bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-08-2023, 08:00 AM   #1
winter.zed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Boxster 718/982

Album artwork and reindexing in iDrive 8

Some of my album artwork was not showing in id8 even after I spent hours with the mp3tag app making sure they are all there.

After some experimenting I found that a max pixel size under 1000 for the longest edge (I used 950) for the artwork will always work. Previously I had some artwork at 1200 pixels - for whatever reason. (some legit, some not...)

Also - I found that changing the volume label of the USB device would force a re-index and that is the only way the new art will come up. Otherwise Idrive will just use the cached metadata and not show the resized artwork.

Hope this saves some time and frustration for somebody
Appreciate 3
MPR1811.00
      03-08-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
Crazy One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42

Do you know how to get artwork on radio stations?
Out of 30 stations only 1 one is showing artwork for the station logo and the cd cover when playing. The rest are just bmw geometric graphics.
In Mercedes all the stations have graphics so it is not the station fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 06:13 PM   #3
winter.zed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy One View Post
Do you know how to get artwork on radio stations?
Out of 30 stations only 1 one is showing artwork for the station logo and the cd cover when playing. The rest are just bmw geometric graphics.
In Mercedes all the stations have graphics so it is not the station fault.
I don't. It seems to depend on the head unit. In my Boxster I don't get any icons for radio stations, in my previous Jetta, which was 2 years older - I did get a few...
Same with the BMW. I get some.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2023, 05:14 AM   #4
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.zed View Post
Some of my album artwork was not showing in id8 even after I spent hours with the mp3tag app making sure they are all there.

After some experimenting I found that a max pixel size under 1000 for the longest edge (I used 950) for the artwork will always work. Previously I had some artwork at 1200 pixels - for whatever reason. (some legit, some not...)

Also - I found that changing the volume label of the USB device would force a re-index and that is the only way the new art will come up. Otherwise Idrive will just use the cached metadata and not show the resized artwork.

I am also trying to organize a “Music Collection” replacement USB for ID8. What is the largest size it will display? I have 1000x1000 but it can still be blurry when displayed on the media player full screen. FYI I haven’t gotten my car yet just tried on different ID8 cars like G20LCI or G70 etc, so anytime I try something I have to find a car of a friend or go to the dealer to try it with
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 11:14 PM   #5
winter.zed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
I am also trying to organize a “Music Collection” replacement USB for ID8. What is the largest size it will display? I have 1000x1000 but it can still be blurry when displayed on the media player full screen.
I went from 1200 straight down to 1000 - and that worked. Have not tried anything between. Did not have much time to spend to find exact limit.
I never run the media player full screen - so not an issue.
An album artwork provides no "useful information" and I just like to see as many things as possible on that nice big screen
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 10:39 AM   #6
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I went from 1200 straight down to 1000 - and that worked. Have not tried anything between. Did not have much time to spend to find exact limit.
I never run the media player full screen - so not an issue.
An album artwork provides no "useful information" and I just like to see as many things as possible on that nice big screen
Thanks, I will try to resize them a little higher but below 1200. Maybe 1024? I will report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 12:28 PM   #7
SimSimma240i
Rep
Drives: BMW 240i

Quote:

I wanted to say thank you for this information.

I attempted to update the album art for about 30 songs, 3 times (using 1500 pixels, 900 pixels, 500 pixels) and was unsuccessful each time.

Tried different pixels and my BMW wouldn’t recognize any changes. (I used Windows Media Player to update the album art - no other software)

I finally read your post and tried to rename the USB key. That seems to have done the trick. I ended up using 1000 pixels to be safe.

Thanks again as it took me a couple hours making new photos/updating the usb and going in and out of the car.

Appreciate it 👍
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2023, 12:57 PM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Pro tip: For any of you guys with a Mac and your music stored in iTunes, I highly recommend a nice little cheap ($5 IIRC) app in the App Store called Export for iTunes. It will resize your artwork as well as do a ton of other useful stuff, like exporting playlists.
Appreciate 0