BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2023, 10:28 PM   #1
Stuabroad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i MSport

2019 X5 - "AUTO" Laser Lights Frustrations

I've read as much as I can on these Laser Lights, but I gotta tell you, the sensor settings and exclusion of a driver override is the worst design decision I’ve seen in a vehicle. We're technically in Fall, but here in Alberta it's Winter. This morning on the school run around 8.30am, the sun is coming up and it's almost daylight. No need for full headlights on, yet my lights were stuck on full headlight, despite the fact that depending on where you are on the road, you need your sunglasses on. Which is crazy. Yet this evening around 5pm, the light is getting pretty dull and there was light snow falling. It was that type of weather where you're thinking about putting your lights on - not for frontal coverage - but for those driving behind. Yet the Auto setting had everything turned off lol. I have the latest iDrive software, so the daytime running lights on the rear are turned off by choice. I just find the whole behaviour really stupid. I wonder if my sensors are messed up it's so obviously innaccurate. And the fact that - while driving - I as the driver cannot override the software, is ridiculous. Rant over, I’m guessing there's no coding for this. Vehicle goes out of warranty October 31st LOL.
      10-27-2023, 03:58 PM   #2
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, 2018 Q5, 2018 P100D

Alright mate?

Can't say I have the same problem as you, so I'd recommend getting the sensor checked. Maybe it's something to do with that. The auto-headlamp setting on my X5 is pretty much perfect, a bit too perfect at times I'd say. When I'm thinking - well it's getting bright out, and I look at the dash, the lights are off. And the converse is true as well! When it's getting dark out, and I look at the dash, the lights are on! Oh, and I'd absolutely recommend keeping the DRLs on the rear turned on at all times. Any reason why you'd keep them turned off?
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #3
Stuabroad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc-yyc View Post
Alright mate?

Can't say I have the same problem as you, so I'd recommend getting the sensor checked. Maybe it's something to do with that. The auto-headlamp setting on my X5 is pretty much perfect, a bit too perfect at times I'd say. When I'm thinking - well it's getting bright out, and I look at the dash, the lights are off. And the converse is true as well! When it's getting dark out, and I look at the dash, the lights are on! Oh, and I'd absolutely recommend keeping the DRLs on the rear turned on at all times. Any reason why you'd keep them turned off?
How goes it. Yeah car is going in for a service in two weeks so have asked them to add it to the list of checks. Goes out of warranty today!
      10-31-2023, 12:33 PM   #4
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I think I have half of your problem. The headlight tend to be when not needed. But I don’t remember they were never not on when needed. Overall, the car bias to turning on headlights
      10-31-2023, 04:43 PM   #5
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

IIRC my e46 when in auto headlight mode would turn on while the sun was out but low on the horizon. As I had been told it was for safety because even though you as a driver may be able to see well without headlights, drivers driving into the rising/setting sun will be better able to see your car with headlights on. I am sure where you are the Sun gets pretty blinding when low.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 04:44 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

When most auto lamps were incandescent, it may have made some sense to turn them off, but with them being LEDs, those tend to outlive the vehicle, so that argument mostly goes away. Then, you have DRL requirements and the statistical proof that running with your lights on in the day is safer and in some places a requirement, personally, I don't see why you would turn them off. There is a slight delay on turning them on in auto, and you'll see that going into say a tunnel. Driving into the sun, the sensor may not turn them on but may near dusk when going easterly.

The laser light portion of the headlamp is separate from the low or high beams, and only come on above a specified speed (about 60Km), when the high beams are already on, and when the ambient light is not too high (IOW, they won't come on in an area with lots of streetlamps - it must be fairly dark before they will come on including exceeding the speed restriction).

While it wasn't enabled on your 2019 when delivered, BMW Canada does allow the adaptive lighting to be enabled if your vehicle has the right hardware. There is a labor charge to make that happen, and with that, the high beams are almost always on when the headlights are on, and the beam gets moved around to block out others on the road so as to not blind them.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 10:29 PM   #7
Stuabroad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
When most auto lamps were incandescent, it may have made some sense to turn them off, but with them being LEDs, those tend to outlive the vehicle, so that argument mostly goes away. Then, you have DRL requirements and the statistical proof that running with your lights on in the day is safer and in some places a requirement, personally, I don't see why you would turn them off. There is a slight delay on turning them on in auto, and you'll see that going into say a tunnel. Driving into the sun, the sensor may not turn them on but may near dusk when going easterly.

The laser light portion of the headlamp is separate from the low or high beams, and only come on above a specified speed (about 60Km), when the high beams are already on, and when the ambient light is not too high (IOW, they won't come on in an area with lots of streetlamps - it must be fairly dark before they will come on including exceeding the speed restriction).

While it wasn't enabled on your 2019 when delivered, BMW Canada does allow the adaptive lighting to be enabled if your vehicle has the right hardware. There is a labor charge to make that happen, and with that, the high beams are almost always on when the headlights are on, and the beam gets moved around to block out others on the road so as to not blind them.
First i heard of any of this. Good info thanks. I don't think i need any more headlight action from what i have already lol.