BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-12-2023, 07:41 PM   #1
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

To cold start or not to cold start, that is the question

LOL, but seriously how many of your are running 93 or ethanol and not running the cold start process (high rpm idle) which can be removed with BM3? I am but wondering if it effects anything. Believe its for warming up cats in cold weather, personally down south it doesn't get that cold to warrant it imho, but i could be fucking up cats or who really knows.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 03:31 AM   #2
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, M1000RR

What degrades cats is temperature, not lack of it. They however only do their jobs when hot, so there's that.

The cold start procedure is only there to shorten the time the cats take until they're in there effective range, to meet emissions targets.

I've got no more cats in my setup, so I'd love to get rid of the cold start procedure, it's quite obnoxious specially when truly cold, ie stopped for 2+ hours.
Appreciate 0