E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Warning: Led Angel Lights - Do Not Buy From!

11-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
xdrive330xi
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Warning: Led Angel Lights - Do Not Buy From!

Bought these LED angel lights from www.highperformancebulbs.com and installed it on a 2006 E90 330xi.

They "claim" to not throw an error message, but they do. The error message shows up when you first start your car, but goes away in a few seconds. I do not recommend them. FALSE CLAIMS!!!

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwaneywh6wa.html

AND can someone please explain to me why you need heat sinks with these LED lights? I thought LED lights don't produce any heat?

Last edited by xdrive330xi; 11-22-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Bender1012
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

You sure you didn't do anything wrong during the installation? What's the error? Upgrading AE on pre-LCI e90 is literally just a bulb swap, I don't see how it could cause any errors at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Yea I had those units in my car for over a year but one failed so I made my own.

High powered LEDs don't emit heat but they do create heat at the junction point. That heat needs to be draw away fom the die in order to maintain efficiency, light output, and color.

Low powered LEDs, run at just a few mA, will not require heatsinking. But they aren't bright enough for this application.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive330xi View Post
Bought these LED angel lights from www.highperformancebulbs.com and installed it on a 2006 E90 330xi.

They "claim" to not throw an error message, but they do. The error message shows up when you first start your car, but goes away in a few seconds. I do not recommend them. FALSE CLAIMS!!!

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwaneywh6wa.html

AND can someone please explain to me why you need heat sinks with these LED lights? I thought LED lights don't produce any heat?
OK, let's just take a second and relax here. It's a new product, so there's an omission on the website that's a commonly known fact by pretty much all enthusiasts looking to do lighting upgrades on early build E90s. The 06/07 model year cars are absolutely notorious for throwing errors on aftermarket bulbs. Some cars are worse than others. So the product's not junk, your car is clearly just very sensitive. The cheapest solution would be to get the error coded out (and then you won't get flickering either, so that's another plus), which can be done at any enthusiast shop (you live in Chicago so I'm sure you can find someone very close by), or you can do it yourself. Alternatively, you can email them back and see if they can get you another inline resistor for these angel eyes. HPB has fantastic customer service and makes great products, they'll strive to remedy the situation.

Last edited by rollinstone157; 11-22-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
OK, let's just take a second and relax here. It's a new product, so there's an omission on the website that's a commonly known fact by pretty much all enthusiasts looking to do lighting upgrades on early build E90s. The 06/07 model year cars are absolutely notorious for throwing errors on aftermarket bulbs. Some cars are worse than others. So the product's not junk, your car is clearly just very sensitive. The cheapest solution would be to get the error coded out (and then you won't get flickering either, so that's another plus), which can be done at any enthusiast shop (you live in Chicago so I'm sure you can find someone very close by), or you can do it yourself. Alternatively, you can email them back and see if they can get you another inline resistor for these angel eyes. HPB has fantastic customer service and makes great products, they'll strive to remedy the situation.
Well said. I would say with most lighting situations the 06/07 have about a 60% success rate with any company. Maybe less but the most common fix is an inline error cancelor/resistor. They have been tested error free on many members cars. Unfortunately the BMW is a picky car and are not created = over the years so you get a few stragglers that dont want to cooperate.

To the OP: There is always a fix. Please use their customer service and have them solve your problem.

However, OP, is there still an error anymore? You mentioned it turned off?

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 11-22-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: Seats and a Steering Wheel

Mine work great and error free. You should just contact HPB and see what they say. You need to do your due diligence before you start spreading a bad word for one of the most reputable lighting places.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
StylinE92
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

Every item I got from HPB works great and error free. You have the most troublesome year so its likely the cause. Slamming a company online when an item does not work ON YOUR CAR when you have the notoriously bad 06-07 year BMW does not make you look very good. These guys bend over backwards to correct any issue anyone has when possible and go above and beyond to find solutions if you ask them for help. Disrespecting them and telling people not to buy from them is not going to get you far, especially if they see this post. Not at all how to handle an issue with a vender.

Last edited by StylinE92; 11-22-2011 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
xdrive330xi
Rep

I have contacted high performance bulbs. They have not responded. Error message still shows up EVERY TIME I start my car. BUT as stated, the error message does go away after a few seconds.

This is stated on the box and website as "plug and play" also "100% OEM compatible." How is this 100% compatible if it is showing an error message?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

If the error message goes away whats the problem? You realize a bunch of people just told you its your car and its model year and that they work no problem on other cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
xdrive330xi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinE92 View Post
Every item I got from HPB works great and error free. You have the most troublesome year so its likely the cause. Slamming a company online when an item does not work ON YOUR CAR when you have the notoriously bad 06-07 year BMW does not make you look very good. These guys bend over backwards to correct any issue anyone has when possible and go above and beyond to find solutions if you ask them for help. Disrespecting them and telling people not to buy from them is not going to get you far, especially if they see this post. Not at all how to handle an issue with a vender.
I have the notoriously bad 06-07 year bmw? So why does HPBs state these bulbs are compatible with my car year then? Shouldn't it say it's only 60% compatible? All I am doing is getting the word out to other members that these bulbs are NOT 100% compatible.

This does not make me look very good? Because they bend over backwards for their customers? Why haven't I received a response back from them?

Would you be happy going through with the install and then to find out your car is throwing an error message everytime you start your car? Now I am finding out I need to take it back out and put in actual OEM bulbs. Painful.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
xdrive330xi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBimmerN54 View Post
If the error message goes away whats the problem? You realize a bunch of people just told you its your car and its model year and that they work no problem on other cars.
The error message shows up every time I start my car.

Last edited by xdrive330xi; 11-22-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
StylinE92
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I have contacted high performance bulbs. They have not responded. Error message still shows up EVERY TIME I start my car. BUT as stated, the error message does go away after a few seconds.

This is stated on the box and website as "plug and play" also "100% OEM compatible." How is this 100% compatible if it is showing an error message?
So you went and posted an ignorant post like this before they even had a chance to get back to you?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Please read. Or do I need to say again the error message shows up every time I start my car?
And then it goes away.... How long did you give the company to solve the problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
e30rus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Please read. Or do I need to say again the error message shows up every time I start my car?
xdrive you are the error! and i wish you would go away just like the error code !

bashing HPB on here right after you send them an email asking for help. if you actually waited for hpb to respond you would have seen that there more then willing to help and have a great rep for helping customers ....

Seriously your a troll and a half!

Last edited by e30rus; 11-22-2011 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
xdrive330xi
Rep

Still waiting for an email. No response still. How long am I suppose to wait?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

If I was in the business I would atleast hope a customer gave me 24-48 hrs to rectify the situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
StylinE92
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Still waiting for an email. No response still. How long am I suppose to wait?
I'm sure you are their only customer, and they have no one elses emails to answer, orders to process, phones to answer etc, etc, etc. They don't only cater to the BMW market like the venders here. I have their products in my weekend war waggon too (Hummer H1), got a set of PIAAs on the grill, interior LEDs and HIDs. They even hooked up my girlfriends Mustang GT with HIDs and interior LEDs.

Everyone here is spoiled having companies that answer emails and PMs within minutes. It's nice but I seriously think you need to check yourself bro. Chillax and I am sure they will get back to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
xdrive330xi
Rep

I agree 100%. Well said. Waiting for a refund from HPBs. Another vendor has taken the liberty to help me. I have ordered a different set of LED lights from that vendor which cost more, but you get what you paid for. These forums get attention. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #19
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

I'd imagine you would need to ship them back before you get a refund.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
I agree 100%. Well said. Waiting for a refund from HPBs. Another vendor has taken the liberty to help me. I have ordered a different set of LED lights from that vendor which cost more, but you get what you paid for. These forums get attention. I love it.
That was a pretty embarrassing way to deal with the situation. You gave them no time to try and help you. Literally, it's been twelve hours.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #21
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
That was a pretty embarrassing way to deal with the situation. You gave them no time to try and help you. Literally, it's been twelve hours.
OP is Low class

Not even a full day to resolve an issue. Some people never cease to amaze me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #22
Mr_PharmD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBimmerN54 View Post
OP is Low class

Not even a full day to resolve an issue. Some people never cease to amaze me.
I have to agree...give the company some time since they aren't on the web and emails 24/7 just to serve ure needs.

Also if the code goes away afterward then what's the big deal? I would be more pissed if it didn't. Does the AE look good?

I noticed my LED turning signals would blink for a few sec at start up and then go away...this was never disclosed when I purchased it but it's not a big issue since it was only for a few sec and they look great when I used my blinkers.
Appreciate 0