E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > CF wrap and clear coated?

10-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

CF wrap and clear coated?

I tried to search but couldnt find anyone who has done this. I want to CF wrap some parts of the interior and maybe the exterior but I want it to be shiny. Has anyone used the vinyl wrap and then clear coated it? I havent seen the wrap in person yet. Only online. Is the 3M wrap a smooth surface? Just wondering if it would actually work.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
SoCal BimMn'
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: LCI AW F80 ///M3

I doubt it would come out the way you imagine it. Because when carbon fiber hoods and trunks and whatever else carbon fiber with a shiney finish is made it's due to a gel coat and not your regular clear coat you have sprayed over paint. Or any clear coat out of a spray can for that matter. Hope this helps.

BTW 3M carbon has a texture to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Won't work since the surface isnt smooth.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Hold on, it might be possible. I would worry about cracking but if the wrap is done tight and kept thin enough, many layers of clear coat would actually work. You don't need a smooth surface for clear coat paint. In fact, a rough surface would help with adhesion.

I'd use an adhesion promoter on top of the CF wrap (surface texture likely a polymer base so you'll need it or the clear won't stick), and then I'd go with at least 5 very thin coats of clear coat. If it's still a bit rough, give it time to cure and then polish it down.

Remember the CF wrap is imitation CF, not the real stuff. Real CF parts are epoxy coated though if I'm not mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
wchoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Hold on, it might be possible. I would worry about cracking but if the wrap is done tight and kept thin enough, many layers of clear coat would actually work. You don't need a smooth surface for clear coat paint. In fact, a rough surface would help with adhesion.

I'd use an adhesion promoter on top of the CF wrap (surface texture likely a polymer base so you'll need it or the clear won't stick), and then I'd go with at least 5 very thin coats of clear coat. If it's still a bit rough, give it time to cure and then polish it down.

Remember the CF wrap is imitation CF, not the real stuff. Real CF parts are epoxy coated though if I'm not mistaken.
you are right this should work. real cf parts have an epoxy coating and thats what gives it its strength.

for OP : you can wrap your parts then spray with clear coat a couple times then sand the bumps down and make it a nice even finish repeat process several times and once theres a nice thick layer of clear that will give it the depth you want sand it to make it nice and smooth then hit it with a clear.

now for people who are saying sanding is not going to make it glossy after sanding if you hit it with another coat of clear itll clear everything right up. hope this helps. keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Thanks for the tips. I will have a test piece I can try it on. It will arrive hopefully sometime this week and I'll report back on if it works out right.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
BimmerRob
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F36 435i xDrive

not sure if this helps much, but PY speed does offer glossy fabric:
http://www.pyspeed.com/Carbon-Fiber-...-p/rd-8001.htm

2010 e92 Mojave Metallic - farewell old friend /2013
2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Sparkling Brown | Cocaine White interior | JB4 | BMS Intake | Wagner Intercooler Evo I | VRSF Downpipes | ER Chargepipes
Appreciate 0