2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rain sensor/auto-wipe problems

12-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Rain sensor/auto-wipe problems

Judging by the myriad posts on the subject, it would appear that there are several people who are experiencing problems with their auto wipe function.
As I have previously said; it really is down to keeping the windscreen as clean as possible. What may appear to be perfectly clear when looked through from inside or viewed head-on from the outside, may well assume a totally different appearance when viewed from the side.
Take a close look, whilst running your fingers over the surface, and you may well be surprised to see and feel just how much road film and dirt is well and truly stuck to the screen. In my case I used an aggressive glass cleaning and polishing compound, which initially took about 30 minutes of vigorous applying and polishing, repeated twice.
I do this every other month or so and, now that the initial build-up has been removed, it's not quite such an arduous task.
Keeping the wiper blades clean is also part of the job; I use concentrated screen wash for that.
Also remember that shampooing the car will leave a waxy residue on the screen and unless it's removed immediately after washing, it'll act as a dirt magnet.
That's really all there is to it - keep the screen clean and the auto wipe will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
I think the complaints about auto wipe refer to the latency of the wiping function, especially when it's just misting.