BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) F****** safety systems

01-27-2023, 04:26 PM   #1
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

F****** safety systems

Well I've had my car 2 months now and although I love it mostly, tonight was not a good experience.

I take my daughter to gym every day and we got to our turning as usual, I indicated left (I'm in the UK so driving on the left) and there was a jogger on the pavement looking like he was going to go straight across the road. I slowed down to make sure he was stopping which he did, so I gently accelerated to go around the corner at which point the car thought I was going to run him over, even though he was still on the pavement and nowhere near the road, and it promptly did an emergency stop. Well as the backend of the car was still sticking out on the road I was unfortunately rear ended. Obviously the guy behind was too close but he also didn't expect a car to do an emergency stop on a clear road.

Although the damage isn't too bad, I'm completely fuming as it wouldn't have happened without these stupid safety systems which are a complete liability. I swapped to this car because the one before tried to steer me into a lorry on a motorway, once again because of safety systems and I thought BMW would be more reliable.

Just venting.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 05:14 PM   #2
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Oh no hope you and everyone is ok. They are good until they aren’t I guess. They do make mistakes horrible when something like this happens and it’s the cars not your fault.

It’s like the reports of BMW and Audi accelerating to 100 mph because they are on auto speed and if it’s a quick motor it will try to take off. If you have a dashcam maybe a conversation to BMW though they will I’m sure not be liable.

Maybe share your settings on the X1 and see if others have had similar and they need to be set lower.

Metal can be replaced, it’s annoying but your all ok that’s the main thing.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 06:11 PM   #3
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I forgot, the bloody drive recorder didn't do anything. I forgot to hold the button as I wasn't really thinking about it at the time, but I thought it will be okay as it would have recorded the impact. Absolutely nothing recorded, so that was a wasted option as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 07:00 PM   #4
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Yeah I forgot, the bloody drive recorder didn't do anything. I forgot to hold the button as I wasn't really thinking about it at the time, but I thought it will be okay as it would have recorded the impact. Absolutely nothing recorded, so that was a wasted option as well.
The accident probably wasn’t extreme enough. Per an article I read:

“From the moment you enable camera recording, the BMW Drive Recorder will film unstoppably. However, it is only after an accident gets detected by the crash sensors that the footage is saved. The maximum length of recordings takes only up to 40 seconds – 20 before the accident happens and 20 after – which are the most relevant developments of the event.”

If you do it manually you have to be quick:

“There’s also the manual way of using the BMW Drive Recorder. If you just want to save a specific situation – something you yourself would love to see in a YouTube compilation – you can activate the recorder with a push of the Panorama View button, or by selecting ‘Start recording’ in the home screen app. Just like with automatic recording, the footage is saved in a 40-second loop – 20 seconds before the push of the button and 20 after. However, if you prefer to record for a shorter period of time, you’re also free to do so. Just specify it in the BMW Driver Recorder settings and choose your footage length from 5 up to 20 seconds.”

I’m sorry about your new X1 getting rear ended, but at least you are OK.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 07:45 PM   #5
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Well I've had my car 2 months now and although I love it mostly, tonight was not a good experience.

I take my daughter to gym every day and we got to our turning as usual, I indicated left (I'm in the UK so driving on the left) and there was a jogger on the pavement looking like he was going to go straight across the road. I slowed down to make sure he was stopping which he did, so I gently accelerated to go around the corner at which point the car thought I was going to run him over, even though he was still on the pavement and nowhere near the road, and it promptly did an emergency stop. Well as the backend of the car was still sticking out on the road I was unfortunately rear ended. Obviously the guy behind was too close but he also didn't expect a car to do an emergency stop on a clear road.

Although the damage isn't too bad, I'm completely fuming as it wouldn't have happened without these stupid safety systems which are a complete liability. I swapped to this car because the one before tried to steer me into a lorry on a motorway, once again because of safety systems and I thought BMW would be more reliable.

Just venting.
I know this is sort of a small detail but do you know what feature caused the problem? Was it the collision detection, lane departure or blind spot monitoring?

I know some of the VW Atlas (I think it was the Atlas) were doing the same thing up here in Canada because of the snow on the roads. Sometimes when the roads were really full of snow the SUV would think there was something in front of it and emergency break. I assume they've fixed that pretty quick.

I'm sorry something that should be a "feature" turned into the "cause" of your problems. :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 08:25 PM   #6
bcdx93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X1

I think it is "automatic emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection" system at working.

Maybe in the situation of this just let the pedestrian walk across the street first is a better choice.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41914.00
      01-27-2023, 08:26 PM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Wouldn't it be the Pedestrian setting? Forget exactly what it's called. I turned it off on my x3mc along with a few other nanny features. I might even have turned it off on my wife's...can't recall
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 08:27 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdx93 View Post
I think it is "automatic emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection" system at working.

Maybe in the situation of this just let the pedestrian walk across the street first is a better choice.
Agreed. Didn't see your post otherwise I wouldn't have posted...
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 06:00 AM   #9
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Very sorry to hear about this.

We still have our driver assistance functions set to full nanny mode as a consequence of our earlier lane departure warning fun and games.

Just been relating your tale of woe to the missus and we are considering using some of the less aggressive settings now.
      01-28-2023, 07:32 AM   #10
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

what would have happened if the emergency braking suddenly kicked in for no good reason while the car was going down a snowy curvy road?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 08:23 AM   #11
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
what would have happened if the emergency braking suddenly kicked in for no good reason while the car was going down a snowy curvy road?
That wouldn't happen...holy moly
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 09:06 AM   #12
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
That wouldn't happen...holy moly
I was asking a rhetorical question, as that had already happened to me on another vehicle's emergency braking system... although that was caused by ice on the front camera lens. fortunately, it only resulted in scratches to the bumper/fender as the car skidded several feet and brushed against a couple of delineators.

technology is a wonderful thing, yes? (like this other one, from an actual Cadillac XT5 review video)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 09:12 AM   #13
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

I have many, many instances driving up to the cottage in Quebec over the years. Any BMW I've owned that had front facing cameras covered in ice/snow ALWAYS generated a message that certain services were not available. Drive accordingly (not the OP as it's possible to tone down that crazy pedestrian feature).

As for Merc's...never owned one so can't speak to their software flaws.

All these seemingly innocuous (nanny) features are bs - didn't have them years ago, don't need them now.

Shoulder check, don't fall asleep at the wheel, watch what's behind you before backing up etc etc....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 09:13 AM   #14
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

[QUOTE=BMWZ4;29782471]I have many, many instances driving up to the cottage in Quebec over the years. Any BMW I've owned that had front facing cameras covered in ice/snow ALWAYS generated a message that certain services were not available. Drive accordingly (not the OP as it's possible to tone down that crazy pedestrian feature).

As for Merc's...never owned one so can't speak to their software flaws.

All these seemingly innocuous (nanny) features are bs - didn't have them years ago, don't need them now.

Shoulder check, don't fall asleep at the wheel, watch what's behind you before backing up etc etc....

P.s.how would I know your question wasn't just that, a question vs. rhetorical
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 01:41 PM   #15
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

speaking of safety systems....

I have never been able to figure out what the X1 will do when traveling at 70mph(not in cruise control) and the car ahead starts braking suddenly.

If the X1 has the "Driving Assistance Professional" option, it is supposed to come to a stop in that scenario, but only if cruise control is in use, at least that's what BMW's literature states.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 02:23 PM   #16
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
speaking of safety systems....

I have never been able to figure out what the X1 will do when traveling at 70mph(not in cruise control) and the car ahead starts braking suddenly.

If the X1 has the "Driving Assistance Professional" option, it is supposed to come to a stop in that scenario, but only if cruise control is in use, at least that's what BMW's literature states.
Or...pay attention to the traffic ahead of you and apply the brakes...😉
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 02:26 PM   #17
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Oh no hope you and everyone is ok. They are good until they aren’t I guess. They do make mistakes horrible when something like this happens and it’s the cars not your fault.

It’s like the reports of BMW and Audi accelerating to 100 mph because they are on auto speed and if it’s a quick motor it will try to take off. If you have a dashcam maybe a conversation to BMW though they will I’m sure not be liable.

Maybe share your settings on the X1 and see if others have had similar and they need to be set lower.

Metal can be replaced, it’s annoying but your all ok that’s the main thing.
My M340i does this. I believe it's down to dodgy map data as it's changed places in my town over the past few years. There's a few areas in the middle of town where it's a 30mph limit and the car thinks it's 120mph. It can come as a surprise when it does this if you're not following someone!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 10:22 AM   #18
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdx93 View Post
He'd stopped and so had I mostly, he waited so I moved forward, nothing in front but the system still activated. It's done something similar reversing or of a parking space, it warned about a car passing which I let go by, he was long gone so I continued to reverse at which point it slammed the anchors on. I couldn't reverse anymore I had to go forward before I could reverse. I guess this was a similar occurrence as after the accident I couldn't move forward, or backwards obviously until I'd turned the car off. I just think these nanny systems are actually dangerous in some situations. If I'm honest it's put me off the car a little.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41914.00
      01-30-2023, 10:11 AM   #19
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

There is no setting to control the pedestrian and other emergency braking sensitivity?, if there is, where? ( I could not find it)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #20
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saws View Post
There is no setting to control the pedestrian and other emergency braking sensitivity?, if there is, where? ( I could not find it)
Look for Forward Collision Mitigation in your owner's manual
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 07:59 PM   #21
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X1

I had to create this meme because a lot of the things I was worried about are not even a concern because we don't have them in our X1. :-)

Edit: I just wanted to point out that of course I'm not laughing at the OP's situation, I'm laughing at myself for being worried that I would need to disable the feature just to realize I don't have it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rags2Rags; 01-30-2023 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: More details
Appreciate 0