bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-30-2023, 09:46 AM   #1
mark2er
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i G42

Parking sensors lose track

Weird one, I've got a 2 week old 220i with a strange problem.

The front parking sensors, in certain repeatable cases, lose track of an object when they get too close. Essentially a tall curb/kerb will entirely disappear from the display just before the sensors should be indicating red. If you turn the car off and on again it's very aware of the obstacle.

I've already managed to brush a curb/kerb with very bottom of the front bumper because I didn't appreciate what was happening.

I feel a little better about it now I've worked out how I managed to do it but wondering if anyone else has spotted this. Should really check which software version I'm running, it's an ID8 car.

Has anyone else seen this?
Appreciate 1
eddj464.50
      01-30-2023, 09:57 AM   #2
mark2er
Rep

https://youtube.com/shorts/obwvo5xyHnw
Appreciate 1
eddj464.50
      01-31-2023, 08:36 AM   #3
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2er View Post
Weird one, I've got a 2 week old 220i with a strange problem.

The front parking sensors, in certain repeatable cases, lose track of an object when they get too close. Essentially a tall curb/kerb will entirely disappear from the display just before the sensors should be indicating red. If you turn the car off and on again it's very aware of the obstacle.

I've already managed to brush a curb/kerb with very bottom of the front bumper because I didn't appreciate what was happening.

I feel a little better about it now I've worked out how I managed to do it but wondering if anyone else has spotted this. Should really check which software version I'm running, it's an ID8 car.

Has anyone else seen this?
I am 99% I have the same problem as you , with a id8 as well . ANd since I picked up the car in October not just recently. Back sensors totally working fine at all times. But the front sensors, although I have them to automatically pop up on screen when I am parking and when they detect something in the front, they dont "pop up " even if I am very close to the obstacles in the front. And if I press manually the PDC button, they will display me they detect them as green and yellow....
But also sometimes when I approach an obstacle, it doesnt detect it at all and if I wait a couple of seconds it will suddenly see it and the sensor going between yellow , red , green , even if I stopped the car ; and sometimes it will not detect it at all .
One thing also I noticed it happened, in 2-3 occasions while driving moderately on highway I would suddenly see the PDC pop up on screen while no obstacle or car in front close enough while displaying in red it detected an obstacle and with the related red sound alert like I was very close to crash into it. And after 2-3 seconds it would dissapear by itself...
I suspect its more of a software bug than sensors being faulty, so I went to the service 1 month ago and ofc as I was expecting they said they didnt discover anything faulty with the sensors and they are working as expected....
But clearly they arent...
Now I dont know what to do anymore, other than waiting maybe the next OTA update would fix this issue somehow if its indeed a software/firmware related issue only ?

Please keep me posted with any updates regarding to this, maybe your service department will be more knowledgeable with this and they will be able to solve yours.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
mark2er
Rep

I have had the same thought about software, it does have that feel, so have been checking for updates. Will definitely update if I get anywhere.
Appreciate 1
eddj464.50