E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > After a couple years, looking again at a 335i (DD and occasional track car)

11-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
GunKata
Something, Something, Something, Dark Side...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi A3 AWD DSG K04'd

After a couple years, looking again at a 335i (DD and occasional track car)

Well, a few years ago I was looking at a C6 vs the 335i and a few other options. I ended up with the C6 - for about year, then got into a new STI ( I am a pretty big Subaru fan), and now, have been looking at the 335i yet again

I have found what looks to be a great used sedan version, 6spd manual, sport package, comfort access, and an aftermarket built in radar detector, with 38K on the clock, for for $26,900. The dealer says its not certified, yet their ads on their site state it is A few quick questions, I was hoping you guys can answer for me before I check this car out soon:

1. It sounds like an extended warranty is a good idea, how much do they typically run and will this only cover repairs, not the BMW maintenance that comes in the first 50K, right?

2. This is a 11/06 production date, so no oil cooler. I track about 4-5x a summer, so would I need to ask BMW to retrofit one or is it too late to have that done. What aftermarket options are out there for this?

3. As related above, how have the 335i's been holding up on the track?

4. Is the fuel pump issue "resolved" or are guys continuing to have issues and BMW "continues" to replace them?

5. Mods - Vishnu and Procede, if I recall correctly, are some of the main companies producing chips/ecu upgrades. How much are these running, and how much is a hi-flow catted downpipe and one of these running now adays? I believe you guys were getting great returns on these mods.

6. Anything else I should be on the lookout for /aware of?

7. Oil changes - can they be done outside the dealer? I heard this was an issue. how much does an oil change cost at the dealer out of the maintenance program?

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be making this happen, been looking forward to finally getting into a BMW - hopefully, it will be fairly reliable, as I love how smooth and together bimmers feel.

John
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I'll take a stab at some of your questions:

1) When I bought I was told to CPO a car was about $1600 and then it was only warranty on major components with a $50 deductible. There is an extended service plan too but that was expensive.

2) If it had Sport and manual it should have the cooler, check the right front fender well, only sport with auto was left out early. Retrofit was only available for original owners, it'll cost you about 2K for aftermarket with all parts and install. If you can DIY there is some significant savings on that cost.

3) no clue don't track mine, and don't believe much of the banter I hear without seeing it myself. The few I have seen at car control clinics and such seem fine but they aren't driven that hard for that long.

4) HPFP lives on, no permanent fix as of yet however there are rumors of an aftermarket solution (those rumors have persisted for about a year I believe)

5)Yes those are the players in the piggy tune market, GIAC has recently brought a flash to market and is planning on releasing a stage two flash that would help if you went tune, intake, FMIC and DP's (theres rep in the VAG market place is outstanding). Add FMIC to your list if you plan to track due to high IAT's and heatsoak in these cars. Prices can be found on the forums here and often can get the FMIC and DP's used.

6) Who knows, same as all other FI cars really

7) Fiction, you car change doing DIY or an independent. I've never paid the dealer to do it, my indy charges $130 for everything and you can get the DIY kit from Tischer (getbmwparts.com) for $62 shipped. I DIY myslef every 5K miles (actually I have my 18 y/o son do it for $20 he's way more flexible than pops is)

Hope that helps. I too am a big Suby fan, had 3 of them. If you plan to mod and drive them as hard as some of the Sti's you see I'm really sure how these will hold up in comparison as the Sti's are pretty bullet proof within reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

From what I've read on this forum for the past 3/4 of a year or so, the 335 is not a car you want to track very often.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
GunKata
United_States
Rep

Thanks, guys, appreciate the feedback.

So, even the early models that were stick, had the oil cooler with the sport package, it was just the autos/paddle shift cars that didn't - I did not know that. I will look for it when I go see the car in person.

Also, for $1600 or what have you, they will "convert" / make the car a CPO car? thats not too bad I guess. How long is that good for?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
1. It sounds like an extended warranty is a good idea, how much do they typically run and will this only cover repairs, not the BMW maintenance that comes in the first 50K, right?
If you have any issues that cost any meaningful amount of money, the warranty will be worthless after you put in an aftermarket oil cooler or whatever other engine mods.

You'll have a lot of taking off to do to un-track-prep your car before going to the dealer.

You can get it 'just in case', but I have mixed feelings about it.

Quote:
2. This is a 11/06 production date, so no oil cooler. I track about 4-5x a summer, so would I need to ask BMW to retrofit one or is it too late to have that done. What aftermarket options are out there for this?
AR design has a nice drop-in upgrade, runs around $1100, sits in front grille.

VK has an upgrade too, runs around $1500, sits in wheel well.

Quote:
Post in the track section of this forum.

Quote:
4. Is the fuel pump issue "resolved" or are guys continuing to have issues and BMW "continues" to replace them?
Not Resolved.
CP-E has an upgraded pump in the works.

Quote:
5. Mods - Vishnu and Procede, if I recall correctly, are some of the main companies producing chips/ecu upgrades. How much are these running, and how much is a hi-flow catted downpipe and one of these running now adays? I believe you guys were getting great returns on these mods.
Two most popular are :
Procede
JuiceBox

catted DPs new are around $1000
FMIC is around $800
Get an intake and DVs too.

Quote:
Ask yourself why you would track a 335 car when you have an sti, and had a C6.

Quote:
7. Oil changes - can they be done outside the dealer? I heard this was an issue. how much does an oil change cost at the dealer out of the maintenance program?
Dealer doesn't know if you changed your oil.
Why wouldn't you change your own oil? It takes under 30 minutes, and you can put 'the good stuff' in.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
GunKata
United_States
Rep

scheherazade - all good points.

I thought it would be ok to track, but have been hearing things here and there, thats all. If I were to get one, maybe I'd stick to indoor racing/karting instead!

Agreed and understood on mods vs warranty. That being said, are guys with daily driving and spirited driving, experiencing any engine issues outside of the fuel pump? I wouldn't mind leaving it stock with an extended warranty, if I knew they would cover any big issues and I could still get on the car here and there on the road - I'd leave it unmodded and give up tracking for the time being - Been considering a used S2K in a few years (very cheap now).

As for the oil, I had just remembered seeing in the early release of the car that you "had to" take it to the dealer, but it sounds like that is obviously not the case - very good.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
MRQturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 91 MR2 turbo....07 335i...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
From what I've read on this forum for the past 3/4 of a year or so, the 335 is not a car you want to track very often.
why is that??...i love tracking mine..its had tons of track days...no problems what so ever.....its like any other car..you got to pay to play....i bought the car..and sure as hell am going to enjoy it and drive it like it was meant to be....testing its limits on the track makes the car 100 times more enjoyable...
      11-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Well, a few years ago I was looking at a C6 vs the 335i and a few other options. I ended up with the C6 - for about year, then got into a new STI ( I am a pretty big Subaru fan), and now, have been looking at the 335i yet again

I have found what looks to be a great used sedan version, 6spd manual, sport package, comfort access, and an aftermarket built in radar detector, with 38K on the clock, for for $26,900. The dealer says its not certified, yet their ads on their site state it is A few quick questions, I was hoping you guys can answer for me before I check this car out soon:

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be making this happen, been looking forward to finally getting into a BMW - hopefully, it will be fairly reliable, as I love how smooth and together bimmers feel.

John
John, you live close to me. Buy the car, so that I can have a fellow 335I to play with at the track!

1. Extended warranties are all a rip off in my opinion. Don't waste your money. Instead save up for maintenance

2. I track mine without an oil cooler. BMW WON'T retrofit one for you. Don't even bother. Aftermarket ones are equally as outrageously expensive and the labour will still pose cost. My advise, is use an oil that resists high temps. I'm going to experiment with Elf 10W 50! with an oil cooler, you can take a couple more laps than normal, but unless you put your wallet into the car, the other fluids will get super hot as well, so its better to have fresh fluids, before a track meet

3. My 335I has been fine on the track

4. I haven't had any fuel pump issues. My fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner

5. If your going to add mods, get the oil cooler. But with mods, your turbos won't last, so save up for upgrades

6. Nothing I can think of

7. I guy my oil online, and a local shop that does VW's changes it for me for $20. Total cost: $80.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
GunKata
United_States
Rep

hey! very cool, turkey! yeah, I'm very close to doing this, but still have some reservations at this point.. apparently, the car is coming with ASA rims and blizzaks instead of what was pictured.. while good for the snowy winter ahead, I will still have to buy some nicer rims now for the summer - and tires.

I do not think it has the sport package. I only track 4-5 days a year, but who knows, would have to put a bigger emphasis than ever on fresh fluids, etc.

I drove the 335i and was pretty impressed with the shifting, and the steering feel was decent. Of note, the aforementioned ASA rims and blizzaks seemed to create maybe a little bit of shimmying - not sure if they need to be balanced or what, but it was a slight concern that I told the dealer I would want fixed prior to purchase.

I have to really sleep on this and see whats up.. I love the Subie, but would really like something more cush for the every day - the other 360 days out of the year. If I go through with it, my payment only goes up about $50, total loan is probably going to be under $10K (had a lot of equity in the STI - from the vette), and I can probably sell about $3K in parts from the STI as well.

We'll see... tough decision!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
GunKata
United_States
Rep

oh, some random questions -

can you get angel eyes put in the headlights on an E90?

What are popular/good priced wheel options?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
I used to track my 335 m sport once a month when i had the time. the only issue i had were the RFTs heating up and getting slippery.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
GunKata
United_States
Rep

I think I will wait it out, at least till spring.. try getting a quieter exhaust on the STI and dialing it back a little to be a better daily driver, then we'll see how things are going. I told the dealer to refund my $100 deposit and just forget it - too many sketchy things with the car.
Appreciate 0