BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Review of my BMW X1 X Drive 23i M Sport Premier

03-01-2023, 05:18 AM   #1
YoungG
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.3i MSport Premier

Review of my BMW X1 X Drive 23i M Sport Premier

I should introduce myself as a long time viewer of this site so thank you for the many tips and guidance over the years. It’s probably only right that I have at last registered and share my experience with you all. I am a perennial BMW owner starting in 2000 when I left a company car scheme taking the cash alternative, with my current car being BMW number nine. For me it is function over form as can be seen from the list – certainly not the fastest but rarely the slowest model on sale, plus it’s not all about speed and acceleration (okay maybe a bit!!).

• E46 316i SE
• E46 316i SE Touring
• E91 320i SE Touring
• E60 520D M Sport
• F30 320D Luxury
• F30 320i M Sport
• F25 X3 X Drive 2.0D X XLine
• G01 X3 X Drive 2.0D M Sport
• U11 X1 X Drive 23i M Sport Premier

My practice has been to renew my between 30 months and 42 months. So having bought the G01 X3 in late 2019 it was time to change, although I had thought about keeping it for another 12 months as mileage was pretty low – couldn’t go far during Covid!! – and the X3 was an excellent car. I went along to the dealer launch event of the new X1 at the beginning of last October and while impressed with the X1 I had pretty much decided I was going to keep the X3 for a while longer. However, a few days later a call from the dealership changed all this.

They had a transporter of various launch models on the way so would I be interested to see what’s available, take a demo out for a test drive……and they wanted the X3! To cut a long story short I took delivery of my new X1 at the end of October. Gone are the dealer or BMW FS contributions and low rate finance with the “equity” contribution in the value of the X3. The X1 is a Premier launch model meaning that in addition to standard M Sport specification for the UK it has 20 inch Individual alloy wheels, sun protection glass, electric driver’s seat and memory, sliding rear seats and, rather randomly, a towbar. My colour is Black Sapphire Metallic. Picture attached.

So 4 months in here are my views:
• When I first saw the pictures of the new X1 I was initially unsure about the size of the grill but in real life this and indeed the whole car looks well proportioned, particularly with the 20 inch wheels.
• “Downsizing” from the X3 was not as dramatic as I thought, with plenty space inside, front and in the back. Although the boot is smaller I can get my golf clubs in length-ways without taking the driver (longest club) out the bag.
• The cabin is a big step forward from previous recent BMWs – displays are very driver centric and easy to use, once you’ve had a good “play” to work it all out. I thought I would miss having a conventional gear stick and the I-drive controller, but not at all. Like the floating centre console although my pet gripe is the opening of the arm-rest – the hinge is on the wrong side for a right hand drive car.
• Seats are very comfortable – they are alcantara/sensatec (standard in M Sport) – having the electric adjustment really helps as well. All in all a great driving position and I am really impressed with the quality of the interior.
• So how does it drive? Having the 23i it revs well and is quick off the mark. Certainly not as “wallowy” as the X3 and really composed going round tight bends at speed. Not really noticed the difference between the 8-speed auto in the X3 and 7-speed steptronic in the X1 – although there is a very slight occasional hesitancy when pulling away from junctions. Not used the e-boost as drive mostly in “Personal” mode.
• Like most places some of the roads here are pretty horrendous and on a particularly bad one you know you are on 20 inch wheels! However, on a piece of smooth tarmac the X1 is a delight to drive. In my 4 months of ownership I’ve driven 3,000 miles on various roads from motorways, to twisty B roads and really the X1 handles them all well. Coming from diesel to petrol again I am surprised how good fuel consumption is – mid 30’s mpg – on mainly short local journeys, stretching to over 40mpg on longer runs., and certainly better than my previous F30 320i. I guess the 48v battery must help.
• Some may question why not the hybrid or full electric version? They weren’t available in October – yes I could order but I am happy with my deal back then. Cost – hybrid is c. £5K+ more with iX1 c. £10K+ more. Plus charging infrastructure needs to improve.

I hope this is of interest. I’ve probably missed something out, but if you guys want to ask anything about the X1 just comment below. I’ve probably only seen 2 other new X1’s on the road locally, so from reading comments on here I guess delivery times still an issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Mechta17.50
MontyB11426.00
BMWZ41914.00
timesone187.50
PatL28.50
      03-01-2023, 05:32 AM   #2
Mechta
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1 (on order)

Great review, thank you, I have an iX1 or order with 20 inch wheels and M- suspension and very happy to read that car handles the road well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 06:23 AM   #3
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Great review and the car looks great.

Seems a few more are starting to trickle out to dealers now with some hybrids and iX1 also getting to customers. Hope this is the start of a few reviews by people. Really interested to see the views on the hybrid, we have a 25e on order but nearly went for a 23i decided to role the dice and stuck with the 19" for ride and she might be slightly less likely to kerb them, maybe, hopefully, ok maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 09:06 AM   #4
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Great review and the car looks great.

Seems a few more are starting to trickle out to dealers now with some hybrids and iX1 also getting to customers. Hope this is the start of a few reviews by people. Really interested to see the views on the hybrid, we have a 25e on order but nearly went for a 23i decided to role the dice and stuck with the 19" for ride and she might be slightly less likely to kerb them, maybe, hopefully, ok maybe not.
I am getting ours 30e tomorrow and then we have an already planned 2000kms trip so i will share some real life data
Appreciate 1
MontyB11426.00
      11-27-2023, 09:24 AM   #5
palimad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 530d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechta View Post
Great review, thank you, I have an iX1 or order with 20 inch wheels and M- suspension and very happy to read that car handles the road well.
Hello Mechta, how do you rate the ride quality on those wheels and suspension? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 09:51 AM   #6
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungG View Post
I should introduce myself as a long time viewer of this site so thank you for the many tips and guidance over the years. It’s probably only right that I have at last registered and share my experience with you all. I am a perennial BMW owner starting in 2000 when I left a company car scheme taking the cash alternative, with my current car being BMW number nine. For me it is function over form as can be seen from the list – certainly not the fastest but rarely the slowest model on sale, plus it’s not all about speed and acceleration (okay maybe a bit!!).

• E46 316i SE
• E46 316i SE Touring
• E91 320i SE Touring
• E60 520D M Sport
• F30 320D Luxury
• F30 320i M Sport
• F25 X3 X Drive 2.0D X XLine
• G01 X3 X Drive 2.0D M Sport
• U11 X1 X Drive 23i M Sport Premier

My practice has been to renew my between 30 months and 42 months. So having bought the G01 X3 in late 2019 it was time to change, although I had thought about keeping it for another 12 months as mileage was pretty low – couldn’t go far during Covid!! – and the X3 was an excellent car. I went along to the dealer launch event of the new X1 at the beginning of last October and while impressed with the X1 I had pretty much decided I was going to keep the X3 for a while longer. However, a few days later a call from the dealership changed all this.

They had a transporter of various launch models on the way so would I be interested to see what’s available, take a demo out for a test drive……and they wanted the X3! To cut a long story short I took delivery of my new X1 at the end of October. Gone are [...]
Thanks for the review. Of the 8 previous BMW which was your favorite?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
YoungG
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.3i MSport Premier

Now you are asking!!

Each BMW served a purpose at that particular time and none have let me down. For example, the Tourings for the kids bicycles on the roof and all the gear in the back for holidays.

However, I do have a sweet spot for the E60 5 Series - my first automatic and so comfortable to drive. I enjoyed the 2nd F30 - although only a 2 litre it fair moved particulary in Sport mode!

The X3's and now the X1 are so practical and great for getting all the golf gear in the boot (trunk!!), and prefer the higher driving position.

Hope this answers your question.
Appreciate 0