, I had a good chance to put the ATS through some paces (400 mile one-day trip). Overall, I remain impressed with the Cadillac. It is in my opinion that the ATS may be the best driving Cadillac made to date. Here are the positives and negatives I took note of during my drive:
Positives:
• Ride was smooth. It provided a comfortable ride, yet still retained a good feel for the road.
• Steering was excellent. Responsive. The car handled corners well.
• Engine exhibited good acceleration, and gave me plenty of power when I asked for it.
• The technology in the car (rental did not have nav) worked well. My phone paired effortlessly, and contacts appeared quickly. It very easy to make and receive calls. Bluetooth mic and speaker performed well.
• Interior materials seemed very high quality
• I liked the instrument panel’s information display. It has three rectangular areas next to each other that the driver can elect to display info from a long list. So you can pick three items to constantly display (easily cycle through the others from any of the three areas).

Negatives:
• I witnessed firsthand the criticisms of the transmission. It was clunky, seemed to shift at awkward times and there were noticeable pauses when shifting from first to second.
• Interior styling was too busy. It struck me as too ambitious, trying to impress to hard and things seem cluttered. Too many colors and design patterns.
• CUE actually worked better than I thought. While driving I was able to navigate through its many menus and choices. However, I still experienced the occasional miss hit and accidental election. I am skeptical about any touch screen system for a driver, and this one reinforced my skepticism. I also had my phone charging on a USB cable and the cable on numerous occasions brushed against the controls and changed the volume and other settings.
• I was dissappointed with the fuel economy- it got 25 miles per gallon on mostly interstate driving in normal (not sports) mode.

Overall, the ATS is a good car. The trip was actually It does not stand up against the styling and performance of the BMW, or the Mercedes or Audi for that matter.
Are you serious? Have you looked at the afterthought MMI screen in the 3? The center console? Many Magazines and Newspapers have the Cadillac beating the BMW in almost every category. I havent driven it but I gather its pretty nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Are you serious? Have you looked at the afterthought MMI screen in the 3? The center console? Many Magazines and Newspapers have the Cadillac beating the BMW in almost every category. I havent driven it but I gather its pretty nice.
Let me reiterate that I like the ATS. However, having said that, I would pick the BMW over it every time, and for that matter, I would probably pick the Mercedes C and and the Audi 4 before it too.

The driver cockpit just feels too busy, particularly compared to the 328i. The glossy black and chrome center dash and its buttons I find not as attractive as the more understated center dash of the 328i. I realize that might be a personal preference of mine and others may like it better.
Appreciate 0