BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

11-03-2023, 09:59 PM   #1
Ruffry99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Anyone having issues getting New insurance policy in California?

Tried picking up my i5 M60 today at dealership. I called my old auto insurance company and bunch of others, all require you to wait multiple days or over a week before the policy is activated. Total nightmare. Curious if anyone has heard of this? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 01:33 AM   #2
Sequence001
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 & 2024 i5

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffry99 View Post
Tried picking up my i5 M60 today at dealership. I called my old auto insurance company and bunch of others, all require you to wait multiple days or over a week before the policy is activated. Total nightmare. Curious if anyone has heard of this? Thanks
Not sure why they’re giving you the run around. Im with State Farm and picked mine up Day 1. No issues. The dealer asked for my insurance info, and I was able to drive off same day. And this was also on a Saturday at that.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 02:15 AM   #3
Ruffry99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Did you have an active policy before on another vehicle? My issue is i havent had a policy since my lease ended about 6 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 08:22 AM   #4
OciWan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 m40i

Garage List
2022 X4m40i  [10.00]
That’s the problem. Lots of insurance companies are pulling out of CA. They are being more selective.

If you have an existing policy you are automatically covered for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 07:48 AM   #5
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequence001 View Post
Not sure why they’re giving you the run around. Im with State Farm and picked mine up Day 1. No issues. The dealer asked for my insurance info, and I was able to drive off same day. And this was also on a Saturday at that.
I switched to a new homeowner's policy last year, after buying a new house that was just built. The State Farm agent was working my neighborhood(all new build houses) and came to my house to sign me up. Beside the usual questions on the forms, it asked if I had a full EV and if so, did I intend to park it inside the garage, as well what type of charger I planned to installed. At the time, I was planning to buy the Tesla Model Y and I told the agent about it. He said that I had to notify him if I did buy it and install a charger. In the end, I didn't go through with the Tesla purchase.

Is that kind of question normal? I have never owned a full EV and I still don't, not yet anyway. Come to think of it, when I was getting quotes for new homeowner's policy from other insurance companies, they didn't ask about what kind of cars I had.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 11:24 AM   #6
Sequence001
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 & 2024 i5

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
I switched to a new homeowner's policy last year, after buying a new house that was just built. The State Farm agent was working my neighborhood(all new build houses) and came to my house to sign me up. Beside the usual questions on the forms, it asked if I had a full EV and if so, did I intend to park it inside the garage, as well what type of charger I planned to installed. At the time, I was planning to buy the Tesla Model Y and I told the agent about it. He said that I had to notify him if I did buy it and install a charger. In the end, I didn't go through with the Tesla purchase.

Is that kind of question normal? I have never owned a full EV and I still don't, not yet anyway. Come to think of it, when I was getting quotes for new homeowner's policy from other insurance companies, they didn't ask about what kind of cars I had.
I didn’t get any of those questions. Just the usual, “what’s your VIN, year and Make” and that’s it. Now when I first got my policy, they asked me if I would like to add my cars to my home policy to take advantage of an umbrella discount. And that was only after I asked them about discounts. Other than that, they didn’t ask about EV’s or chargers or any of that. I have a close relationship with my agent so I can ask them if there’s any benefits or requirements to know that info for you.
Appreciate 0