Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rubbing while cornering?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

Rubbing while cornering?

Car is an E90 LCI w/Msport suspension - will not be going lower and I will not roll fenders.

Current setup is 19x9 DPE ST7's (unknown offset, believed to be around 40-42 on the rears) with 275/30/19 Sumitomo tires. I think there is probably about 15mm to flush with the fenders, so they are a little tucked.

Car had no rubbing issues whatsoever, even with passengers.

Recent change - added rear BBK with 355 rotors. Not sure if the two piece rotors push my wheels out a little, but looks to still be a bit tucked. I was going to add 12mm spacers... however when I make a hard right turn at 30 mph, I am hearing a faint "thump, thump, thump" coming from the rear (I think passenger side). After the turn, noise goes away.

This is only occurring under hard turns at speed (street to highway ramp). Normal right hand turns around residential there is nothing. There is no noise over bumps either.

If I push the wheel out flush, I would think the "thump" would get worse? Is the tire too fat or is there something else that would make that noise?

I'm not even sure what rubbing from a fat rear tire sounds like...

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by EYE4SPEED; 04-09-2012 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Just a guess, but I don't think it's your tires rubbing w/that offset and tire/wheel set-up.

Do you see a rub mark on your tire, fender or fender liner?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
twinbluE92turbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

yeah your def not rubbing with that setup. you need to be alot more aggressive to rub.
      04-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep

When to an empty parking lot. Did some hard figure eights with and without braking. Only noise comes when it is hard right turning, no braking necessary...

Took apart each corner for inspection. Nothing out of the ordinary. Finally it dawns on me to turn the wheel over. Sure enough, three red marks on the inside spokes. I'm hitting when hard cornering. When I first had it installed, I noticed that you could get maybe one or two playing cards in between the caliper and the spokes. Rotora recommended at least 2mm clearance, which I obviously don't have.

So when I am taking a hard corner, I'm just barely clipping my spokes (see pic). It does not happen on bumps or with passengers - just hard cornering.

I have been reading up that the 10mm hubcentric may not work because of the hub lip and I might need to go 12mm minimum to clear.

Any experts recommend a brand and size? I measured approximately 15mm to the fender. I want the smallest one possible that is hubcentric. I don't have to be flush, I just need to be able to clear the caliper.

Good news is that my tires don't rub and a set spacers is a lot less than new tires!

Last edited by EYE4SPEED; 04-09-2012 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep

I test fit a bunch of spacers this weekend and they all failed. I wanted hubcentric... now I need smaller than 10mm.

I will now test 3,5,7,and 8mm. Anybody know if these will be ok without the hub lip? I saw one company on flebay that said they machine hubcentric ones and show a lip - all under 10mm. I have already emailed them to confirm with actual pictures.

I'm only rubbing with big bumps using 10mm, but think that 7mm will probably do it. Is there a best brand when it comes to non-hubcentric?
      04-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

what do you mean by "failed" for the ones you've tested?

since you're barely scraping the caliper, 5mm spacers should be perfectly fine for what your'e looking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep

By failed, I mean they all still caused my car to rub on bumps. I really only need a 3mm spacer to clear my rear BBK, but want to get them a little more flush to the fender. The 12mm was just about right, but major rubbing on bumps. The 10mm had slight rubbing. I was hoping to go down to 7-8mm so I could at least flush out a little better.
      04-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

how about getting 15mm spacers and then roll your fenders? itll look better and no rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep

That would look ideal, but there are two things I refuse to do to my car:

1. Lower it. Had coilovers and springs on my other cars, fender gap is not that big of a deal to me.

2. Roll my fenders. Hard enough finding someone around here to mod, let alone roll without destroying my paint.

Gotta pull the trigger on Monday. Hopefully somebody trades me a 5mm or I'm buying yet another set.
      04-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Just keep the 10mm and add some negative camber.
Appreciate 0