F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Annoying knock/click while turning right
Extreme Powerhouse

10-30-2023, 04:33 PM   #1
zelz328i
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i BMW

Annoying knock/click while turning right

Alright I am lost here and will try to explain this to the best of my ability.

I have a 2016 328i with 19inch aftermarket rims(TSW Sebrings). The rims, (along with the correct hub centric spacers) have been on since March of this year.

About a month ago, the car started to click/knock while turning right (and only right) while accelerating. There was also a vibration and weird noise coming from the left wheel bearing since last year sometime. I decided to take the car in to have these issue fixed.

Niello BMW originally told me the clicking sound and vibration was from the wheel bearing on the left. So they decide to fix it. However, clicking/knocking is still there, BUT the vibration is not. I go back to the dealership and wait a few days just for them to tell me that the aluminum hub centric rings that I have on, are the reason for the culprit, (AFTER THEY DEEMED IT THE LEFT WHEEL BEARING PREVIOUSLY).

I took the metal hub rings off and installed plastic ones, but I still have this knock/click sound. I don’t know what to do at this point. What could this be?

Last edited by zelz328i; 10-30-2023 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Adding Video for better understanding
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 06:08 PM   #2
LuxoM3
(formerly exe36M3)
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i

Off the top of my head:

Tire is hitting something inside of the fender well... thinking this because you changed out the wheels recently and I assume tires too. The offset of the rim might be too close or too far in or out.

The reason it is only makes noises turning is the wheel is closer to something - as turning brings the wheel in closer to the body...
Acceleration then pushes the weight of the car forward enough for the wheel/tire to contact the part.

That being said, jack up the car, turn the steering wheel in the direction at issue. Look for parts of the body where the tire comes REALLY close.

Gonna say that's where you will find your issue.
      10-30-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
zelz328i
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
Off the top of my head:

Tire is hitting something inside of the fender well... thinking this because you changed out the wheels recently and I assume tires too. The offset of the rim might be too close or too far in or out.
I have had the rims on since march with no issues up until recently. If it was immediate, I would have thought the same thing. However, this problem has just shown up out of nowhere.
Appreciate 0