E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > driving on nice mountain road

06-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
web99992002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

driving on nice mountain road

I will be driving on a nice mountain road with nice twists and turns.. I've driven on this mountain 3 times.. twice on my BMW and once on my Mustang. Both times I've driven on the BMW i didn't bother to turn off DSC. This time around I plan on turning it off but I'm not that confident yet. Would you recommend it? Will the drive be more fun with it turned off? Its one lane each. One going up then one going back. Lanes are fairly wide, probably will fit 1 and a half 3 series in terms of width.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

if your in a 328 you can turn it off all you want, ur not going to lose control. in a 335i a whole other story. but why not just turn it off halfway and be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
web99992002
Private First Class
Rep

yes i plan on turning it off halfway, when going back so I can be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

How does one turn off DSC halfway?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
web99992002
Private First Class
Rep

sorry! what i meant was half way. when going back down the mountain
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
if your in a 328 you can turn it off all you want, ur not going to lose control. in a 335i a whole other story. but why not just turn it off halfway and be on the safe side.

You can most definitely eat it in a 328i. You 335i guys make it seem like the 328i is powered by a lawnmower engine. Even so, there are many ways to lose control other than traction loss from raw power.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall834 View Post
How does one turn off DSC halfway?
what i mean by halfway is limited.. not completley off.. instead of holding it, pressing it once..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post

You can most definitely eat it in a 328i. You 335i guys make it seem like the 328i is powered by a lawnmower engine. Even so, there are many ways to lose control other than traction loss from raw power.
hahaha i know im jus messin!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
What road?

I did the snake in my 335is, and I left traction completely on. I still managed to fishtail on a turn. Nothing horrible, and I easily regained control, but I personally want to be more confident with the power at my feet when on a road like that. I'm driving with the traction off (not all the way, just pushing once) all the time now. Seeing how it reacts to sharp turns on the road in high revs and normal revs. It's tough to make the car want to slip, even with traction off, unless you are really trying
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

OP...

I would consider a few things.

1. You mention you are not confident. I would certainly keep it on in that case.

2. The DSC in our cars is fairly un-intrusive other than traction issues coming out of corners where it seems more proactive. I drive very hard on twisty mountain roads that I know SUPER well...I leave it on, but it has only intervened twice. Once, I didn't need it, the other time, I probably did. So to me it's an insurance policy but it's my job to keep the car within its mechanical limits, and when I get that right, DSC leaves me alone.
3. Drives are always more fun when you and the car come back as they left. If you spend enough time of car forums, you will find enough examples of driver's who have eaten the off-ramps because they wanted to be heroic without tech.

So...what I'm saying...is that, in my opinion, if you are doing it right, DSC on or off won't make a difference because the DSC won't intervene. If you are doing it wrong on a mountain road, you probably need te DSC to help out. And finally, DSC doesn't mean you can't crash!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
OP...

I would consider a few things.

1. You mention you are not confident. I would certainly keep it on in that case.

2. The DSC in our cars is fairly un-intrusive other than traction issues coming out of corners where it seems more proactive. I drive very hard on twisty mountain roads that I know SUPER well...I leave it on, but it has only intervened twice. Once, I didn't need it, the other time, I probably did. So to me it's an insurance policy but it's my job to keep the car within its mechanical limits, and when I get that right, DSC leaves me alone.
3. Drives are always more fun when you and the car come back as they left. If you spend enough time of car forums, you will find enough examples of driver's who have eaten the off-ramps because they wanted to be heroic without tech.

So...what I'm saying...is that, in my opinion, if you are doing it right, DSC on or off won't make a difference because the DSC won't intervene. If you are doing it wrong on a mountain road, you probably need te DSC to help out. And finally, DSC doesn't mean you can't crash!
Just wondering how intrusive DSC is in this case. Is it possible that when the car tries to correct your mistake, it's almost too much? I remember in my Infiniti before my BMW, I took a corner too fast with too high revs. Traction was on and I still fish-tailed. I probably would have been able to recover fine, but the car tried to correct me and pushed the other way and I ended up loosing control. I would obviously never push my car with other drivers around, so there was nobody else on the street and I got back in control pretty quickly, but it was definitely a scare.

I've yet to encounter this with my BMW and actually barely see a difference between DSC on vs off. (and find that the handling is hundreds of times better than my G37 sedan was; I couldn't do half the things my car is capable of doing without slipping and/or killing myself in the G/the car just wouldn't let me do them).
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #12
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Just wondering how intrusive DSC is in this case. Is it possible that when the car tries to correct your mistake, it's almost too much? I remember in my Infiniti before my BMW, I took a corner too fast with too high revs. Traction was on and I still fish-tailed. I probably would have been able to recover fine, but the car tried to correct me and pushed the other way and I ended up loosing control. I would obviously never push my car with other drivers around, so there was nobody else on the street and I got back in control pretty quickly, but it was definitely a scare.

I've yet to encounter this with my BMW and actually barely see a difference between DSC on vs off. (and find that the handling is hundreds of times better than my G37 sedan was; I couldn't do half the things my car is capable of doing without slipping and/or killing myself in the G/the car just wouldn't let me do them).
SaMaster....that is certainly a relevant point...how does the driver react when DSC intervenes? When ABS first came out, there were crashes when people took their foots off the pulsating brake pedals thinking there was a problem....

For me, I find DSC intervenes mostly on traction issues...however, there is an amazing combination of corners near me...the road rises, crests, then falls into a right after as it rises again into a left hander....You can really get the speeds up on this....so you have a lot of dynamics at work from braking, falling, bottoming, turning, accelerating etc. I've over-cooked this corner joyfully a few times and DSC jumped in...to me it was intuitive and without the yellow flashing light I might not have really felt it...just the slight modulation of the brakes coming through the wheel.

At any rate, a tight mountain switchback is not the place to find out what the limits of your car, DSC, or driving ability are!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #13
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
SaMaster....that is certainly a relevant point...how does the driver react when DSC intervenes? When ABS first came out, there were crashes when people took their foots off the pulsating brake pedals thinking there was a problem....

For me, I find DSC intervenes mostly on traction issues...however, there is an amazing combination of corners near me...the road rises, crests, then falls into a right after as it rises again into a left hander....You can really get the speeds up on this....so you have a lot of dynamics at work from braking, falling, bottoming, turning, accelerating etc. I've over-cooked this corner joyfully a few times and DSC jumped in...to me it was intuitive and without the yellow flashing light I might not have really felt it...just the slight modulation of the brakes coming through the wheel.

At any rate, a tight mountain switchback is not the place to find out what the limits of your car, DSC, or driving ability are!
Thanks for the info. And I definitely agree with your last point! Always be safe, and if you're worried, don't push the car to where dsc will need to intervene.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Be safe, whatever you do. We don't want to have to read about you on the home page of Bimmerpost any time soon, if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

if you are wondering how/when dsc will intervene, then leave it on.

you should be able to drive near the limit, and know when this system is going to intervene. if you are driving smoothly you can begin to slide the car and not actually have the system intervene. it is awesome in the wet. being able to drive to the limit and have slight slip angles while having a safety net is pretty awesome.

mind you, if you dive into a corner and push the front, or hammer the throttle and lighten the rear, the dsc will rudely intervene.

turning the traction control off(well, as off as you can without disabling the whole system) would be, in my opinion, a step in learning your cars limits, and learning balance.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #16
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
if you are wondering how/when dsc will intervene, then leave it on.
I agree. Find a place that is more forgiving than a mountain road to test out the limit of your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #17
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
I agree. Find a place that is more forgiving than a mountain road to test out the limit of your vehicle.
I agree, you should play around with it in an open area so you know how it reacts before turning it off. I've crashed my car up in Angeles Crest off of the 210 freeway. Pushing your car to it's limits when you're not familiar with traction control and how it reacts can make a pretty depressing night.
      06-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #18
yesyesyes
Rep
Drives: wroom!

It is a safety function that is there for a reason. i haven't found it to be that intrusive in my driving, it's quite difficult to trigger it and when you DO trigger it, you will probably need it..