bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-07-2023, 12:11 AM   #1
GargoyleBWM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
BMW M Performance Drive Analyzer

Curious if anyone has tried the M Performance Drive Analyzer (Android App + OBDII reader) on their G42?

I downloaded the app a while ago--which is very limited without the official package which I have not purchased from BMW yet.

BMW says it is compatible, just wondering if it is worth the $266 for a port reader that links with the phone app and the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 01:41 AM   #2
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

personally, I would say that it is not worth the money. in reality, do you really think you are going to be driving the vehicle at 10/10ths? why would you need to pay $266 for something that you will use once or twice?
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 10:39 PM   #3
GargoyleBWM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
personally, I would say that it is not worth the money. in reality, do you really think you are going to be driving the vehicle at 10/10ths? why would you need to pay $266 for something that you will use once or twice?
Well, I already tracked the car once this past summer (autocross) and I am planning to do so much more. Thus "once or twice" is a bit of an underestimate. I am an admitted dataphile and am getting into recording video on the track...

(also when I am 4-wheeling in my Tacoma).
The sport display on the M240i seems to be a little lacking (ie I have to go into the car status menu to see tire pressure and temp when on the track). I would like to know that info plus the oil temp, tranny temp, etc when I am driving it hard.

All opinions count--so thanks for the input. I am just hoping for feedback from someone who may already have the OBD system, and has used it a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 03:24 PM   #4
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

By all means if you think you will use it and appreciate the added functionality go for it. And yes when you are tracking a car that stuff is important. Actually me I'd rather have that functionality than the sun/moon roof.
Appreciate 0