BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2023, 08:57 PM   #1
FLX4M
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S4, BMW X4 M Comp

Bad Deal: Windshield Cracked Today

Driving to Orlando today..a BUG of all things, hits the windshield in the 'perfect" place...cracks it. It's a horizontal crack at my site line spreading across like it's never going to end.

I am bummed. The car has 10.7k on it. I have been through a fair amount of replacements over the years. Our cheap-Ass insurance Cos. never use OEM glass and Safelite is the "goto".

I am thinking I go to the dealer, file a Comp. claim and get it done with real, OEM glass and parts. My insurance is already big $$.

I live in FL where glass is "free"...you get what you pay for.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 11:58 PM   #2
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Are you trying to sell ur old windshield or buy a new one? You just posted in the classifieds section. And just take it to the dealer lol.
      09-14-2023, 01:32 AM   #3
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Wrong section but,South here as well where glass replacement costs $0.00 out of pocket and just had similar experience on my X3MC. Safelite offers OEM BMW windshield as long as you specify that you have a lease(even if your BMW isn't leased,you still tell them it is)and if they use a non-OEM windshield you will be responsible for providing OEM glass upon lease termination otherwise you'll be charged,so it 100% needs to be OEM w the BMW stamp on the lower left corner of the glass. Worked like a charm.

However,when the Safelite tech came and installed the new glass he damaged whichever sensor on the windshield is responsible for rain-sensing automatic wiper function at which point I didn't want Safelite touching my shit again..brought it to the dealership,they ordered the sensor and replaced it without asking any questions regarding new glass being installed or not. Got a beautiful M8 Comp loaner for the weekend as the sensor needed to be shipped from The Motherland.
Good luck to you
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 1
X3MCSTV60.50
      09-16-2023, 06:48 AM   #4
FLX4M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Are you trying to sell ur old windshield or buy a new one? You just posted in the classifieds section. And just take it to the dealer lol.
Im a moron. Didn't mean to post it in classifieds. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 06:50 AM   #5
FLX4M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post
Wrong section but,South here as well where glass replacement costs $0.00 out of pocket and just had similar experience on my X3MC. Safelite offers OEM BMW windshield as long as you specify that you have a lease(even if your BMW isn't leased,you still tell them it is)and if they use a non-OEM windshield you will be responsible for providing OEM glass upon lease termination otherwise you'll be charged,so it 100% needs to be OEM w the BMW stamp on the lower left corner of the glass. Worked like a charm.

However,when the Safelite tech came and installed the new glass he damaged whichever sensor on the windshield is responsible for rain-sensing automatic wiper function at which point I didn't want Safelite touching my shit again..brought it to the dealership,they ordered the sensor and replaced it without asking any questions regarding new glass being installed or not. Got a beautiful M8 Comp loaner for the weekend as the sensor needed to be shipped from The Motherland.
Good luck to you
We are $0.00 as well but it's a comp claim under my Insurance Co. which sucks. $1800 replaced from the dealer. INsurance will cover most of it. Nice work on the Lease deal. I don't want satellite working on my shit, either. That's why I'm scheduled at the dealer on Tuesday. Thanks so much for there advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 08:24 AM   #6
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX4M View Post
We are $0.00 as well but it's a comp claim under my Insurance Co. which sucks. $1800 replaced from the dealer. INsurance will cover most of it. Nice work on the Lease deal. I don't want satellite working on my shit, either. That's why I'm scheduled at the dealer on Tuesday. Thanks so much for there advice.
Ah ok I understand about the insurance. You made the right choice,even though it cost a lil bit out of pocket you can rest assured it was installed properly at the dealership.

I had the glass replaced at my house and when the safelite tech heard the coldstart when I backed it out the garage his eyes glassed over and he had a shit eating grin on his face...install was completed and tech said he had to take the vehicle for a brief 10min drive to confirm all systems synched or whatever I said,"great lets go for a ride" he replied he was supposed to go alone according to safelite rules,my reply to him was not a chance in hell kid lol
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 05:10 PM   #7
FLX4M
Private
Rep

So I was quoted $1800 installed by the dealer. AAA Insurance/Safelite quoted paying $1020 and $257 for recalibrating. So I'll be out about $500.

My car insurance is astronomical here in FL so I MAY pay enough to make it under $1,000. I was told that insurance companies consider $1,000 claims as "negative" against your coverage/premium. I have a 16 S4, 22 X$MC, 18 Q7 and an 18 Jeep Patriot. $4600 every 6 months. That's cheap compared to what i have quoted in the recent 6 months. Ugghh
Appreciate 0