E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > SmartTop - NEW AND IMPROVED !!!

03-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

SmartTop - NEW AND IMPROVED !!!

I have been dealing with the guys over at Mods4Cars for a while now to see if they can implement several improvements on the SmartTop that I wanted. The new 2.0 firmware was released on those today.

Just when you thought that this product could not get any better - IT DOES !!!

Many people - including myself - thought that the center console switch to work the windows was inverted from the way it should be. This new version gives you the option of changing that switch if you want to.

One of the features that I wanted to improve the car was based on the fact that BMW only gives you the choice to unlock the driver's door OR all of the doors. I saw this as a serious safety flaw of the car. I wanted to unlock my door only all of the time except when I had a passenger that I WANTED to unlock the door for. So now I can Unlock the driver's door OR all the doors when I want to and if I want to without changing the setting in the Idrive.

I have heard some of you complain that the windows would roll down if you had your key in your pocket or purse if you were not there by pressing the remote by mistake. There is now a feature in the SmartTop that allows you to disable that function on your car if you choose.

Additionally, much time and effort has been put into looking at the automatic folding mirrors to make sure that they function properly all of the time. Many improvements have been made to this part of the system.

One of the additional features that I wanted was to be able to use BOTH the SmartTop AND the RemoteKey on the same car. This has now been implmented as well. The reason I wanted both was that the RemoteKey had the alarm simulator on it that was previously only available to the sedan and coupe customers. This feature enables the clown nose - even if your car is not prewired for the alarm - and also gives you the chirp of the alarm when you lock and unlock the car.

Long story short. If you have the SmartTop already I highly suggest downloading the current version. If you don't have it I would highly suggest getting it. It was the best mod I ever did. It makes the car act exactly like BMW should have designed it in the first place. The guys over at Mods4Cars have provided impeccable customer service and been willing to listen and implement every idea that I suggested.

Last edited by Kevin Harney; 03-04-2010 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Do you have to use two fobs?
      03-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

I am not really sure of your question but it works with the factory fobs. You can use one or two and they function the same except they have more features. Does that answer your question ? Also totally works with Comfort Access as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Sweet! I guess they won't be implementing the alarm simulator in the SmartTop module since the RemoteKey module from what I understand needs to be installed in the glovebox area and tap into some ECU wire, right? That would have been really sweet if SmartTop itself could have emulated the alarm too.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

Well that is partially correct. The RemoteKey does install in the glovebox and the SmartTop installs in the back of the car. Both could be integrated into the SmartTop but then there would be long wires to run to the front of the car so it is easier to install both instead. None of the RemoteKey taps into the ECU but you do have to take out the ECU to feed the wires through the firewall by the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Do you have to use two fobs?
OH now i get what you were asking. No, it works with the factory fobs. There is no need for a second fob for the SmartTop.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Sweet! I guess they won't be implementing the alarm simulator in the SmartTop module since the RemoteKey module from what I understand needs to be installed in the glovebox area and tap into some ECU wire, right? That would have been really sweet if SmartTop itself could have emulated the alarm too.
Yeah I was mad because I ordered the alarm on the car and it was missed on the paperwork and came without it. Dealer said they would just add it when it arrived but then turned out that it was not prewired and they could not add it. AAAAARRRGGG So now I at least want to get the simulator.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
DigitalDawn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 E93

Now if there was a way for the SmartTop folks to fix the valet/trunk issue I would buy it in a second.

Would love a way to lock both the top and trunk so the valet couldn't open them.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

Actually that would probably be possible. BUT there is still the pass thru from the back seat that is not lockable. So even with it they could still get in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
DigitalDawn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 E93

Do all E93's have the pass-thru? I never ordered that option with my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
zamba0321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 328i convertible

For the Remotekey install, theres no need to remove the ECU and such, waay to much work, I routed the piezo buzzer via the drivers side footwell, theres a rubber boot through the firewall that you can punch through and you're done.

Lot of duplicate functions between Remotekey and smarttop, but operating the top while at slow speed or the one-touch is a nice to have features for the vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Harney View Post
Well that is partially correct. The RemoteKey does install in the glovebox and the SmartTop installs in the back of the car. Both could be integrated into the SmartTop but then there would be long wires to run to the front of the car so it is easier to install both instead. None of the RemoteKey taps into the ECU but you do have to take out the ECU to feed the wires through the firewall by the glovebox.
09 328i Blue water E93 | M-Sport | Step | Prem | Nav | ipod | Lux H8 | BMS PBX | Remotekey+ | MFD scoops | LED turn signals and sidemarkers | MTEC Fogs | Black BMW performance grills | LCI Paddle shifters
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
KL07RPH
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamba0321 View Post
For the Remotekey install, theres no need to remove the ECU and such, waay to much work, I routed the piezo buzzer via the drivers side footwell, theres a rubber boot through the firewall that you can punch through and you're done.

Lot of duplicate functions between Remotekey and smarttop, but operating the top while at slow speed or the one-touch is a nice to have features for the vert

How did you route the wiring from the lower glovebox to the driver's footwell? I don't like the idea of tinkering w/ the DME so I'm wanting to go your approach.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
zamba0321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 328i convertible

You can easily route the wire from glovebox to drivers side footwell area.
Remove the drivers side footwell cover and just pass the wire from passengers side to drivers side behind the center area. I then attached it to some other wires so that it's not loose. Then you can punch a hole in the rubber boot to go into the engine area. To me much easier then removing the ECU box.

Some more info here
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post4946564

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07RPH View Post
How did you route the wiring from the lower glovebox to the driver's footwell? I don't like the idea of tinkering w/ the DME so I'm wanting to go your approach.
09 328i Blue water E93 | M-Sport | Step | Prem | Nav | ipod | Lux H8 | BMS PBX | Remotekey+ | MFD scoops | LED turn signals and sidemarkers | MTEC Fogs | Black BMW performance grills | LCI Paddle shifters
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Exclamation

Quote:
I have been dealing with the guys over at Mods4Cars for a while now to see if they can implement several improvements on the SmartTop that I wanted. The new 2.0 firmware was released on those today.

Just when you thought that this product could not get any better - IT DOES !!!

Many people - including myself - thought that the center console switch to work the windows was inverted from the way it should be. This new version gives you the option of changing that switch if you want to.

One of the features that I wanted to improve the car was based on the fact that BMW only gives you the choice to unlock the driver's door OR all of the doors. I saw this as a serious safety flaw of the car. I wanted to unlock my door only all of the time except when I had a passenger that I WANTED to unlock the door for. So now I can Unlock the driver's door OR all the doors when I want to and if I want to without changing the setting in the Idrive.

I have heard some of you complain that the windows would roll down if you had your key in your pocket or purse if you were not there by pressing the remote by mistake. There is now a feature in the SmartTop that allows you to disable that function on your car if you choose.

Additionally, much time and effort has been put into looking at the automatic folding mirrors to make sure that they function properly all of the time. Many improvements have been made to this part of the system.

One of the additional features that I wanted was to be able to use BOTH the SmartTop AND the RemoteKey on the same car. This has now been implmented as well. The reason I wanted both was that the RemoteKey had the alarm simulator on it that was previously only available to the sedan and coupe customers. This feature enables the clown nose - even if your car is not prewired for the alarm - and also gives you the chirp of the alarm when you lock and unlock the car.

Long story short. If you have the SmartTop already I highly suggest downloading the current version. If you don't have it I would highly suggest getting it. It was the best mod I ever did. It makes the car act exactly like BMW should have designed it in the first place. The guys over at Mods4Cars have provided impeccable customer service and been willing to listen and implement every idea that I suggested.
Do you have the contact info (i.e. phone number and e-mail) to who I can speak to at Mods4Cars ?

I've had my SmartTop now for almost a year. the MOD and IMO it's a must for Vert owners and disappointments me that most of the features it provides BMW didn't incorporate as part of their Convenience Access option. So even Vert owners with CA I would highly recommend it.

However after I've updated to Ver 2.0 from 1.35 about 2 months ago I started to experience random weird electrical anomalies. Would happen on average once every two weeks. Dash lighting up like a X-Mas tree with different warning messages and alerts for service. Plus wipers would turn on and not being able to turn them off.

The only way I was able to get car back to normal is by turning it off, put SmarTop into by-pass mode (turn off) let ECU go to "sleep" after 10+ min. Start the car and everything would go back to normal.

After turning SmarTop ON the problem would come back in 1+ weeks and I have to go through the whole process again, which is certainly PITA and very annoying. Also you would get bunch of codes logged by ECU so thankfully I have a BT scan tool to clear them, otherwise it would be "fun" next time I have to bring car to dealership for regular service.

Tried to send an email to Tech Support for assistance but you need a fckn serial number in order to send it to Tech Support....., which I didn't write down and I certainly don't won't to go through trouble spending 1+ hours dissembling/assembling my rear sit just to get at the serial number. Mods4Cars.com website doesn't provide you with phone numbers or other means to contact them, which is also pretty disappointing.

I've put my SmarTop into by-pass over two weeks ago and the problem hasn't surfaced so far, so my suspension the Ver 2.0 software is causing this anomalies or my module has gone wonky.

I really hate not having my SmarTop ON.... Having it turned off really reminds me how much I that gizmo and one of the best MODs for a Vert...

So any help you can provide to put me in contact with folks at Mods4Cars to help me resolve my issue would be greatly appreciated.

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
I've read your comment above a few times now, and it still confuses me. Which center console switch to work the windows? The only center console switch I'm aware of is for the roof, and you pull it to open the roof, and push it to close, which to me seems the logical way since that's the direction of the roof travel (I think you pull roof back, therefore, pull back on button).

The button on the driver's door that controls all 4 windows also I think works logically, just like the other 4 individual window buttons: push and they go down, pull, they come up.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
After updating firmware to Ver 2.02 over three weeks ago seems to fix my issue

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0