BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing how to brake in 530e

10-17-2022, 02:28 PM   #1
TomVH
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Question how to brake in 530e

Hello,

2 weeks ago i received my 530e. What.a.machine :-)

In the instruction manual i read that the first 2000 km to stay below 4500 rpm and 160kmh.

The dealer told me to ignore this and just drive.
I choose to follow the instuction manual :-)

I am reading the total mileage and subtract the e-driven miles to get the "real" brake-in miles.

Untill now i have been switching between hybrid and adaptive, but i read somewhere that forcing the ICE to always run ( by always activating sport mode during brake-in) is a better, faster way to brake-in the car.

Good idea, but doesn't this damage the ICE, battery or other parts ?

Thank you for your thoughts and kind regards,
Tom.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 12:16 PM   #2
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

run the ice when you first get it, get it to temp, break it in, eg for 100kms, switch to hybrid, use it. do this for the break in period.

change engine oil after break in, get it to redline for another break in period to, change oil. now your engine is baked in.

the piston rings and the other metal parts need to get up to temp and get to know each other at 1000-4500 rpm. it shaves off metal in the process. then you want it to get to know each other at 4500-redline. then you want to maintain it by giving good heat to engine oil.

the hybrid does seem to get in the way - not sure how you maintain the ICE if it doesn't get temp sorry.

beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:34 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I activated Sport mode on my X5 45e for every drive to break-in and doing the same with the 530e. it’s unnecessary to change the oil after the break-in. if you’re adamant about getting the oil changed after break-in, you’ll pay out of pocket as it’s a non-covered service. it’s only covered for ///M vehicles (not M Sport vehicles)
Appreciate 0