E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Questions about Manually Entering and Transfering Address Book/Contacts

07-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
drivecar
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Questions about Manually Entering and Transfering Address Book/Contacts

I am trying out the factory bluetooth in a loaner car and I was able to pair my Motorola Q9C and use it, but the contacts didn't transfer.
I made a couple of manual voice tags and they work, but there is no text display of the name if all you do is record a voice tag.
I assume maybe my phone isn't compatible with contacts transfer and I would need to buy a new phone that is compatible.

I'm considering getting the retrofit bluetooth in my car and I'm wondering if there is any software update they can do during the install that will add compatability to more phones than the 2007 loaner had. Do they update the factory bluetooth software every year or every few years to add compatibility for phones that didn't exist when the car was manufactured?

Also, if my phone just isn't ever going to be compatible for automatic contact transfer, is there some way to manually type in the contact names so when you get an incoming call, the name displays instead of just the phone number?
It would be a pain to enter the contact's names manually, but better than nothing until I replace the phone.
If you get an incoming call from a number you have saved a voice tag on, will it annouce the incoming call with your voice tag?

Is there any way to use the factory bluetooth to voice dial from your phone's address book using the phone's built-in voice dialing capability?
I have a visor mount portable bluetooth speaker and it isn't necessary to transfer any contacts because I can just tap it and say "call Joe Smith" and it uses my phone's voice dialing system to call that concact.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivecar View Post
I am trying out the factory bluetooth in a loaner car and I was able to pair my Motorola Q9C and use it, but the contacts didn't transfer.
I made a couple of manual voice tags and they work, but there is no text display of the name if all you do is record a voice tag.
I assume maybe my phone isn't compatible with contacts transfer and I would need to buy a new phone that is compatible.

I'm considering getting the retrofit bluetooth in my car and I'm wondering if there is any software update they can do during the install that will add compatability to more phones than the 2007 loaner had. Do they update the factory bluetooth software every year or every few years to add compatibility for phones that didn't exist when the car was manufactured?

Also, if my phone just isn't ever going to be compatible for automatic contact transfer, is there some way to manually type in the contact names so when you get an incoming call, the name displays instead of just the phone number?
It would be a pain to enter the contact's names manually, but better than nothing until I replace the phone.
If you get an incoming call from a number you have saved a voice tag on, will it annouce the incoming call with your voice tag?

Is there any way to use the factory bluetooth to voice dial from your phone's address book using the phone's built-in voice dialing capability?
I have a visor mount portable bluetooth speaker and it isn't necessary to transfer any contacts because I can just tap it and say "call Joe Smith" and it uses my phone's voice dialing system to call that concact.
I just got my 135i today, and I paired my Sony.
It wasn't on the BMW list, but it worked anyway.

Here's something odd, My CA had to give me a "warning" before I paired my phone because it was not on the list.
Apparently, if your phone is not on the list, then YOU take the risk of damaging the BT module. He said he has never seen this happen, but if for some reason the module gets damaged and it occurred as you pair your "non approved' phone, then BMW warranty will NOT cover the part. That is shocking to me. You pay $750 the BT function, and BMW will NOT cover the part if your phone is not on their list.
That's really bad on their part. If my cell phone isn't on their list, then they should CLEARLY provide that information when ordering the car, not after you've bought it.

Anyway, back to your question. At first, I paired my phone and it was taking some time to apparently download my phone list. I too couldn't get my phone list names to show up, even afterf a number of successful "paring" attempts. I don't know if I was using the interface wrong, but when I pressed the phone icon to scroll, it would say "no entries" found. But, if I just scroll and not press the icon my phone list IS there and it works.
I don't know if what I did on my phone fixed it, I went into my phone list settings and moved my phone list to my phone off the chip memory and onto the phone memory. My phone asked if I wanted to "send" all the numbers via bluetooth. I pressed, yes. Still no list on the radio screen.
I then transfered my phone list back to my chip memory and then I pressed the scroll button for the phone list, and there were the names/numbers.

I don't know if you phone does that, but maybe that will fix it.

I had a new Motorola V3XX that would pair with my 06 A4, but no name/number list. I couldn't find any way to do it. So, I returned the Motorola as it was new, less than 30 days, and I got the Sony/Ericsson.
The Sony woked no problem, and my V3xx was on the Audi list, but NOT the software version I had, which ATT had changed soon after Audi has approved the phone. Double check the software version your Moto has, maybe you can get an updated version, and it might work then.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
drivecar
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I had to return the loaner before I had time to play with the bluetooth much more, but I tried unpairing and re-pairing it a few times and none of the contacts transferred. I even tried to bluetooth send individual contacts manually and they failed.
Address book transfer probably will just never work with a Q9C, but if there is a workaround such as typing the address book names in manually or if it announces the incoming call using your voice tags, then I could live with that until I get a new phone.
Are any of those workarounds available?
I will probably get an HTC Touch Pro later this year or next year and that phone is on the list.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivecar View Post
I had to return the loaner before I had time to play with the bluetooth much more, but I tried unpairing and re-pairing it a few times and none of the contacts transferred. I even tried to bluetooth send individual contacts manually and they failed.
Address book transfer probably will just never work with a Q9C, but if there is a workaround such as typing the address book names in manually or if it announces the incoming call using your voice tags, then I could live with that until I get a new phone.
Are any of those workarounds available?
I will probably get an HTC Touch Pro later this year or next year and that phone is on the list.
I'm sorry that I can't answer that for you at this time. I haven't looked into that aspect yet.

But, as I said, it took me a few tries and finally it worked.
Maybe you could go to the dealer and ask if you can test it out again just to see if you can get it to work. Ask one of the sales staff to help you out, they seem to know their stuff on many details of how things operate in the cars.
Since you're going to buy, you might as well know what you are buying, and they should help you out with that.

If I find out the answer to your question/s, I'll post.
Appreciate 0