F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > LED headlights - yellow color of low beam
Extreme Powerhouse

06-13-2023, 08:51 AM   #1
twark43
Rep
Drives: BMW

LED headlights - yellow color of low beam

I have a problem with LED headlights (not adaptive), right side of low beam glows more yellow than left side, do you know what is the problem, module or led diode ?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 07:56 PM   #2
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Can you post a photo of your headlights.

Presuming they're the actual LED headlights (not the led backlit xenon projectors) then unfortunately they're probably done in terms of repairability. The projectors have LED boards soldered directly in, unless you wanna split the lenses, strip all the internals out and try desoldering cree chips then you would be better looking for a spare on somewhere like eBay
      06-16-2023, 01:43 AM   #3
twark43
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
Can you post a photo of your headlights.

Presuming they're the actual LED headlights (not the led backlit xenon projectors) then unfortunately they're probably done in terms of repairability. The projectors have LED boards soldered directly in, unless you wanna split the lenses, strip all the internals out and try desoldering cree chips then you would be better looking for a spare on somewhere like eBay
I am thinking of replacing those LEDs marked in the picture, are they replaceable ?
The module at the lamp is not responsible for the color of the LEDs ?
This slightly yellowish light is hard to see in these photos, but when driving you can see on the road that the right side has a different light color.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 07:30 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Look up the parts at www.realoem.com
It shows what's replaceable.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 07:56 AM   #5
twark43
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Look up the parts at www.realoem.com
It shows what's replaceable.
Yes thanks i saw it,
there is only the control module, the LEDs cannot be replaced
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twark43 View Post
I am thinking of replacing those LEDs marked in the picture, are they replaceable ?
The module at the lamp is not responsible for the color of the LEDs ?
This slightly yellowish light is hard to see in these photos, but when driving you can see on the road that the right side has a different light color.
Yeah those are thermal mounted and soldered onto the projector boards. You would need to cut the lens off, source a new one, then figure out how to strip the internals out.

When I customised my icons I worked on a similar area, however I couldn't find a way of lifting out the projector. Everything appeared to have one way clips, i.e no way releasing them without drilling or cutting.

You definitely don't want to repair them assembled though. You would need a hot air soldering tool, the surrounding plastic would end up melting. It's also worth noting that the chrome inside is that plastic painted chrome stuff, it comes off on your fingers if you touch it, if you try wipe it you'll scratch it. I ended up painting any chrome to get around this issue when I opened mine.

I think for the trouble of opening the headlights, dismantling everything and then beginning to figure out the exact chip I'd just find a replacement headlight when it fails lol. Just out of curiosity have you observed the yellowing beam from different angles inside the headlight? It's not impossible for your headlight lenses to get a burn in patch, they could have even yellowed around the section the beam passes through (especially if someone's sanded or polished them before removing the uv coating).
      06-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by twark43 View Post
Yes thanks i saw it,
there is only the control module, the LEDs cannot be replaced
The LEDs are part of the module. You may be assuming that LEDs look and install like bulbs. Aftermarket LED bulbs that replace incandescent do, but those used by most car manufacturers do not. The LED elements, heat sinks and driver circuitry are all part of the module.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 08:22 AM   #8
twark43
Rep

Thank you for your answers, I'm unlikely to play with replacing the LEDs on my own. I'll check with my local led installation electrician, if he too relents and he doesnt recommend opening the headlight then I'll purchase a new headlight
Appreciate 0