E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I'm considering an E90 3 Series

05-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
RichEd223
The Show Stopper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 Honda Accord LX

I'm considering an E90 3 Series

Alright well I am 21 years old and comming from a 2005 Dodge SRT-4 w/ AGP Waste Gate set at 18PSI spike 16/15 Fall/Hold, 3" CTi Side Exit Exhaust with no cat, and one resonator and a huge list of other modifications. I sold the car because I was over FWD and realized I always will be wanting something else, something that it was not. I value reliability, cars that are not tempermental, finicky and can be driven as such: (WOT on ramps, late night road carving, pretty aggressive driving overall but not all the time, a mix of nice quiet friendly driving and some play as well). Without giving me problems, having things that are broken and need to be replaced... all in all, the Honda reliability with German credentials. I have driven a 335I and a 325i 6 Speed. Now I LOVE the look of the 3 Series sedan, I think I like it more than the Coupe in fact... something about the front clip that is just very clean and nice. I liked the handling of the 325i but it lacked in power... very much so. Overall I like the feel, the look of the 3 Series but I search for more power. And I may get one and go with a few bolt ons as well but I would love to know the cars pros and the cars cons before setting my heart on one. Can someone fill me in?
      05-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Ninel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing yet

i like your consideration!!!!
i absolutely agree that 325i lacks power (i have it i know it) but i dont think that you will be disappointed in a 335i sedan, enough power there i think.
overall, it is a great car and pleasure to drive, handling is great. the only thing i wish my 3 series would be better in is power (you mentioned it) otherwise, i love it
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

The 325i is no 328i. Get what ever floats your boat and what you can afford. Can't go wrong with either if you know how to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Oh, I forgot...Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the journey.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
cadbimmer
BeeeeYaaaaa
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

welcome! if power is what your after then the 335 but if you just want something that has decent power and still drives amazing but is a little less money get the 325 or 328.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Despite common perceptions of BMW's ...they are quite reliable. I had a m3 for 5 years and never once did I have engine trouble. A couple small things had a problem, but they were resolved under warranty - mostly things like window regulator, brake caliper, light bulbs...heh, nothing serious whatsoever.

I'm sure if you get a 335i you will enjoy it immensely. If you choose to modify it Procede will be an excellent choice. You can keep the car completely stock looking and blow your friends away with its power. As it is the car is already very powerful.

I agree about the sedan, i prefer its style to the coupe. Like others said, take a look around the forum there is a lot of useful info regarding the 335 and new 328.

Bon chance!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

335i Sedan is a good choice.

I bought a 335i Sedan for these reasons (in no particular order):
1. 4 doors are easier for passengers (they don't have to climb past me to get in) and for carrying stuff in the back seat.
2. 330i didn't have enough power for me (nice, but not enough), so when the 335i came out as a Sedan, I was in.
3. VERY comfortable for long drives and commuting.
4. Excellent performance (not just power) -- corners beautifully, accelerates nicely through curves (makes high speed merging after short onramps easy!), stops on a dime (for a Sedan).
5. I like the look (inside and out) -- it *feels* more luxurious than its competitors. Every switch, dial, etc. looks and feels "right". Personal preference rules here, but for me BMW did it well.
6. I like the size of the 3-series: big enough to hold passengers and luggage, small enough to move nicely in traffic/parking lots.

Summary: Does everything well -- others may do 1 or 2 things better, but the best all-round package I am willing to spend the money on.

9000 miles so far, no squeaks or major problems (knock on wood). BMW has historically had lower scores on reliability ratings, but worth the risk for me -- and you can read about the comparisons from others.
      05-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

I can tell you that if you're looking for a sporty luxurious ride you've come to the right car manufacturer. Compared to the asian manufacturers, BMW just does things right, imo. The quality is there that you generally don't find overall on an asian manufactured car. As far as german luxury cars go, I'd say BMW is tops in sportiness, Audi 2nd, and MB brings up the rear with more luxury and style than anything. Not to mention the 4 year/50k FULL bumper to bumper warranty that is just amazing and handy to have.

I think the culture is a lot more mature and refined compared to other auto manufacturer devotees. You're always going to meet jerks where ever you go, but it's a real great feeling to share the same driving enjoyment with so many more people than any other car manufacturer on earth has. I think that says something about a brand.

If you're a driving enthusiast you need to go with the 335i E92/E90 (coupe/sedan). There's just nothing that compares in the same price range. As well, you seem to be quite the car modding enthusiast. Get a new exhaust and Procede piggyback ECU unit. You'll be pumping out 380-400HP and giving Corvette C6's a run for their money.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Get a 335 sedan via ED. You will not regret it. In fact, you will find yourself thinking how great life is a lot more than you currently do.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
RichEd223
The Show Stopper
United_States
Rep

Well I've driven a new 335i with the paddle shifters and let me tell you I love the car however I have heard that there where some very big problems or potential problems and things of that nature in a car so expensive to repair... it scares me. I value handling, smoothness... a car that performs when asked but doesn't piss me off if I have to drive home early in the morning (2am) from a friends house or something... I remember being in my SRT-4 and with its 3" catless, mufflerless one resonator exhaust it was evil loud... it got old, when it was day time sure it was great I loved the attention and it did sound... EVIL but when I was tired or had to get up early I was SO over it. Here are a few pictures of the car before I sold it.

I had an AGP Waste Gate Actuator set at 18PSI Spike 16/15PSI fall/hold... 3" CTi Side Exit Exhaust, Maddog 72% Short throw shifter, Bwoody solid upper and lower motor mounts, mopar BOV, 20% window tint, SRT-8 style trunk badge, SRT nostril badge, CTA black housing headlights, wing delete... I miss it because now it is summer and I am driving an accord but that's what being 21 and in college gets you right? This car was good for a 13.1 1/4 mile...

05-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Reminds me of the ricer days. Route 50 near Washington DC and all the street racers.

No offense. I had a honda prelude once - very few mods.

They should have just designed a new car instead of adding things to the neon .
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

I think you won't regret getting the 335i Sedan. I know that I don't! I've only got 1,300 miles, but they've been very FUN 1,300 miles!

As for mods, consider that the N54 engine is brand new, so the aftermarket companies are still ramping up, doing R&D and finding ways to squeeze more HP/TQ out of the mill, hopefully without exceeding its structural limits! So as a few years pass, the options will increase drastically.

Right now there are just a few piggy-back tuner choices, and one or two exhaust choices for the E90. Soon to come will be more piggy-back options, exhaust options, intake options, turbo replacement/upgrades, "hard" engine part replacements (cranks, pistons, cams, etc.), clutch options, suspension options, LSDs, etc. By the time most of these things come into being in a big way, we'll be out of our warranty period, and it won't matter so much!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #13
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Some of you guys should work for the dealer or at least be in advertising. Nice comments all around!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I would advise you against the 3 series

if you're into the tight handling of that SRT-4, you're going to be downgrading a bit in handling going to an E90. If you can hold off a bit and wait for the 1 series it may be a more "fun" car.

maybe pick up a used E46 M3 instead

everyone around here will blindly say that you should buy the E90 but coming from a tuned little car like that I would bet the comparatively poor handling of the E90 would bum you out in the long run.

If you're wanting a more mature, relaxing car the E90 is great though. It's a nice car, it's NOT a fun car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
RichEd223
The Show Stopper
United_States
Rep

Well the SRT-4 contrary to popular belief is a very sharp handling car, and it makes uber power with few mods. I ran that 13.1 with a WGA and an exhaust on street tires... the AGP WGA is $160 new and the exhaust was $375 new... I put down 255whp and 302wtq... it is no prelude, the car packs a wallop... but I am over front wheel drive. I was under the impression that 3 Series where very sharp handling cars, they seemed grippy and flowing into the corners... springs can do wonders I think. I would probobly go with a 330i 6 speed, drop it with springs... some bolt ons, nice wheels and minor cosmetics like emblem and grill black outs or CF I don't know they just look SO nice and I can let go of RAW to get a better package all around. I would LOVE an E46 M3 and considering they can be had for probobly less than an E90 330i or 328i (what engine does the 328i come with by the way?)... But I hear they do not age well with aggressive driving and are VERY expensive/tempermental and finicky to own which turns me off. I want more or less a worry free driving experience that will last and take my style.

Turn ons of my last car (SRT-4):

Raw power

Sound

Handling

Viper seats are great

Nimble feeling

Turn OFFS:

FWD

Still a neon

cheap feeling though a rediculously strong powerplant and transmission

not really a "NICE" car... more like a cheap race car

comming home at 2am the raw got OLD! And often pissed me off, I wish I coulda told the car to STFU.

I want a car that blends perfectly power, handling, refinement/materials but also reliability and a car that isn't finicky, tempermental and trouble some when miles stack up. I can sacrafice some power to have a well rounded package.

I'd like to have Toyota reliability and maintinence... 14 second ish or less with bolt ons power, handling that can run with most but not all, good enough to hold it's own at a track but civilized enough to be on the street and not chattering and annoying. Styling that never gets old and a car you can run your fingers down the side and sighhh... mmm I love it. Find this for me?
      05-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #16
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichEd223 View Post
Well the SRT-4 contrary to popular belief is a very sharp handling car, and it makes uber power with few mods. I ran that 13.1 with a WGA and an exhaust on street tires... the AGP WGA is $160 new and the exhaust was $375 new... I put down 255whp and 302wtq... it is no prelude, the car packs a wallop... but I am over front wheel drive. I was under the impression that 3 Series where very sharp handling cars, they seemed grippy and flowing into the corners... springs can do wonders I think. I would probobly go with a 330i 6 speed, drop it with springs... some bolt ons, nice wheels and minor cosmetics like emblem and grill black outs or CF I don't know they just look SO nice and I can let go of RAW to get a better package all around. I would LOVE an E46 M3 and considering they can be had for probobly less than an E90 330i or 328i (what engine does the 328i come with by the way?)... But I hear they do not age well with aggressive driving and are VERY expensive/tempermental and finicky to own which turns me off. I want more or less a worry free driving experience that will last and take my style.
The prelude was overrated I think in power output @200hp :mad: . Handling was alright - nothing like the bmw's. I put a fair amount of money into that little engine (all n/a mods) camshafts, pullies and so forth (I never did anything to the outside so you'd never know it wasn't stock) anyway...still slow - all the mods should ..."should" have made it run maybe a 14.5 ...nope. You're car was far faster than this thing...for sure. I'll never modify a car's engine again...

335i is still one of the best buys out there for performance and luxury. Once I got rid of the prelude (first and last honda in my family and extended family) straight to e36 m3 and never looked back...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
If you're wanting a more mature, relaxing car the E90 is great though. It's a nice car, it's NOT a fun car.
That is a very subjective statement, and frankly, I disagree with your opinion. I would say that some E90's have less "fun factor" to them, but I think a 335i with ZSP is a very fun car.

It all depends on your frame of reference too. I doubt that Michael Schumacher thinks many cars that most of us would think are the epitome of fun, are fun cars to him.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:

if you're into the tight handling of that SRT-4, you're going to be downgrading a bit in handling going to an E90. If you can hold off a bit and wait for the 1 series it may be a more "fun" car.

everyone around here will blindly say that you should buy the E90 but coming from a tuned little car like that I would bet the comparatively poor handling of the E90 would bum you out in the long run.

I would agree with that.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #19
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:

I disagree - coming from FWD even with all those mods, the 335 w/rwd will be plenty fun. I had a 390hp FWD Eclipse and let me tell you, torque steer with that much power is not fun. The 335 is probably the right step for you esp with it's modability with the turbos. It's going to be much more expensive to do the suspension, wheels, etc but the ride is going to be much tighter and more refined. I like cars that are more stealthy and don't scream 'racer' but can put down the power when needed. The 335 is all that and very practical too. The payments for a lease and insurance will be more than the srt but in my mind it's worth it. A buy on a 45k car is going to be alot, and I don't know that you would want to own it after the warranty period, but if you change your cars every three years it would be well worth it. It's a much more mature car, not a sporty coupe, but i've had several twin turbo z's and a modded G35 and this car is a great blend of luxury and sportiness. drive it and decide...
      05-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #20
AndreTheGeek
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 Alpine White

If you get a 335i, be prepared to spend a fortune on gas.

I just can't bring myself to come home, and I end up burning half a tank of gas just ripping around town enjoying the thing.
Appreciate 0