BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-22-2023, 03:46 PM   #1
991 Jordan
Registered
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, NC1 NSX, AP2 S2K

Any NC1 NSX + G8X owners on here?

Hey everyone. Long time lurker of the forum but just recently joined. I bought my wife a G82 xdrive a few months back and I’ve grown to love the car. I was blown away at how the car performs in relation to my old F80 - which was pretty good itself.

I had an order for a rwd G80 Comp at a local dealer back in October of last year. I had about a week left to make changes on the build and decided to go with xdrive. When I showed up to the dealer to make the change, the sales manager talked me into buying a Brooklyn gray X3MC they had on the floor. I even got a slight discount under msrp. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Fast forward 10 months and my wife decided she didn’t like the X3MC. I went back to the dealer to see about ordering another G80. They happened to have a frozen black Kith edition G82 on the lot. After driving it we both loved it and ended up making the purchase. I was actually glad that car was on the lot, because I wasn’t planning on speccing buckets, but the buckets are some of the best I’ve ever sat in.

At the end of the day this car was for my wife. She gave me her blessing to track it and take it out on canyon drives. But at the end of the day I feel like I need one for myself. I have a 2017 NSX that has pretty much every option with the exception of the carbon ducktail wing. It’s a nice car, fun to drive, looks pretty, fast in a straight (downpipes and jb4), but I feel like I rarely drive it. It’s not that I don’t have time to drive, it’s just not as fun to drive as her M4 😂.

I told myself after buying hers that I’d give it a few months before making a decision I’d regret, such as selling the NSX and replacing it with a G80. But here we are. I live in SoCal and there are a handful of tracks within a 3-4 hour drive. I have an S2000 track car, but it’s pretty hardcore and it’s not something I’d want to drive beyond 4 hours or so.

So…what should I do? Sell the car and replace it with something I’d use much more often? Value wise, it’s probably worth what the CS and CSL’s are going for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MT6728.00
      11-22-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
TacoProfit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3CX 2016 Corvette Z06

You know what needs to be done. Bye NSX. Congrats on your new G80. Can't wait to see pics.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3568.50
      11-22-2023, 09:59 PM   #3
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

I’d prob look into the the 991 GT3, GT4, Viper, Emira or C8 Z06. I don’t think I could go from a sports car to essentially a capable but numb sedan… however I’ve only driven the NC1 and G80 over a few hours each.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:16 PM   #4
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

What is it about the M4 that really draws you in? Is it the looks, power delivery, chassis tuning, etc.

I only ask because I feel like it's pretty moot to have essentially two of the same cars at home. Variety is the spice of life, and you can extract what draws you to the M4 and maybe look into a different car that shares the same characteristics. A Porsche 992 C2S is a car that might be right up your alley given it too is an F/I 6 cylinder beast that's extremely capable and is superior to the M4 in a few facets (chief amongst which is steering feel, Porsche's EPS is miles ahead of BMW's).

However, if nothing is quite satisfying that itch then there's nothing really wrong with owning what is essentially two of the same cars.. I just personally could never do it unless we're talking about some long term collectible car that's going to appreciate in value. There's also no point in owning a car you barely use, so I'd say get rid of the NSX and go around for test drives to find something that wows you and makes you want to drive it everyday.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 07:16 AM   #5
991 Jordan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
I’d prob look into the the 991 GT3, GT4, Viper, Emira or C8 Z06. I don’t think I could go from a sports car to essentially a capable but numb sedan… however I’ve only driven the NC1 and G80 over a few hours each.
I should probably change my username but I’ve used it across multiple boards. I recently got rid of a 991.1 GT3 RS. That car was a dream car but I wanted to experience something else and the market was starting to go down for GT cars. I had no intention of keeping it forever and wanted to get out of it before losing too much money. The 991.1 4.0’s in the RS still had the finger follower issues that existed in the 991.1 GT3’s 3.8. They were just far less common. With that being said, I still had a level of annoying anxiety owning that car knowing it was out of warranty.

I have a little seat time in a 981 GT4 and that is a very fun car to drive. The complaints about the gearbox are blown out of proportion. Coincidentally the owner of the GT4 and I tell each other at least twice a week we need to buy Vipers hah. Emira - probably going to be great though I prefer the looks of an Evora. C8Z..I think I’d rather build a base C8. They’re very capable cars as well.
Appreciate 1
MT6728.00
      11-24-2023, 07:22 AM   #6
991 Jordan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
What is it about the M4 that really draws you in? Is it the looks, power delivery, chassis tuning, etc.

I only ask because I feel like it's pretty moot to have essentially two of the same cars at home. Variety is the spice of life, and you can extract what draws you to the M4 and maybe look into a different car that shares the same characteristics. A Porsche 992 C2S is a car that might be right up your alley given it too is an F/I 6 cylinder beast that's extremely capable and is superior to the M4 in a few facets (chief amongst which is steering feel, Porsche's EPS is miles ahead of BMW's).

However, if nothing is quite satisfying that itch then there's nothing really wrong with owning what is essentially two of the same cars.. I just personally could never do it unless we're talking about some long term collectible car that's going to appreciate in value. There's also no point in owning a car you barely use, so I'd say get rid of the NSX and go around for test drives to find something that wows you and makes you want to drive it everyday.
I totally agree with you that variety is the spice of life. I love the chassis tuning and ability to make stupid power for relatively cheap with the S58.

I figured by now I’d be over the thought of owning a second, but I’m not so sure. I’ve been fortunate to own / drive many enthusiast oriented cars over the last few years, and surprisingly the G82 has wowed me the most. Maybe it’s the bang for your buck factor.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 09:29 AM   #7
CoonsA
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 xDrive

I have both. I think the NSX is the most under appreciated sports car and would have a hard time getting rid of it for a G80.

The M3 is more functional but the NSX is not impractical. The NSX has a great trunk and in quiet or sport mode is a great daily driver. When it comes to sport + / track it feels much faster and more exotic.

I also really like the hybrid tech in the NSX and more are building similar systems like the 296, etc. I also like the way the NSX is hand built in a pretty serious factory in the US and it shares a decent amount with the IMSA race cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
vbb1899.50
MT6728.00
      11-24-2023, 10:12 AM   #8
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

I would not trade the NSX for a G80/82.

First, you already have a G82. I understand it's your wife's primarily, and you probably don't drive it often, but it is there for you when you want to experience it. It would be horribly redundant to have another.

Secondly though, I think the NSX is a keeper and a special car on a different level than the G80 even if you get a CS. I understand the desire to switch it up every so often. I've been through a ton of fun cars myself. But there are a couple cars I wish I had kept for the long haul instead of jumping out of when the price was right. I never owned an NSX, but that has always been on my shortest of short lists of cars I want, and if I didn't need a little more practicality (and have three kids that we plan to send off to college), I'd have bought a black one similar to the one in the post above mine. I also think that GT3 RS you had (WOW!) is another car you may regret selling.

Look, don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my G82 and intend to keep it for a long time. But if circumstances were different, I would get the NSX and keep it. Since you already have one, that's what you should do in my opinion.
MT6728.00
      11-24-2023, 10:19 AM   #9
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Beautiful looking NSX cars

Keep the NSX if money ain’t no object.

After all this if you are still selling I will buy it but I can’t afford to
Appreciate 0