BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-15-2023, 09:18 AM   #1
fpgg80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition

creaking noise coming from rear

what is this creaking noise im hearing from my rear when i break after rolling such as in a drive thru moving up?
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 11:48 AM   #2
ntran90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgg80 View Post
what is this creaking noise im hearing from my rear when i break after rolling such as in a drive thru moving up?
Could be your brakes or maybe rear diff...have you gotten your break-in service done already? Is there noise consistence? Or comes and goes?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 12:57 PM   #3
fpgg80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntran90 View Post
Could be your brakes or maybe rear diff...have you gotten your break-in service done already? Is there noise consistence? Or comes and goes?
i feel like its the brakes cuz it happens after i completely stop , the creak comes from the rear almost like wood creaking. I have not had my break in yet. happens mostly when i let the car roll in drive and then completely stop. doesnt happen when im driving over 20 mph and stop, only slowly like in a dirve thru, start and stop
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
ntran90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgg80 View Post
i feel like its the brakes cuz it happens after i completely stop , the creak comes from the rear almost like wood creaking. I have not had my break in yet. happens mostly when i let the car roll in drive and then completely stop. doesnt happen when im driving over 20 mph and stop, only slowly like in a dirve thru, start and stop
Unfortunately the M compound brakes are known to be noisy. There isn't really a fix for this issue besides going aftermarket.

Here's a thread of other having similar noise complaints.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1819659
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 01:42 AM   #5
shrtmwkd
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Xdrive G80

did u have a chance to fix it? i have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 02:01 AM   #6
Digital2code
Registered
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

experiencing same creaking from rear 1-2 seconds after coming to complet stop. If anyone with same issue had there car at service and diagnosed share.

Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 12:36 AM   #7
edi221
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3C

Had the same problem too, only after stopping, and sound seems to be coming from rear left. Maybe others can share how to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 08:23 PM   #8
Digital2code
Registered
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

To add additional description it feels like the break calipers compressing the rotors after a complete stop followed by brake pedal dropping further down during this creaking-popping noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 03:35 PM   #9
MasterM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition

Post a sound clip
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 06:08 AM   #10
edi221
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone has any followup regarding the noise?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:02 PM   #11
Matt417
United_States
Rep
Drives: g80 M3 comp

I’m having the same issue also. Sounds like it’s from the rear, both left and right sides lasts about 3-4 seconds only after stopping slowly . Does not happen in reverse, Car is new I have less then 200mi on it
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:11 PM   #12
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Brake harder and bed those pads better all around. I bet everyone’s babying it all at 200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:35 PM   #13
Matt417
United_States
Rep

I’ve been pretty good with bedding in the brakes properly and all that.. what’s weird is that it only started yesterday. Drove around last Sunday with some nice weather and no issues.. I did some tests today and warmed up the brakes and then tried again, still the same weird noise. No matter if I’m applying it hard or soft, and the sound is a good 2 seconds after the car is stopped. It sounds like the old school wooden clicking crank sounds of a roller coaster. Had it added as a video attached , 2 videos merged. Pulled it into the garage for the sound because it’s raining today so don’t mind that. They are the regular brakes not ceramic. Anyone have an idea of what it could be?

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/ADwbexZ...CZ3_Tn3h6hZnCP
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:49 PM   #14
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Oh, it’s after you come to a complete stop. Weird… the other poster made it seem like it’s when you riding the brakes and inching forward a bit.

The video makes it sound like it’s super chatty valves in the exhaust. Have someone shine a light into the tailpipe and see if they’re chattering after you come to a stop. If it’s not that mess with the parking brake to engage disengage it to see if it sounds similar at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:02 PM   #15
Matt417
United_States
Rep

Yep did the parking brake earlier, Engaged and disengaged it couple of times, changed from sport then to efficient, Tried it from cold and then drove a bit to warm the brakes up, etc.
I had a neighbor stand next to it and listen for me and said its definitely coming from the rear wheels. I know it’s hard to tell from the video but it’s definitely not exhaust flap sounds.
I have a feeling it’s a problem with the rear calipers, but not sure.
I hope I can figure it out to avoid a lengthy visit to the dealer, but may have no choice
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:32 PM   #16
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Does it change at all if you flip the brakes from sport to comfort and vice versa? It sounds too clunky and quick to be the calipers… they’re hydraulic… the pads don’t disengage enough to make that much of a clanking sound if they were clamping on. And the parking brake is screw servo driven, so it would again be too slow and would whine more. The valve controls are fairly close to where the back wheels are.

A while back, there was an issue on some Audis where from the factory, the valve controllers weren’t preloaded properly on the valves and would cause a rattle almost like a chatty internal wastegate flutter when it would try to partially articulate the valve. That’s kind of what it sounds like to me… I could be wrong, but it’s very metallic and clanky mental sounding to me in the video.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 09:34 AM   #17
Matt417
United_States
Rep

I did some more testing to try to narrow it down. It seems like it also happens with using auto-hold, but even more so. When I brake going forward and come to a stop, the noise will happen. But If I go in reverse and come to a stop with autohold Off (no matter if gently or normal) it does Not happen. But with playing around with all settings, when I put the auto hold on, it continues to happen going forward but Also when coming to a stop after reversing.

So it’s definitely a braking issue since (I assume) the auto hold is simply the rotors being clamped down to hold electronically while in traffic, etc

I added another clearer video, its the rear driver side wheel area. This is a slow forward about 8mph and coming to a stop. The sound may seem like someone is aggressively holding down the brake pedal but it’s a very gentle hold I have on it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xop0mp...ature=youtu.be
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 03:46 PM   #18
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Dumb question, but is it on both sides or just the driver’s side? Since it happens on hill hold, it possible it could be the parking brake because I think that’s what’s used for that… not sure for BMW for sure, but on Audi, yes.

That said, you can probably (if you want to) reach behind the wheel to the back of the caliper where the electronic plug is for the parking brake and unplug that. If it’s not engaged, you should be able to then move the car again and see if it still does it, or not, then you’ve got your answer and it needs to be taken in for the EPB motor/servo to be replaced on the caliper.

Is this car auto or manual?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 04:22 PM   #19
Matt417
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Dumb question, but is it on both sides or just the driver’s side? Since it happens on hill hold, it possible it could be the parking brake because I think that’s what’s used for that… not sure for BMW for sure, but on Audi, yes.

That said, you can probably (if you want to) reach behind the wheel to the back of the caliper where the electronic plug is for the parking brake and unplug that. If it’s not engaged, you should be able to then move the car again and see if it still does it, or not, then you’ve got your answer and it needs to be taken in for the EPB motor/servo to be replaced on the caliper.

It’s auto. Yes I already popped the rear wheels off today to give it a once over (and only then realized the brakes are drive by wire😵‍💫
Was going to do a manual adjustment but not possible. Not a dumb question at all, it sounds like it’s more on the driver side, but that could be the echo of the garage wall or just because I’m closer to it when driving..
I’ll give it a shot to disconnect and reconnect it. Do you happen to have or anyone else have the diagram of the rear brakes of where the servo is? Was going to spend the $150 for the service manual online to grab the diagram but I’ve have enough of this troubleshooting for today lol
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 05:02 PM   #20
Matt417
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post

Never mind that, found the connecter
Yep, that’s the culprit
Thank you for the help , much appreciated 🫡
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 09:43 PM   #21
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Yeah, they can’t be drive by wire. Just the parking brake (screw within the caliper piston) is electronic. Brakes are hydraulic.

Anyway, sounds like that’s the issue. What’s probably happening is when you come to a stop, the car is trying to engage the parking brake for some wacky reason, even when hill hold isn’t on. They’ll either replace the motors or the whole caliper… most likely the whole caliper.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:10 AM   #22
edi221
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt417 View Post
Never mind that, found the connecter
Yep, that’s the culprit
Thank you for the help , much appreciated 🫡
Hello, so does that mean just unplug the connector and plug in again?

Seems to be the same problem for me and looking for solution.
Appreciate 0