BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #1
SinatraM
Rep
Drives: 20 GTR

G80 XDrive vs GTR

Looking to purchase my next vehicle, I've been really regretting selling my 2017 GTR that I owned for less than 80k..... few years back. Anyone have the luxury of owning and/or driving both vehicles back to back. I'm torn between the two.
2019 M2C HS 6MT (sold Aug '22)
2020 Nissan GTR 50th(Current)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinatraM View Post
Looking to purchase my next vehicle, I've been really regretting selling my 2017 GTR that I owned for less than 80k..... few years back. Anyone have the luxury of owning and/or driving both vehicles back to back. I'm torn between the two.
To me, it's all about if your going for more power. If you are looking to stay stock, I say go M. They are pretty much the same car in stock form. Sad that the M isn't faster than a 10 year old GTR but oh well🤪M has more comfort and features. If your looking to smoke fools, GTR is the way to go. Once built, It's almost impossible to beat. Good luck
Appreciate 3
GixY2K517.00
Jon H391.50
      07-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #3
SinatraM
Rep
Drives: 20 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
To me, it's all about if your going for more power. If you are looking to stay stock, I say go M. They are pretty much the same car in stock form. Sad that the M isn't faster than a 10 year old GTR but oh well🤪M has more comfort and features. If your looking to smoke fools, GTR is the way to go. Once built, It's almost impossible to beat. Good luck
The big selling point of the GTR to me is value holding. I know they will continue to rise with the end of production.
2019 M2C HS 6MT (sold Aug '22)
2020 Nissan GTR 50th(Current)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinatraM View Post
Quote:
The big selling point of the GTR to me is value holding. I know they will continue to rise with the end of production.
Yes. They have held very well. Even before all this nonsense happened. Cannot say that about M vehicles.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 01:33 PM   #5
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
To me, it's all about if your going for more power. If you are looking to stay stock, I say go M. They are pretty much the same car in stock form. Sad that the M isn't faster than a 10 year old GTR but oh well��M has more comfort and features. If your looking to smoke fools, GTR is the way to go. Once built, It's almost impossible to beat. Good luck
G MONEY pretty much summed it up.

Two things to add. The GTR will get you more attention. And, if you're looking at it as an investment, I believe that ship has sailed. New GTRs have a mark up of ~$100K and used ones are about $30K above normal market value; used GTR market is slightly flooded as well, averaging 200 units nation wide and taking months to sell. How do I know, because I suffer from "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome, and always check the GTR market to see if its worth buying another one again. But I think, that will never happen, at least for me. The car will keep its current mark up value for a long time.

But don't feel bad. I sold mine back in late '18 for $65K, FBO/e85, Black Edition, '14 model w/19k miles. It's just how the cookie crumbles

Last edited by GixY2K; 07-14-2022 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
YamaLink425.00
Jon H391.50
      07-14-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
Quote:
To me, it's all about if your going for more power. If you are looking to stay stock, I say go M. They are pretty much the same car in stock form. Sad that the M isn't faster than a 10 year old GTR but oh well��M has more comfort and features. If your looking to smoke fools, GTR is the way to go. Once built, It's almost impossible to beat. Good luck
G MONEY pretty much summed it up.

Two things to add. The GTR will get you more attention. And, if you're looking at it as an investment, I believe that ship has sailed. New GTRs have a mark up of ~$100K and used ones are about $30K above normal market value; used GTR market is slightly flooded as well, averaging 200 units nation wide and taking months to sell. How do I know, because I suffer from "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome, and always check the GTR market to see if its worth buying another one again. But I think, that will never happen, at least for me. The car will keep its current mark up value for a long time.

But don't feel bad. I sold mine back in late '18 for $65K, FBO/e85, Black Edition, '14 model w/19k miles. It's just how the cookie crumbles
People get so upset when the GTR holds and the M cars plummet. But oh well. I have never bought a car and gave two shits about the value when I'm done with it. If that's your mindset you're in the wrong game. M cars have always sucked at holding. It's one of those facts of life. Get over it or man up and buy the P cars:-)
Appreciate 2
Tyga113235.50
Nate.G82521.00
      07-14-2022, 05:59 PM   #7
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
      07-14-2022, 06:05 PM   #8
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Quote:
0-60 and 1/4 mile🤪
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 01:33 PM   #9
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

I had a 2017 GT-R that I now regret selling as well as a 2009 and 2013. Racked up about 200k miles over the GT-Rs. I miss it but with how the market is going, there's no way I'd buy another at the asking prices these days. I bought my 2017 brand new for the same price they're going for now with 50k+ miles. No thanks.

Performance wise, the biggest thing I miss about the GT-R over M3 xDrive is the handling and steering feel. Stock straight line speed feels the same I guess. GT-R aftermarket is MASSIVE vs the M3. Hopefully the M3 catches up soon, especially in the tuning department. It's not just the xDrive like the RWD guys claim. My MKV Supra had lousy steering feel as well due to the electronic steering.

Prefer the GT-R trans over the ZF. With an OTS trans tune, it really smoothed out low speed stuff in the GT-R so the ZF advantage in that aspect is reduced. ZF trans doesn't feel as fun or engaging to me vs the GR6.

Like previously mentioned, the M3 doesn't get nearly the amount of attention as the GT-R did. If that's your thing.

The M3 does make for a great daily driver and is much more comfortable. The tech and interior is leaps and bounds over the GT-R and very easy to get lost in the settings. I prefer the HVAC dials and mode switches in the GT-R. The M1 and M2 buttons are close enough though.

Aside from downpipes, I feel that the GT-R is easier to work on. I like the idea of being able to change brake pads without removing calipers and bleeding brakes without software.

BMW >>>> Nissan service. Nissan was absolute dog shit in my experience. I never went back after the 1st POS.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 2
YamaLink425.00
      07-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #10
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

I remember asking about the GTR in 2009, I think that was the year. About 69K, and the local dealer would only sell to certain professions and he interviewed them. WTF. I despised that dealership since, but my head still spins seeing a GTR.
Wasn't there some issue with the transmission blowing when drivers accelerated too hard? After that fix there was a used one for 64K and extended warranty. The coulda/woulda/shouldas for the GTR get me everytime
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 04:00 PM   #11
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
I remember asking about the GTR in 2009, I think that was the year. About 69K, and the local dealer would only sell to certain professions and he interviewed them. WTF. I despised that dealership since, but my head still spins seeing a GTR.
Wasn't there some issue with the transmission blowing when drivers accelerated too hard? After that fix there was a used one for 64K and extended warranty. The coulda/woulda/shouldas for the GTR get me everytime
2009 Launch control was crazy aggressive. It was fixed for 2010
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 05:02 AM   #12
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
The initial version of launch control was way too aggressive and people were driving through the wheel hop which resulted in busted things. 09s also had the steering lock recall which would leave you stranded randomly. Also a TSB for an issue that caused the gearbox to lockup all 4 wheels. Happened to me while making a left turn across traffic. Man that car was such a piece of shit. I miss it. lol

Amazing value when the R35 first came out and was a game changer. Hopefully when and if the R36 comes out it can provide the same excitement.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 04:47 PM   #13
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Wow,

I think the GTR market has reached a new level of RIDICULOUSNESS!!!

Nissan dealership at Santa Clara, CA is asking $500K for their '21 special edition and $220K for their '23 Premium allocation.

Nissan of Ontario is asking $265K for their special edition with miles on it.
Another dealer in KY, won't sell their GTR because the owner is keeping it (yet, they have it on sale in CarGurus)

There are currently only 4 new '21 GTRs in the nation. The last one in New Jersey, I didn't even bother calling. Those guys are always in tralaland when it comes to pricing.

Keep in mind that the engine has not been updated practically since its inception. These prices are definitely for collectors with deep pockets and a huge love for the car.

Last edited by GixY2K; 09-14-2022 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #14
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
Wow,

I think the GTR market has reached a new level of RIDICULOUSNESS!!!

Nissan dealership at Santa Clara, CA is asking $500K for their '21 special edition and $220K for their '23 Premium allocation.

Nissan of Ontario is asking $256K for their special edition with miles on it.
Another dealer in KY, won't sell their GTR because the owner is keeping it (yet, they have it on sale in CarGurus)

There are currently only 4 new '21 GTRs in the nation. The last one in New Jersey, I didn't even bother calling. Those guys are always in tralaland when it comes to pricing.

Keep in mind that the engine has not been updated practically since its inception. These prices are definitely for collectors with deep pockets and a huge love for the car.
I was passed by a Blue R-33 the other night. It was clean and sounded sick. I may have to get an R-34 next year 🤣
Appreciate 2
GixY2K517.00