F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M-Sport brakes on a non M-Sport 328d
Extreme Powerhouse

08-07-2023, 05:34 PM   #1
FrankieLS3
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328d, 1972 GMC Jimmy

M-Sport brakes on a non M-Sport 328d

Hi! So I do have some limited knowledge about this by looking around and asking a some local mechanics I know that specialize in BMWs, but there is still uncertainty, so I figured I’d come to the experts

I have a 2016 328d, and I want to upgrade to M-sport brakes and rotors.
From What I know I need to change out the rear carrier bearings to the ones for a 335i. After that though my question is what model do the calipers/rotors have to be taken off of to work on my 328d? Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 08:18 PM   #2
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

I just upgraded my base brakes ‘13 328 to the blue M sport brakes from ‘16 M235i. 340mm front 345mm rear. The front bolted on with no issues. For rear, I had to order a rotor from a ‘14 328i with m sport option. The internal diameter(160mm) of the rotor fits my ebrake This allowed me to keep use my of ebrake. I had to trim the rear dust to get the caliper to fit. I did not have to change the rear carrier bearings. Night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 09:40 PM   #3
FrankieLS3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven_01 View Post
I just upgraded my base brakes ‘13 328 to the blue M sport brakes from ‘16 M235i. 340mm front 345mm rear. The front bolted on with no issues. For rear, I had to order a rotor from a ‘14 328i with m sport option. The internal diamter of the rotor fits my ebrake This allowed me to keep use my of ebrake. I had to trim the rear dust to get the caliper to fit. I did not have to change the rear carrier bearings. Night and day difference.
Oh reeeeallly?! Well shit balls, that’s what’s up!
So with that in mind, if I were to buy say the M sports off of a 328i w/rotors, theoretically they would pop right on, just some Minor dust trimming?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 12:41 AM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieLS3 View Post
Hi! So I do have some limited knowledge about this by looking around and asking a some local mechanics I know that specialize in BMWs, but there is still uncertainty, so I figured I’d come to the experts

I have a 2016 328d, and I want to upgrade to M-sport brakes and rotors.
From What I know I need to change out the rear carrier bearings to the ones for a 335i. After that though my question is what model do the calipers/rotors have to be taken off of to work on my 328d? Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated!
Blue M-Sport brakes can have front 340x30 or 370x30 depending on what model car was the donor. Either will fit your car with the caveat that 370’s only fit under 18” or larger wheels.

The rear Brembo 2-piston calipers will fit your car. Your car may or may not come with the necessary larger rear dust shield. If not, simply cut off the small shield with tin snips. New larger shields can be slipped on and bolted down by first cutting out a section with tin snips. See photo.

The F3x came with two possible rear e-brakes: 160mm or 185mm. There are two versions of the 345x24 rotor with the different diameter e-brakes machined into the rotor hats. You must install the size equal to the size e-brake that came on your car from the factory. See photo for how to look it up from your VIN.

Anyone selling rear rotors just has to flip them over to measure the diameter of what essentially is a drum brake which will be either 160mm or 185mm.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 04:41 AM   #5
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Oh reeeeallly?! Well shit balls, that’s what’s up!
So with that in mind, if I were to buy say the M sports off of a 328i w/rotors, theoretically they would pop right on, just some Minor dust trimming?
Yes, it will work.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 10:32 PM   #6
FrankieLS3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Blue M-Sport brakes can have front 340x30 or 370x30 depending on what model car was the donor. Either will fit your car with the caveat that 370’s only fit under 18” or larger wheels.

The rear Brembo 2-piston calipers will fit your car. Your car may or may not come with the necessary larger rear dust shield. If not, simply cut off the small shield with tin snips. New larger shields can be slipped on and bolted down by first cutting out a section with tin snips. See photo.

The F3x came with two possible rear e-brakes: 160mm or 185mm. There are two versions of the 345x24 rotor with the different diameter e-brakes machined into the rotor hats. You must install the size equal to the size e-brake that came on your car from the factory. See photo for how to look it up from your VIN.

Anyone selling rear rotors just has to flip them over to measure the diameter of what essentially is a drum brake which will be either 160mm or 185mm.

Hope this helps.
Oh right on dude! Much appreciated!
This is super helpful.
Ok, I think I can make a run at this now
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 10:37 PM   #7
FrankieLS3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven_01 View Post
Yes, it will work.
Wicked dude
I’m gonna given it a go
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 11:22 PM   #8
FrankieLS3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Hope this helps.

Btw this was extremely informative and helpful
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 06:18 AM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Btw this was extremely informative and helpful
Glad that it helps. I’ve done several different F30 brake upgrades and I enjoy passing the information on.

A couple more things:

You must follow the BMW procedure using ISTA for bleeding the brakes to get all the air out. Video below.

https://youtu.be/o7XsCMqZXw0?si=pSu2d4167Zuu40NR

Also when you upgrade the front brakes to Brembos from a car that came from the factory with single piston, the car must be coded with e-sys (not easy like BimmerCode, etc) to change the front/rear brake bias setting. This is not difficult or time consuming for a mechanic who has done it before. Brake Coding only has to be done once. It becomes a permanent setting on the car..

Sometimes it’s easier to do the part swapping yourself but get a local BMW mechanic to do the bleeding and coding. Local shops can be found on BimmerShops website.

When changing calipers I suggest upgrading from rubber brake hoses to stainless steel. Much more solid brake pedal feel. See photos for part numbers.

I recommend Hawk 5.0 pads for Street. Best by far that I’ve ever used. See photo for part numbers.

Avoid dimpled or slotted rotors. Noisy and no significant improvement. Plain rotors are just fine and cost effective. Zimmermann are high quality. Full crossdrilled rotors are and upgrade with great bite and are superior in rain, but more expensive. StopTech full crossdrilled are excellent. Even doing full crossdrilled on just the front brakes and plain on the rear is an improvement because fronts do most of the work. Zimmermann makes full crossdrilled also but difficult to find.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0