bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-26-2023, 09:26 PM   #1
FunnyUsername
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Can't Set Up Digital Key

Has anyone spec'd out digital key but NOT been able to set it up? I have an iPhone 13 mini and was assured by BMW Genius that my phone should be compatible, but I don't see the option to set it up. The button just literally is not anywhere in the MyBMW app. I also confirmed that digital key is enabled with my car in case there was some kind of mix up. When I click on digital key in iDrive 8 it just says that I need to set it up through my phone.

Put off setting this up for a while because not really a priority for me but it's always annoyed me since I paid for it and haven't used it yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 01:01 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Option to set it up should be in the main car page near the bottom in the info section.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 08:17 PM   #3
FunnyUsername
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Option to set it up should be in the main car page near the bottom in the info section.
That's not an option. When I click on anything related to digital key in iDrive8 it just gives me a useless popup about making sure it is enabled on the car and having my BMW ID setup. Yes, it was setup when I drove off the dealer's lot. If you post a video of setting up digital key with iDrive8 I will believe you. Right now all the tutorials online are using MyBMW app.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 12:39 PM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyUsername View Post
That's not an option. When I click on anything related to digital key in iDrive8 it just gives me a useless popup about making sure it is enabled on the car and having my BMW ID setup. Yes, it was setup when I drove off the dealer's lot. If you post a video of setting up digital key with iDrive8 I will believe you. Right now all the tutorials online are using MyBMW app.

I set mine up as it describes here

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...DigitalKey.pdf

Remember it only works on iPhone. You can always ask your genius to assists.

BTW, I don’t really care if you believe me. I was just trying to help you.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 04:53 PM   #5
FunnyUsername
Private
Rep

Quote:
I set mine up as it describes here

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...DigitalKey.pdf

Remember it only works on iPhone. You can always ask your genius to assists.

BTW, I don’t really care if you believe me. I was just trying to help you.
I am well aware of this document. As I said I have an iPhone 13 and followed all the steps both through MyBMW setup and iDrive8 setup. Neither method is possible for me. I ask for a video because I refuse to believe there is some magic step I am missing. The instructions are very clear but my software simply has the feature disabled for some reason.

I have already asked BMW Genius for help. They gave me useless advice to work with my local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 05:27 PM   #6
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am well aware of this document. As I said I have an iPhone 13 and followed all the steps both through MyBMW setup and iDrive8 setup. Neither method is possible for me. I ask for a video because I refuse to believe there is some magic step I am missing. The instructions are very clear but my software simply has the feature disabled for some reason.

I have already asked BMW Genius for help. They gave me useless advice to work with my local dealer.
Well that last piece of useless advice I’ll give you is your best genius is actually at your dealer, not on the phone/ web chat etc. but I’m sure you’ve taken that step and it’s still someone else’s fault.
Appreciate 1
burkhacs126.00
      05-28-2023, 05:49 PM   #7
FunnyUsername
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well that last piece of useless advice I’ll give you is your best genius is actually at your dealer, not on the phone/ web chat etc. but I’m sure you’ve taken that step and it’s still someone else’s fault.
Morons work at my dealer. Their advice will be no different than what I can find online.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 02:55 AM   #8
MorendiSLO
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive g42 , AUDI TT RS

I set up mine on Android.. works like a sharm..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 04:57 PM   #9
ZeusHorkios
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:

The digital key works on my iPhone 13. I don't remember the exact steps I followed (it's been 7 months since I set it up) but the pdf looks familiar.

The only suggestion I can give is to log out of your MyBMW account in the app. Delete and re-install the app and log in to your account. Hopefully the digital key tile (as shown in the pdf) will show up. Do make sure to keep both keys in the car when you try again.

If this doesn't work, going to your dealer Genius might be your only option.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 01:58 AM   #10
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusHorkios View Post
The digital key works on my iPhone 13. I don't remember the exact steps I followed (it's been 7 months since I set it up) but the pdf looks familiar.

The only suggestion I can give is to log out of your MyBMW account in the app. Delete and re-install the app and log in to your account. Hopefully the digital key tile (as shown in the pdf) will show up. Do make sure to keep both keys in the car when you try again.

If this doesn't work, going to your dealer Genius might be your only option.
Genius’s are “morons” apparently.

I needed to relink my phone to my ID after the last SW upgrade (only needed one key in the car to do it this time). Could be the SW upgrade cleared a few things out
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:40 PM   #11
FunnyUsername
Private
Rep

Quote:
Genius’s are “morons” apparently.

I needed to relink my phone to my ID after the last SW upgrade (only needed one key in the car to do it this time). Could be the SW upgrade cleared a few things out
Yes they are morons. They sent me another customer's credit card information, accidentally added run flat tires to my build sheet (I had to point it out), and washed my car despite explicitly asking them not to. Then they had the balls to try to upsell me thousands in extended warranties.

Anyways, after a lengthy talk on the phone with these people, apparently my car has a recall out on it for the digital key. Funny that they hid this from me for 3 months.
Appreciate 0